“Beautiful View”

Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Hiawatha, Kansas
“Beautiful View”
Reviewed 16 October 2010

My husand and I decided to splurge and spent our 23 anniversary at Chateau on the Lake, We checked in on a Saturday afternoon and stayed 2 nights. We arrived at approx. 430 and our room wasn't ready, they offered coupons for the Sweet Shoppe and said they would come get us when it was ready. We where in our room less than 10 minutes later. The hotel gave us a fridge for our room at no cost which I was surprised that a hotel that charges what they do the fridge isn't standard. The doormen where very friendly and helpful along with the checkin clerk. The hotel itself is beautiful. We rode our motorcycle down and the doormen where extremely helpful taking our luggage up so we could park the bike since valet wasn't an option. We walked into our room and we where both pleased, we where on the 7th floor with a baloncy that had a view of the lake, beautiful. Room was very spacious and nicely decorated. The bathroom very large and well appointed. We decided to visit the Library Lounge and once again the view is spectacular. Service and drinks both good. Something to remember if you would like a taxi plan 1-2 hours wait The first evening we ate decided to eat at the hotel and decided to go with the fine dining option, they only had approx. 6 tables full and service just wasn't very good, while the waiter was friendly service was very slow, water and ice tea where not refilled without a request. The food was good but not something I would probably go back for. Sunday we got a late start on the day, the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it, but we did leave the hotel at about 10 30 in the morning for sight seeing. When we came back to the hotel we decided we would have a drink at the lounge and watch the sunset, much to our surprise the Lounge was closed with a sign saying the Atrium Bar was open, we walked over there and discovered another couple that had been waiting for over 20 minutes and had seen no one. Finally a girl came up and said maybe I can help you but I'm not a bartendar, the first drink that was order she couldn't make so she went in search of a bartendar, instead the chef came and attempted to make drinks. We decided at that point we would dress for dinner and head back to town. When arriving back to the hotel we though we would utilize the 24 hour indoor pool, this was the second surprise the pool closes at 10 pm on Sunday once again a little disappointed that the amenities advertised were not available. Chateau on the Lake is a beautiful property that has a lot of potentional, while most expectations where meet some aspects of service where definatley lacking. I don't mind paying more but what like to recieve the services advertised. I would probably go back for a special occasion but would not make this a normal stop, things just where not consistant enough,

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2010
My apologies for the shoddy beverage service you received at our Atrium Cafe & Wine Bar, I can assure this is certainly not in keeping with our own standards. Your comments will be shared with the respective managers who are responsible for that department.. Feedback from our guests such as yours is always welcome for it allows us to recognize our shortcomings and to take corrective measures.
Your patronage is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Chateau in the not distant future.

Stephen Marshall
Vice President & General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Stayed here during a recent business trip to attend a convention that was being held at the hotel. The hotel is beautiful and very well-kept. Located up high on the hill, it offers some beautiful scenery around the lake.

My room was spacious, quiet and cozy. The courtesy van drivers that brought us to and from the Branson airport were prompt and provided great information about the area. The bartender and front door staff were always very kind and helpful. Front-desk staff moved a little slow and it took some time to get checked in. The restaurants were good but very pricey.

Unfortunately, this hotel is very far from everything. We did not rent a car (due to company expense limitations) and had to rely on a taxi to get anywhere off the hotel property. Taxi fares averaged $12-$20 (not including tip) each way whenever we wanted to go somewhere. The hotel shuttle did not offer transportation to shows or any other area attractions.

I wish I had time to experience the spa because I heard some wonderful things. Maybe next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
Your review is very much appreciated following your most recent stay. With limited public transportation there is no doubt about it a car is a necessity in order to to get around Branson. There is so much to do and see and hopefully you will have an opportunity to comeback and experience all that it has to offer.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau on the Lake for a conference last week. This is a beautiful hotel overlooking the lake. When we checked in there were no rooms left that overlooked the lake, but when we got to our room, the smell was very musty and smokie (even though it is a smoke free hotel) and the view was of the air-conditioning units. My husband has ashmna so we called down to the front desk and they did switch us immediately to a room that overlooked the lake! They were so kind to do this.

