“Some Major Problems”

Ranked #32 of 140 Hotels in Branson
St. Louis, Missouri
“Some Major Problems”
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I will start by saying that there were many positive things about Still Water. The unit itself was quite nice and spacious. The room was very clean with one exception (the coffee maker water tank was dirty with dust, and hair and we ended up buying a cheap maker at walmart to use for the weekend). The unit was nicely furnished, kitchen was quite nice and included a washerdryer and dishwasher. The one bedroom suite was lakefront and had a nice view of the water. The complex itself is a bit crowded. Parking was sometimes difficult in the lot which was shared by three buildings. It was a winter visit so the outdoor facilities were closed. There is no maid service here, but this was not expected as this is a condo resort. They did have a towel exchange but it was located in a different building and required a trip outside to get fresh towels.

Overall, the place had many positive features, but there were some major problems.

First of all, the claim that there is wireless internet at this facility is misleading. Some of the rooms apparrently have wireless internet available. However, the complex is large and the signal was weak to nonexistant in our room. For the majority of our stay we had no internet signal. During some brief periods we had a one bar signal which was intermittent. I read the response to another review here regarding internet access, in which the management responded that the customer had not contacted them about the problem So when we found we had no internet access we called the front desk and were told that it was a problem with our computer. My spouse has worked in IT for ten years and is microsoft windows and office certified. In addition, we have no problem accessing wireless networks anywhere else, so we were confident that there was no problem with our laptop. In short we were told that if the signal is too week in the room we could access the internet from a hotspot at the complex market or front office. It was very dissapointing and the complex clearly needs to upgrade their wireless hardware network or stop advertising that they offer free wireless internet.

The second major problem was with the hot water. Our first night we had no problem with the hot water. We filled our jacuzzi tub and had a nice hot bath. However, for the remainder of the trip hot water was a major problem. On our first morning, we woke up about 8am and got to the the shower about 9:30. We were upset to find that the hot water was not running hot. It was not ice cold either, I would describe it as tepid. It would have passed the wrist test for checking if baby formula is cool enough to use with flying colors. I showered second and the water was a bit uncomfortable, so much so that I had to turn on the gas fireplace and sit in front of it to warm back up. We called the front desk to tell them and they said they would call maintenance. We never heard another thing from them and hoped that they would be able to correct the problem. We spent the day shopping and taking in shows and finally returned to the room in the late evening eagerly awaiting some time in the jacuzzi. We were very dissappointed to find that the hot water was still barely warm. There was enough warm water to fill the jacuzzi less than half way to the jets when it became gradually colder. By the time the jacuzzi was full enough to turn on, the water was cool to the touch. On our second and final morning, we arrose pretty early since it was our checkout day and found that the hot water was somewhat better, warm enough to shower with the shower valve turned all the way to hot. The hot water was never freezing cold, but it was tepid. It was dissappointing that maintenance did nothing about the problem and that no one ever got back to us to followup. We were surprised to find that the hot water is shared amongst units and that the unit did not have its own individual hot water heater. It is clear to me that the problem is that the water heating facilities here are not adequate. The complex was very crowded during our weekend, it seemed that every unit in the building was full. Each unit has a shower, dishwasher, washer dryer, and large jacuzzi tub. I suspect that maintenance was unable to correct the problem becasue the problem is that the heating equipment here is inadequate for the demand when they are full. It was very disappointing to find problems with the hot water when we were specifically seeking a jacuzzi sweet to relax for the weekend. It was also dissappointing that no one followed up with us after our report of the problem.

The third problem with the place is traffic. The reason this is a problem is because the complex is located on the same road used to get to six flags from the Branson strip. The reason this is a problem is that if you want to return to your room when the park is busy, you have to wait in line with the traffic waiting to get into Silver Dollar City. I suspect that most of the time this wouldnt be an issue, but occasionally there is substantial traffic waiting to get into the park. On the other hand, if you are planning on going to Silver dollar city a lot during your stay, this complex is located past Silver Dollar city, so you approach the park from the opposite direction and avoid the traffic waiting to get into the park from the Branson strip side. Going to see the christmas lights at Silver Dollar City was actually the focus of our stay so we rather enjoyed being close to the park on the low traffic side. The potential to run into problems with traffic is something to keep in mind.

