“Old and dirty”

Airport Plaza Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bridgeton
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Chose hotel due to location near airport. Located on main road but access is limited and very difficult to navigate. You have to exit, take a back road to another back road and come around on the back side of the property.

The beds were poorly made (all of the sheets and blankets touching the floor on one side). The room was filthy! There were toenail clippings on the floor next to the night stand, and the room had obviously not been vacuumed.

The hotel is old and has been poorly maintained. The corner of our first floor room had significant water damage on the wall and the floor. The carpet was stained.

The restaurant on the premises served breakfast, lunch, and dinner according to their literature. In reality, it was a sports bar. When we tried to get dinner, the choices were prepackaged sandwiches or frozen pizza! There was an Indian restaurant in the next building which was OK and the service there was good. If you don't do spicy food you were out of luck.

The staff was reasonably friendly and we were able to get an early shuttle to the airport. We left too early to eat their continental breakfast.

We had to turn in our rental car the evening we stayed. The hotel was unwilling to pick us up at the car rental facility, so we were forced to take the car shuttle to the airport, then call the hotel and take their shuttle back to the hotel. This made a 10 minute procedure take nearly 45 minutes.

There are many other hotels more convenient to the airport and local restaurants than this one. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 19 January 2006

Getting to the hotel is hard, you can see it from the interstate, but you have to make sure you take the right exit. If you get off one too early you might not know where to turn. You have to turn onto a service road and wind around till you get there. We had to switch rooms, because the first one was dirty. We requested a handicapped room, because my mom has mobility problems. She can walk but she is on oxygen. The first room, was way in the back, by a door. The front desk clerk, told us to walk through the front because it was closer -- it was not. The second room was only 3 rooms up from the back door. So the second night we parked out back and walked through that door. It didn't latch well at all, we made sure it did after us, but whose to say the next person would do the same. It wasn't a dangerous area, but you don't want people walking through your hotel. The front desk clerk was of hardly any help. I checked in and she gave us one key card. So I asked for another one, she said sure, then said "let me program that for tomorrow night, so you dont have to come back to the front desk" O.K so if I didn't ask for another card I guess I would have to go back up to the desk and wonder why my card didn't work. I have seen better continental breakfasts -- They had cereal, 4 kinds of doughnuts, bread for toast. Milk, Juice i'm sure coffee, but I didnt check.

3  Thank Jasmine1136
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 January 2006

When I was visiting St. Louis, I stayed at the Howard Johnson near Lambert Airport off of Natural Bridge. This was not by choice, however, but because St. Louis was packed in December and HoJo was close to the airport. Let's begin a description of our stay. Walking in to the run down building, my wife tripped on a large rock that was being used to hold a door open. To my suprise, no apologies were made. The woman at the front desk lacked intelligence of her place of work, as she had a hard time explaining where we should park and how we should get to our room. When we finally got to our room, we were disgusted! There was a refrigerator/microwave that had a serial number on the back dating all the way back to 1984. My wife was electricuted as she went to remove her food, she opened the door and microwave remained ON. We asked for a different room. We were then transferred to a room of the same quality, however with slightly updated appliances. Stains were included on each mattress and the bathrooms were unacceptable. Tile had mold growing on the grout, along with a sink that sprayed from the base of the sink if it was on full blast. The toilet required whomever was using it to stand next to it and hold the handle until everything was completely flushed. We didn't even get to take a shower, due to the lack of hot water in the run down building that we were in. It is almost safe to say that the entire staff posesses the "rude" trait, especially when I went to ask for a room transfer and the lady behind finished her cigarette before greeting me. Awful hotel - period. I would not recommend paying $70.00 a room at this place to anyone. Be careful. The Holiday Inn accross the street was a much more pleasant experience. Think twice when visiting St. Louis.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 October 2005

I stayed here because of flight problems. I chose this hotel because it is only about 5 minutes from the airport. I called for the shuttle and it took about 25 minutes to arrive. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and gracious given that she was dealing with a van full of distressed travelers who had all missed connections due to weather. The first room that we got was full of maintenance equipment. The second room was dumpy also and we could hear the TV next door very clearly. The food at the restaurant was ok, but we got it to go because the restaurant was so smoky. The vending machines were either empty or not working. The bed was like a hammock and the bathroom faucet shot water out the side when on full blast. The next morning we wanted to use the 6 am shuttle, which was parked out front, but we kept waiting for the driver. It turned out that he was sleeping in the shuttle. The breakfast was worse than the usual complimentary breakfast. Basically, this hotel was better than sleeping in the terminal, but not too much better. Others on our flight went to the Holiday Inn and they were pleased.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank azogal
Reviewed 15 June 2005

Stayed at the Howard Johnson for three nights in June, 2005. We had a non-smoking room with a king size bed and it was a "home office" version, so it had a desk and a recliner, which was nice. All of the rooms at this hotel have a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave--very handy for keeping and reheating leftovers from restaurants. The free continental breakfast included standard fare of juices, coffee, tea, milk, cereal, apples and oranges, bagles, toast, muffins, and donuts. We brought along some instant oatmeal and made that in our room, in addition to the fruits and juices. The Limbergh Bistro is located in the hotel and has really great food. There is a nice pool with 5 or 6 tables with 4 chairs each and 6 or 8 lounges to relax on placed around it. The pool starts at 3 ft and goes to 9 ft deep and it was kept very clean. The staff was nice enough. The only problem that we had was that our trash was not emptied when our room was cleaned each day. We specifically called and asked for it to be emptied, but it never was. That could have been our fault because we were in our room a lot that day with the "do not disturb" sign on the door. This is not a new hotel and the furniture and fixtures showed signs of wear, but we don't care about things being fancy, so it didn't bother us (everything in our home is certainly not new). There were no bugs and the air conditioning worked perfectly. We had plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. We are the type that don't like to be bothered by the staff. We just want to do our own thing. If you are the same as we are, I believe you will be quite happy with this hotel. It was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank lmu1001
Reviewed 13 June 2004

Stayed here in june 2003. and I have absolutly nothing bad to say about it. fast check in. nice clean room even had a frige and a microwave oven. It was cleaned and had fresh towels every day. there is also a ok bar/resturant on the premises. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2003
3  Thank tigers-ol
Reviewed 11 September 2003

My mom recently stayed at the Howard Johnson and utilized it's "park & fly" service. When she returned from her vacation in Mexico, she discovered her 93 Chevy Blazer had been stolen from the parking lot of the hotel. It was parked under a street light and she found bits of glass where the window had been broken. When she entered the hotel and demanded to call the police, the person at the desk told her "just a minute". They offered her nothing!! She had a bad feeling that the people behind the desk knew about the vehicle theft and were trying to cover their *****. In fact, they would have had to clean up the glass. They didn't have any idea when the Blazer was taken or how long it had been gone. In her opinion, someone who works at the hotel was "in on" the theft. I don't ever recommend staying at this hotel, I believe the hotel needs to be investigated by the police. Has this happened there before? How many cars have been taken? Are they running a side business in stolen cars from innocent people trying to have good vacations?

7  Thank donnad174
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeton
Hilton St. Louis Airport
#1 of 3 in Florissant
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Airport
Red Roof Inn St. Louis Westport
Marriott St. Louis Airport

Been to Airport Plaza Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!