“Great View”

Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Lincoln, NE, United States
“Great View”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Chateau on the Lake for a business retreat. We found the food to be good. The rooms were quiet and nicely furnished (although a bit dated), with comfortable beds and nice linens. Could have used more feather pillows. I was rather surprised to find that Coke wasn't available anywhere on the resort, only Pepsi products. I know some restaurants choose to go with Pepsi versus Coke, but a large resort? The service was good. Table Rock Lake is absolutely beautiful. it's only drawback is it's proximity to Branson. Is it a place we would choose for a vacation or even short visit? No, but it is a nice resort.

2 Thank Penny G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding weekend. The hotel itself is nice. It's kind of cheesy and over the top but the young children in our wedding party seemed to love it. The restaurant was good but overpriced.

The worst part? When we left, we paid half of our room in cash, about $200. The rest was to be put on our debit card. When we checked our card later that week, the Chateau had charged us full price, TWICE, for our room, completely disregarding the cash we had given them. I called immediately and the receptionist was extremely rude when I kept asking to just talk to someone who could refund me. She told me her manager would call me. When he did, he wasnt much help and said he would have to call my bank and then call me the next day. Late afternoon the following day I finally get a call from this guy and he says that he isnt refunding my money and I have to call my bank. I call the bank, they immediately reversed all the charges and place a fraud alert on my account.

This has been a very expensive nightmare. Our card should have only been charges $284 and this hotel took out over $1k for a weekend.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. It's expensive for such a cheap looking refurbishment and the staff is uncaring and disinterested.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Amanda T
Stephen M, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Amanda T:

Please accept my apologizes for all of the confusion concerning the billing arrangements for your accommodations. Our Guest Services Manager Kat P had advised me that she has personally made good and corrected all credit card charges to your satisfaction. I trust this incident will not become a deterring factor in your continued patronage of the Chateau.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My wife booked this as a short family vacation, saying that it's one of the nicer resorts in Branson. We've been fortunate to stay in some truly world-class hotels in Las Vegas, Las Angeles, Chicago, etc. The Chateau is a nice place, but doesn't measure up at this price point. There's a thin veneer of quality and elegance overlying a very average resort experience.

First, the pros. The reason that we chose this location was because we wanted something nice, kid-friendly, and secluded. In my opinion, the best aspect of the Chateau was how far removed it was from what you think of as Branson...it's tucked away on twisting roads, surrounded on 3 sides by woods and the fourth by Table Rock Lake. The views over the lake are spectacular, especially from the balcony overlooking the large outdoor pool. Our room was over the massive air conditioner units which made a lot of noise. But when the balcony door was closed, the room was tomb-like quiet. There's also an indoor pool and hot tub that's open 24 hours to adults. Self-parking in the lot or garage is free and valet is available. There's an elevator from the garage directly into the hotel. I found it to be a very convenient, relaxing stay.

The cons: Visually, the place is waaaaaay overdone (like most things in Branson). The lobby is full of babbling brooks and Koi fish and birds and fake trees...just everywhere. There is almost no surface not finished in "stone", most of it fake. Aside from the bathroom, which was large and finished in marble, the rooms were not terribly comfortable for a family of four. The beds were too soft and sagged in the middle, there was too little closet space for a double queen room, and there was no refrigerator or microwave, which are standard in MUCH cheaper hotels.

The "Sweet Shoppe", which sold everything from breakfast burritos to coffee to chocolate cake, was our morning coffee stop (albeit an expensive one). We had lunch at the Chateau Grille, which served excellent food at a reasonable price ($15-20/person), although the prices increased to $30-50/person at dinner. Troublingly, the service throughout the resort was hit or miss. The friendly Latina at the Sweet Shoppe in the morning was great, but the seating and service for the Chateau Grille was just ok. There is waitstaff attending the outdoor pool, but the service is very slow. When I got tired of waiting, I made my only trip to the bar at the main floor...but the bartender was absent for nearly 15 minutes.

Overall, we had a nice stay. But, for $250/night, I expect more quality and better service.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrDub2001
Dear DrDub2001:
In order for the Chateau to improve we both seek and expect constructive critique. We very much appreciate your in depth review of our resort following your recent stay. I am pleased to know that your overall stay was a nice one, despite some of our shortcomings.