Again, I want to repeat that there were many nice things about this place. It was clean (with one exception), lake front, and very romantic. I could have easily given this place five stars. The problems with internet were not even THAT big a deal. Afterall we were there to relax and it would not have been the end of the world if i could not check my email for a few days. Neither was the Silver Dollar City traffic as long as you are prepared for it and plan your day to avoid peak times. However, all the positives are trumped by having to take a cold shower and by not being able to use the jacuzzi due to lack of hot water. Unfortunately this was a major problem and brings my rating down to two stars. I wont be returning to still water.

• Liked — Lake front location
  • Disliked — Inadequate hot water.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank docmjc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Dallas
Reviewed 12 December 2008

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with a fireplace in one of the newer buildings.(bldg J). We had a great view of the marina. We arrived on Sun. November 30th and stayed for three nights. Since it was after Thanksgiving, we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Although most of the amenities were closed for the season,(pools, marina, etc.) the 20 person freeforming hot tub directly across from our condo remained open. All four of us had a great time one afternoon while waiting to go see Christmas lights that evening. The condo itself was very spacious and clean. The linens were ample, and we did not have to exchange them during our brief stay. I originally found out about this place on Orbitz. They had a special so I contacted the property directly and spoke to Todd. He matched the price without hesitation. I always feel better working directly with the property. We only paid $120.00 total per night. I would come back to Stillwaters in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank WVP
Arkansas
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We had a mini family reunion at Still Waters Resort in Branson, the first weekend in December 2008. We spent two nights and would have liked to stay longer. We booked a 3-bedroom condo through their website, www.stillwatersresort.com. The condo was a part of the new building (J). There were three separate bedrooms with three bathrooms. A TV in every bedroom, a living area with a gas fireplace, large TV, DVD player, couch and chair and a huge dining table. It had a full kitchen with fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee pot, and even a washer and dryer. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, flatware, etc. It also had a balcony with table and chairs overlooking the lake. It was very clean and decorated nicely. There were also several large stainless steel propane grills available to anyone wanting to use them.

Not having maid service each day was not a problem. There were plenty of towels and washcloths to last the two nights we stayed so we didn’t have to go for a towel exchange. When my finicky sister-in-law approved of the condo, we knew we picked the right place to stay in Branson. We already plan to go back next year.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Traffic to Silver Dollar City
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelgrandmother
Little Rock
Reviewed 26 October 2008

My husband and I went to Branson on our 10 year anniversary. This was our first time staying here. We were in building G just in a double queen room. The place was very nice and smelled clean. Beautiful view of the lake and would have been better if it was in the middle of summer so you could do the water activities they offer. That is all the good - Now for the not - so - good... In our room there was only vertical blinds no drapes to pull therefore at night there are porch lights everywhere up and down the walkways making it very light in the rooms. The beds were not at all comfy. At the time we were there the weather started cooling off and we needed extra blankets - in the closet there was 2 extra but they reaked of ciggarette smoke! But a call to the front desk and they sent us a new one. Last negative thing is they do not have maid service if you need more towels you have to take your dirty ones to the laundry and get more there.

• Liked — It was located on the lake and pretty quiet
  • Disliked — only about 5 or 6 channelson tv - and no room service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I stayed at the Stillwaters resort for 3 nights. Although it is a decent place, it was not without it's problems.

Checkin -- When we arrived an check-in, there was about a 5 minute wait. Check-in went very smooth though the sheet I was shown at check-in showed I owed $460, whereas my confirmation letter which I left at home said $434. Keep in mind that I booked directly with the hotels website, not a third party site like Expedia. This started a running theme for this resort which is don't believe your confirmation. When I arrived at my room, in building L an older building, I called to the front desk to ask them about the Room location because I was supposed to be in I, J, or K one of the new buildings and also to inquire about the price difference. The person on the other end said it should be $445, so less than front desk told me, but more than confirmation said. When I inquired about the room difference they said they had no record of me reserving a new room and there was nothing they could do. Please keep in mind that when I arrived home I checked my confirmation and it says right on it I, J, or K.