The rooms are very large and the bathroom had a huge countertop, plus there is an extra sink in the bedroom area which was nice. Beds were VERY comfortable .
There are 3 places to get food in the hotel and the food was good. (a fine dining, a cafe, and a dei and ice cream shop) Be sure to eat a nice meal on the patio overlooking the lake. The sunsets are amazing!!! The waitress staff was so friendly too and always tried to get us a good seat to see the sunset. We ordered the steak and salmon one night and it was some ot the best I've ever had. For breakfast, you might as well order the buffet because by the time you order a separate entree , coffee and juice, it is the same amout as the buffet.
There are no other close restaurants around unless you have a rental car and can go into Branson city which is about a 15 min ride.

I did take advantage of the pool and the spa one day. VERY nice so don't miss out on this if you have time. The outdoor pool is lovely and overlooks the lake so you have a great view.

On another note, if you go into Branson for a show, (that is really all there is to do there!)get a map and take the side roads as the traffic on the main street is so backed up. (the orange, red and green lines work best)
We saw the "12 Irish Tenors" and they were fabulous! There are not many wonderful restaurants in Branson,(Mostly chain food) so we were happy to eat at the Chateau on the Lake where it is much more peaceful and away from all the crowds and traffic.

We are from Atlanta so we loved flying in and out of the new airport in Branson. It is so small, but like a one room lodge! LOVE IT! The only place to get food in there is Famous Dave's BBQ which is good. It is a beautiful drive from the airport which sits on top of a mountain, beside 2 golf courses!!!

All in all, our stay in Branson was very nice - just be prepared for all the tour buses and senior citizens - but we loved talking to them... Hey...that will be us one day!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
May I take this opportunity to compliment you on your very well written review and your favorable comments about the resort is very much appreciated. We look forward to your return visit to Branson and welcoming you back to the Chateau and if it is during our summer months that would be the best time to enjoy all what our area lakes have to offer.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 September 2010

From the outside, the Chateau is quite lovely. Once inside, things change. The lobby and public areas are beginning to show their age. We stayed in 2 different rooms and each was just short of being shabby. Furnishings were worn, bathrooms were not quite clean, shower curtains were mildewed, caulk was missing around tubs and, surprise, there are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms, making for very humid conditions after a shower. During a rainstorm, the french doors leaked a significant amount of water into the rooms. Additionally, the skylights in the 10-story atrium leaked and first floor ceilings also were leaking.

Service was, at best, spotty. People at the front desk seemed to be disinterested. The manager was surprised to hear that our bathrooms had no exhaust fans and said that all bathrooms had exhausts. After checking with a dozen other guests, we learned that none of the rooms had exhaust fans. Prices in the restaurants were high and service was slow. It took 10 minutes to get a cup of coffeein the "Sweet Shop"--there were only two people ahead of me the person at the counter seemed overwhelmed.

The Chateau may be a 4 or 5 star hotel by Branson standards, but not by mine. Overall, the experience was little better than staying in a cut-rate, chain motel.
Edit - Delete

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ricardo_Lago
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
No excuses for the condition of the bathroom which will be inspected by both our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer. I would like to think that this was an exception rather than the norm for our own housekeeping standards are based on the premise there is no degree of cleanliness. It is either clean or not clean.
For the record and I can say this with authority for it is the absolute. All of our bathrooms do have an exhaust vent which is controlled by exhaust fans located on the roof of the resort, unlike the exhaust fans we all have in our bathrooms at home. To have 300 plus individually controlled bathroom exhaust fans would be an engineers nightmare.
Mother Nature did inflict upon us a driving rainstorm (the remains of Hurricane Hermine) as you got to experience during your stay which did indeed cause leaks in places I have never seen before. I have been the resort's GM for the past 12 years and I have witnessed many a storm over the years and this one I would rate in the top three. I believe we received over 3 inches of rain in a very short period of time.
Cleanliness, slow service, staff attitudes, etc, etc are within my control as the GM, anything to do with the elements such as Mother Nature is beyond my capabilities.
Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback, my apologies for not meeting your expectations as a guest and where corrective measures can be made within our operation I can assure you and others steps will be taken to do so.