Bixby, Oklahoma
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location for a nice quiet retreat is the main bonus of this hotel. The hotel itself is becoming worn and needs some updating. The room was a cozy. The bed was comfortable. The food is so-so. The pools are nice inside and out. The biggest complaint would have to be the value for the dollar. We have stayed at nicer hotels for less. I think they must be living on their former glory for the cost of this hotel just doesn't measure up to newer, nicer hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tmac4ou
Dear tmac4ou:

Our comfortable beds is the first phase of our guest-room refurbishment plan which will be completed by early fall and to be continued in Q1 2015. It is my hope when you return to Branson in the summer of 2015 that you will once again make the Chateau your residence away from home. At that time you will be able to see first hand our new look guest-rooms

Arkansas
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at Chateau on the Lake with 11 of my co-workers for a 2 day work event. For cost reasons, we shared rooms, but it really was very comfortable with the ample space. The room we had included a sink in the bedroom area, which was convenient to get ready while my roommate occupied the actual bathroom. Beds are comfy and rooms are spacious.

We used the Lake Louise meeting room and it was very sufficient for our needs. It included a meeting table, sofas, and private restroom. We were very happy with it.

Additionally, our group reserved a pontoon at the Chateau marina. They have a free shuttle, and the marina is literally a 2 minute drive from the hotel lobby. Extremely convenient! The marina is very, very nice and the staff is excellent.

We ate at the Atrium Cafe. The food was good, service was very pleasant but ditzy/disorganized. The atrium view is so pleasant, and with natural sunlight flowing in you almost feel like you're outdoors, except you have A.C.! We also ate at the breakfast buffet and were all very satisfied with the food options.

I will definitely stay here again in the future, and am looking at taking my husband for a weekend get-away.

Fulshear, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were so disappointed...for the price, we were expecting more. The decor is old and outdated, and the room is just so-so (a mini-fridge would have been nice!).

The worst part of the stay was the restaurant...the Chateau Grill. We were excited to get away from the kids and have a romantic dinner. But, it started out on a bit of a negative note when the waiter required my ID before I could purchase a drink...I'm 36 years old...yes, flattering, but also a little like, "really?" But, having waited tables myself, I understood, and my husband went and got it. We ordered the lobster bisque to start, but it was the first time I've ever had lobster bisque with no lobster! When we questioned it, the waiter said that it had been finely shredded two days ago and mixed with chardonnay. Hmmm, ok. Then, we were really excited to try the filet...for $42, we were expecting the best! It was one of the worst steaks I've ever had. Mine came out so rare I had to send it back (which took quite a while, but I was worried I could get sick with how rare it was!). The steak wasn't seasoned, and it was covered in cheese (not blue cheese, some other kind). The potatoes were hard. We had planned to order the creme brulee for dessert, but decided against it because we didn't want to be disappointed and waste even more money. Honestly...I am not usually a tough critic! But, I cook a better steak at home. On the way out of the restaurant, the manager asked how it was. We couldn't even force out a smile and a "good." We explained how we felt, and he just said, "Ok, sorry to hear that."

On a positive note, we enjoyed the valet service. They were prompt, professional, and friendly.

Needless to say, we will not be returning to this hotel in the future. There HAVE to be better ones than this!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jmascar
Stephen M, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear jmascar:

Your dining experience is certainly not in keeping with our own high standards, both in the way of service and product. I can fully understand your disappointment and decision not to return to the Chateau Grille in the future.
Your feedback is important to us and you can be assured, the issues as noted will be dealt with in the fashion it deserves. Please accept my sincere apologies and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Madill, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our first time to stay at the Chateau. We came for a business meeting and got here on a Thursday night. The food and service is indifferent. The room was nice enough, even though we were on the back side of the hotel, so the view is of the roof. However, the bed was VERY comfortable. Our grandson enjoyed the playground very much, so that was a plus. One night, they brought a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie, but the costumed bear terrified him. All in all, the hotel was ok, but the food service and waiters need some training.

Room Tip: You have to pay more for a decent view.
2 Thank Sue B
Stephen M, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Sue B:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated and very helpful. I am so sorry that Lucky the Bear scared your grand kid when delivering cookies and milk to your room. Trust me he is a very friendly bear. In order to meet the demands of our summer season, each year we have to hire seasonal summer servers. As much as training is a continuous focus of ours, we do realize that their skills are not as they should be especially early in the season. This is not meant to be an excuse. I am just being very transparent in addressing your comment and concern. The unfortunate part is that by the end of the summer those servers are so much better however it is time for them to go back to college; we look forward to welcoming you back to the Chateau.

Regards,