Room -- The rooms are dated and overall not very nice. They are clean, but they have the feel of a cheaply made condo. You could hear every step the people above us took, and many of their conversations. There was a small 25" t.v. in the living room, which was very roomy. The kitchen had all of the necessary things you would expect and worked well for anyone needing to cook. The pillows were rediculously small and the beds were pretty hard. The master bathroom was very large and had a whirlpool tub and was nice. When used though, debris came out of the jets of the tub that looked like crumbled leaves?? There was a separate shower as well which performed nicely. The master bedroom was a decent size with a small t.v. The other bedroom was a nice size with 2 queens as well and had a mini fridge and small bathroom. The patio was a very nice size and very relazing. There was a Bee problem near ours though so if you have a problem with bee's you might be on the lookout. Overall the rooms were o.k., but needed a few touches like larger t.v.'s new beds and pillows and an overall updated look. The rooms also had an apartment size washer and dryer.

Grounds -- The property has many things to do like paddle boats, 2 pools and a very large hot-tub, however I do take issue with them calling themselves a resort. In my mind a resort has several things that this property didn't have. First of all House Keeping. They do not clean your room when you are there. They wait until you leave. If you want new towels, you have to wash them in the washer/dryer or go get new ones. from some little building that they said was manned from 9-2. Also, I believe a resort needs to have 24 employees. I can't say for sure they didn't, but if they did they were harder to find then Waldo. A resort should have a resturaunt to eat at. They had a little building that sold snacks and salads, but no resturaunt that I saw. I know now I'm being nitpicky, however a "resort" should also have a bellman and room service. By their definition of resort, you could end up with a "Motel 6 resort" or a "Super 8 resort". It is a property with several condo buildings, a maring, 2 pools and a gift shop. That is it. Definitely not a resort.

I know my review has an overall negative vibe to it, but with all it's flaws, it is not a bad place to stay. If you have children, I would definitely recommend it. The rooms are clean, but definitely nothing fancy. It won't be my place to stay at next time, but for the right person I'm sure they would be happy here.

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Not getting reserved room, being charged more
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joshua b
Greenwood, Arkansas
Reviewed 5 October 2008

We just got back from a wonderful stay at the Still Waters Resort in Branson. We spent 2 nights and would have liked to stay longer. We booked a 1 bedroom condo with a king bed thru Expedia. The condo was obviously new (building J) and looked exactly like the photos on the web site. There was a separate bedroom with king size bed and TV and a living area with a gas fireplace, large TV, DVD player, couch and chair and a pull down bed. It had a full kitchen with fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee pot, table and chairs and even a washer and dryer. The kitchen was well-stocked with dishes, flatware, etc. The bathroom was nice and had a large whirlpool tub. It also had a balcony with table and chairs overlooking the lake. It was very clean and decorated nicely. There were also several large stainless steel propane grills available to anyone wanting to use them. There was also a TV in the bedroom. For $77 a night it was a steal!

The resort itself was great also and one day we spent nearly the whole day there. There were kayaks and paddleboats that you could check out for free to use on the lake which we did and had a great time. Also free fishing poles the kids could use on the dock. And bikes you could ride around the area with as well. There was also a nice playground and volleyball and basketball courts. But the best thing were the pools - one was closed but the other 2 were still open - a water slide pool and a tropical themed pool featuring a waterfall and grotto area and a huge freeform 20 person hottub - it was awesome! It was really a beautiful area with nice landscaping and beautiful rock work. There were lots of comfortable lounge chairs and even several platform beds to relax on. The water in the pools was freezing cold but of course our kids still had to play in it and they had a great time. We ate lunch at the marketplace which had things like sandwiches and burgers and which was pretty good. It would have been nice to have a restaurant onsite though.

Only problem we had was our smoke alarm kept beeping one morning but we called and they were prompt about sending someone up to replace it. And the only complaint I had was that the sheets were not very comfortable - pilly and pretty rough. The mattress and pillows were comfortable though. Our daughters slept on the murphy bed and said it was very comfortable too.

We definitely hope to stay here again on future trips to Branson and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mttee
st louis, mo
Reviewed 17 September 2008

The facilities and accomodation at this resort are great. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo. It was spacious, very clean and appeared to be very new.
The pool is great for the kids but without heating they are a little cold?! That only seemed to upset the adults though.
I would recommend building J as it has a view of the lake with no trees in the way.
The staff were helpful and friendly.
I will stay at this place again in the summer.

• Liked — the lift was repaired after a breakdown in 4 hours. The facilities are well cared for
  • Disliked — the unheated pool
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family