Nevada, Missouri
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed at the Chateau for our honeymoon, and it was a great experience. Upon arrival, we discovered the hotel had upgraded our room for free. The room service was excellent...very friendly and very fast. The food was amazing, however highly over-priced. If I remember right it was approximately $35 for a sandwich, fries, diet coke, & a bottle of water. But it was a special occasion so we splurged a bit. The room was very comfortable and the view from our room was amazing! We had a massage while we were there. The atmosphere was great, but we have had much better massages elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Thank you for choosing the Chateau and for spending your honeymoon getaway with us. Your kind words about your stay is very much appreciated, for which I thank you for taking the time to share. Your comment about tipping was very well put which I could not have stated any better.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chateau for many anniversaries to come.

Regards,

VP & General Manager
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Okay, so we stayed in the Best Western the first 2 nights we were in Branson, then we splurged and got the Bed & Breakfast package at the Chateau on the Lake for the last night. Of course, Chateau on the Lake was beautiful, beautiful gardens inside the hotel itself and a wonderful view of the lake. Amenities were wonderful and top of the line. Somebody has posted something on here about tipping. Well, when we pulled up at the resort, one of the men was wanting to take our luggage, but they do give you the option. You don't have to have the bellboy bring up your luggage... that is just a convenience for you and if you want it then yes, you do need to tip. You can just say NO, if you don't want them to do it for you. The breakfast package does not necessarily mean you have to use it for breakfast. You get a $40 food credit- you can choose to use it at the Grille, room service, the Atrium, or Sweet Shoppe. We had the breakfast and then had a little left over for using at the sweet shoppe. To sum it up, the next time we come to branson, we will be staying at the Chateu on the Lake for all the nights we're there. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.!:)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
It indeed was our pleasure to have been of service to you during your recent Branson trip and thank yo for sharing your Chateau experiences with us and others who will read your review. Come back and visit us real soon, as our doormen will be here waiting and ready to welcome you back.

Regards,

Chateau on the Lake Resort and Spa

PS.
By the way thank you for standing up for us when it comes to "tipping".
Missouri
Reviewed 5 August 2010

My daughter and I booked a Spa getaway on a weekday. I was amazed at how this hotel had such classy potential then, as other have said, either cut corners on quality or nickel and dimed at every chance. We were staying the night prior to a day of spa treatments and I asked for late check out after our treatments, I was told twice that they couldn't even give me an answer. No fridge in the rooms. Powdered eggs and other Sam's Club type food on the buffet. Average food offered on room service at 4 star resort prices, then gratuity, tax and delivery charges added to the point of ridiculous! $10 a day for internet. The spa staff excellent however, charges posted in brochure don't include 20% additional charge for each treatment. I was told that was for the use of the facilities. Ok, but multiplied by each treatment? Being scheduled for several treatments I didn't have time to use the sauna etc. Yet I was charged 4 times for it.Gratuity. I was under the impression that was given per service as the guest felt was earned. At other fine resorts the charge was at the guests discretion. I am a regular
Spa guest all over this country I was very surprised by the lack of class that peppered this potentially fine hotel.
resort Spa client all over this country and the prices DO NOT line up to the level of service and quality I have experienced elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010
chateauonthelake, Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
We certainly welcome feedback from our guests and whenever we have failed in providing a level of service that is in keeping with their expectations, our own standrads and reputation, we are quick to apologize and make every every effort to make amends for our mistakes.
We certainly respect your opinion as you shared in your review concerning our pricing structure on the specific items as mentioned.
The claim that the eggs we serve on our breakfast buffet are a powdered product is wrong assumption for they are not. Late check-out requests during our very busy summer period more often that not we are unable to accommodate for if we do, it will increase the probabilty of inconveniencing one of our in coming guests.

We do realize you had a choice in lodging when planning your spa getaway trip and do appreciate your patronage. We also apologize for not meeting your needs and expecations in certain aspects of our operation.