“Excellent and friendly hotel”

Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Portales, New Mexico
“Excellent and friendly hotel”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

An amazing full service hotel that allows pets. My wife and I checked in late and was starving the friendly staff allowed us to order food although technically it was past the restaurants closing time. We got a basic room which was very spacious and had a beautiful view overlooking the lake. The cost was a little high for the room though.

Also again which was a huge and main factor was the fact that they are pet friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel B
Stephen M, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Daniel B:

As a pet owner and lover myself and know firsthand how important the can be in our everyday lives. I am pleased that we could be of service and hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Chateau.

Stephen Marshall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 July 2014

After an 8 hour drive we arrived at Chateau on the Lake around 10 pm exhausted and anxious to get settled. We were checked in by Eric. I clearly stated to Eric what we had reserved for our room and his response was “We’ve gotcha handled.” Our first room was not what he told us it would be. So, I went back to the front desk and there was Eric again, who must be a relative of the owner because he is horrible at his job. I informed him that the room was not what he promised and instead of an apology, he blamed the computer. He immediately looked down at his computer and searched for another room for what seemed like an eternity although the parking lot was practically empty. Meanwhile, my wife rolled her eyes and went for a walk. Finally, Eric found a room and eventually apologized for the inconvenience. It’s was now 11pm. We went up to inspect the room which was the correct room type. My wife turned on the faucet and immediately the aerator and security ring shot off the end of the faucet. The $240 room was outdated, seemed dirty and even the towels didn’t look fresh. My wife wanted to leave but I convinced her to stay because I was too tired to search for another hotel. The next morning she was so anxious to leave that she shot out of bed and beat me to the shower (highly unusual.) I went to see the hotel manager to convey my disappointing experience at his hotel and explain why I was only staying one night instead of four. Paul was apologetic and seemed to listen to my comments about our experience. He stated that he was sorry that they failed to meet our expectations. Paul thought he was being gracious by not charging us for the 50% early departure penalty. He closed our statement and charged us the full $240 for our one night at their outdated, dirty hotel room with the dangerous faucet. Needless to say, we will never return. On a side note, the bellman was apologetic for our painful check-in experience, only part of which he witnessed. The bellman provided extremely good service and was very pleasant. I’m sorry we didn’t get his name because I’d recommend he be promoted to front desk manager immediately.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. The Holiday Inn Express in Branson looked new.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 1964bill
Stephen M, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear 1964bill:
It is always our goal to meet if not exceed the expectations of our guests. It is obvious based on your review we did not do so on this occasion. I can understand ones disappointment when initial expectations are not fulfilled especially after a long day. It certainly was unfortunate that you and your wife were not able to experience all that the Chateau has to offer during your expected four night stay. My apologies for any inconveniences it may have caused. Your feedback and comments will be used as a training opportunity and shared with those mentioned in your review. Despite our shortcomings I trust your stay in Branson was a pleasant one.

Regards,
Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family and a friend of the family spent an extended weekend at the Chateau on the Lake. The hotel is nothing special, we upgraded our room to a suite with a lake view. The lake view was worth it but the room needs updating. The décor is drab and the amenities in the room are nothing special. We were booked for a two double bed suite, when we arrived we got a king size bed suite with a pull out bed for my daughters. I think they would have had better luck sleeping on the floor, the mattress was very thin. We rented wave runners one day and a boat the second day and I can not say enough about the staff at the marina. The are extremely friendly and very helpful. The door man is amazing, the pool staff is great and the ladies running the candy shop are very pleasant and fun to chat with while eating a delectable treat. I guess if your lucky you'll get to see Jerry Springer at the pool since that is where he is staying while in Branson for the Price is Right.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to the suite, make sure to get a lake view. The balconies are extremely small so do n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ST051674
Dear ST051674:

As always we are very pleased when one of our guests takes the time to write a review. Your comments concerning our guestrooms which are being refurbished slowly thought it maybe is valid. We recently changed out all of our beds and the plan once our season has concluded. Plans are in place to continue refurbishing all of our guestrooms. I am pleased to know that despite our shortcomings you and your family had a pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Regards,
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for a week and truly enjoyed our stay. Not only was the property beautiful but the staff was exceeding helpful and friendly. We were so thankful that we stayed here and not a property on the strip and it kept us out of the traffic and congestion. While we were away from the main strip, we had great access to the the attractions. Nothing took us more than 10 minutes to reach.

We ordered room service twice and both times it was timely and very good. I would recommend this place to both families and couples.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Hula1966:

I couldn't have written a better review myself about the very resort that I have had the privilege of managing, for the past sixteen plus years. Thank you for taking the time to do so and for the very kind words you had to say about your stay and the Chateau. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Arkansas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Perception vs reality - I personally define luxury as the very best of the best, the top in that industry sector. So the reality is the Chateau on The Lake, falls short of the mark and hardly should be considered a Five Star Hotel. The John Q Hammond hotel group is yes, the largest private and independent owner and hotel management group in the USA with 78 properties with brand representation including, Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Hilton, Marriot, Radisson & Ramada, none of which would qualify, for anyone who has stayed in Five Star hotels/resorts around the world. Rosewood, Four Seasons, One & Only, Auberge, amoung many others, clearly set that standard.

That being clarified, The Chateau on the Lake, is nice enough and hard as they try, with a staff that aims to please, but in the end it's just another hotel with nice lake views. The Chateau Grill it would seem, is dinning out on past awards and definitely needs a culinary and dinning room make over. The Spa was OK, but lacks the true resort-like feel and atmosphere. The saving grace, the bed was very comfortable.

So if you are heading to the self-proclaimed 'Entertainment capital of the world', Branson, you might want to align your expectations to this being more like a 3 star hotel, nice enough, but a far cry from luxury as truly and honestly IMHO defined.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChipsW
Dear ChipsW:

We appreciate you taking the time in writing a review following your most recent stay. We can always learn from our guests and welcome their feedback and more so from a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor. Just for clarification we are a AAA Four Diamond hotel and not a Five Star resort. Our hotel category falls under Upper Scale not Luxury. We certainly try very hard to provide certain aspects of our services that one will find in many luxury hotels. It appears that we did not meet your expectations on this trip. We sincerely hope that we are given the opportunity to be of service to you in the not too distant future.

Memphis
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Been here two days before they cleaned my room. Mgr says they are big hotel and just dont get done before 5pm each day. I say your charging 300 bucks a nite, so hire more people. Bar tenders are understaffed also and not very friendly. Very nice hotel, just needs better mgmt. will stay somewhere else next time. Room rate for value is just not there.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Dontwastemybucks
Dear Dontwastemybucks:

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the response you received from one of our managers. I can assure you they are not trained to handle a guest concern or an issue in the manner as you stated in your review. Please accept my apologies and for bring it to my attention. It is feedback such as yours that allows us the opportunity to take immediate corrective action. I trust this incident will not become a deterring factor in your continued patronage of the Chateau.

West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I am so thankful we stayed here even after reading some other poor reviews. I'm not sure what others were expecting but we were very pleased with our stay. The grounds are beautiful. There is so much to do for small children. The pool is gorgeous, clean, and has a magnificent view of the lake. We loved the playground and movie theater. Our 3 and 6 year old daughters wanted to move in (I did too!) Employees are top of the line and phenomenal with small children. Everyone was kind as can be. Overall a fabulous week.

• Stayed June 2014