“A Good Pick”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bridgeton
Chicago, Illinois
“A Good Pick”
Reviewed 29 November 2008

We stayed for three nights for our annual Thanksgiving visit with family. I read the reviews and had mixed feelings but book it anyway. What a pleasant surprise. We've stayed at other buget priced hotels in the Florissant/Hazelwood/Bridgeton area, and this was the best choice ever! Rooms were comfortable, clean, quiet, and we felt safe. Staff very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast is lame, but will do for a start.

If they've had a makeover, the best work was done in the lobby and other common areas, but the rooms, not so much. Still, it's worth the stay for the money.

Fortunately a local relative familiar with the area drove over to the hotel with us and we were able to figure out how to get to the hotel. Apparently the route has changed due to past road construction. Warning, Mapquest got it all wrong! Call the hotel to get exact directions.

• Liked — Clean and safe and friendly staff
  • Disliked — They need to go to another cable service or satelite service. Basic cable was poor.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank midwestIllinois

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
northeast iowa
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I had read some reviews on line and did not know quite what to expect, but after an unexpected long day of travel, the airport plaza inn was a pleasant surprise. The rooms are clean and have an above average decor. The hotel was renovated last year, so there is a new look and feel to the hotel complex. They offer a free continental breakfast, free internet, free business center (although it is somewhat limited), and free shuttle to the airport. I received a discount negotiated by an airline, so it definitely was worth what I paid, but I would stay here again at a regular rate. There is a restaurant on site and an Indian restaurant in an adjoining building, but I did not try them. The staff is very friendly and although it is very close to the airport (5 minutes), it was quiet. This is definitely not a flea bag hotel. I would rate it as a superior budget hotel.

• Liked — Free Amenities
  • Disliked — Equipment in business center although functionalm, was not up to date
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Chose hotel due to location near airport. Located on main road but access is limited and very difficult to navigate. You have to exit, take a back road to another back road and come around on the back side of the property.

The beds were poorly made (all of the sheets and blankets touching the floor on one side). The room was filthy! There were toenail clippings on the floor next to the night stand, and the room had obviously not been vacuumed.

The hotel is old and has been poorly maintained. The corner of our first floor room had significant water damage on the wall and the floor. The carpet was stained.

The restaurant on the premises served breakfast, lunch, and dinner according to their literature. In reality, it was a sports bar. When we tried to get dinner, the choices were prepackaged sandwiches or frozen pizza! There was an Indian restaurant in the next building which was OK and the service there was good. If you don't do spicy food you were out of luck.

The staff was reasonably friendly and we were able to get an early shuttle to the airport. We left too early to eat their continental breakfast.

We had to turn in our rental car the evening we stayed. The hotel was unwilling to pick us up at the car rental facility, so we were forced to take the car shuttle to the airport, then call the hotel and take their shuttle back to the hotel. This made a 10 minute procedure take nearly 45 minutes.

There are many other hotels more convenient to the airport and local restaurants than this one. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Staff was polite.
  • Disliked — Filthy dirty!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Bridgeton hotels

Lexington KY
Reviewed 19 January 2006

Getting to the hotel is hard, you can see it from the interstate, but you have to make sure you take the right exit. If you get off one too early you might not know where to turn. You have to turn onto a service road and wind around till you get there. We had to switch rooms, because the first one was dirty. We requested a handicapped room, because my mom has mobility problems. She can walk but she is on oxygen. The first room, was way in the back, by a door. The front desk clerk, told us to walk through the front because it was closer -- it was not. The second room was only 3 rooms up from the back door. So the second night we parked out back and walked through that door. It didn't latch well at all, we made sure it did after us, but whose to say the next person would do the same. It wasn't a dangerous area, but you don't want people walking through your hotel. The front desk clerk was of hardly any help. I checked in and she gave us one key card. So I asked for another one, she said sure, then said "let me program that for tomorrow night, so you dont have to come back to the front desk" O.K so if I didn't ask for another card I guess I would have to go back up to the desk and wonder why my card didn't work. I have seen better continental breakfasts -- They had cereal, 4 kinds of doughnuts, bread for toast. Milk, Juice i'm sure coffee, but I didnt check.

3 Thank Jasmine1136
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 January 2006

When I was visiting St. Louis, I stayed at the Howard Johnson near Lambert Airport off of Natural Bridge. This was not by choice, however, but because St. Louis was packed in December and HoJo was close to the airport. Let's begin a description of our stay. Walking in to the run down building, my wife tripped on a large rock that was being used to hold a door open. To my suprise, no apologies were made. The woman at the front desk lacked intelligence of her place of work, as she had a hard time explaining where we should park and how we should get to our room. When we finally got to our room, we were disgusted! There was a refrigerator/microwave that had a serial number on the back dating all the way back to 1984. My wife was electricuted as she went to remove her food, she opened the door and microwave remained ON. We asked for a different room. We were then transferred to a room of the same quality, however with slightly updated appliances. Stains were included on each mattress and the bathrooms were unacceptable. Tile had mold growing on the grout, along with a sink that sprayed from the base of the sink if it was on full blast. The toilet required whomever was using it to stand next to it and hold the handle until everything was completely flushed. We didn't even get to take a shower, due to the lack of hot water in the run down building that we were in. It is almost safe to say that the entire staff posesses the "rude" trait, especially when I went to ask for a room transfer and the lady behind finished her cigarette before greeting me. Awful hotel - period. I would not recommend paying $70.00 a room at this place to anyone. Be careful. The Holiday Inn accross the street was a much more pleasant experience. Think twice when visiting St. Louis.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Lafayette IN
Reviewed 23 October 2005

I stayed here because of flight problems. I chose this hotel because it is only about 5 minutes from the airport. I called for the shuttle and it took about 25 minutes to arrive. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and gracious given that she was dealing with a van full of distressed travelers who had all missed connections due to weather. The first room that we got was full of maintenance equipment. The second room was dumpy also and we could hear the TV next door very clearly. The food at the restaurant was ok, but we got it to go because the restaurant was so smoky. The vending machines were either empty or not working. The bed was like a hammock and the bathroom faucet shot water out the side when on full blast. The next morning we wanted to use the 6 am shuttle, which was parked out front, but we kept waiting for the driver. It turned out that he was sleeping in the shuttle. The breakfast was worse than the usual complimentary breakfast. Basically, this hotel was better than sleeping in the terminal, but not too much better. Others on our flight went to the Holiday Inn and they were pleased.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank azogal
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 15 June 2005

Stayed at the Howard Johnson for three nights in June, 2005. We had a non-smoking room with a king size bed and it was a "home office" version, so it had a desk and a recliner, which was nice. All of the rooms at this hotel have a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave--very handy for keeping and reheating leftovers from restaurants. The free continental breakfast included standard fare of juices, coffee, tea, milk, cereal, apples and oranges, bagles, toast, muffins, and donuts. We brought along some instant oatmeal and made that in our room, in addition to the fruits and juices. The Limbergh Bistro is located in the hotel and has really great food. There is a nice pool with 5 or 6 tables with 4 chairs each and 6 or 8 lounges to relax on placed around it. The pool starts at 3 ft and goes to 9 ft deep and it was kept very clean. The staff was nice enough. The only problem that we had was that our trash was not emptied when our room was cleaned each day. We specifically called and asked for it to be emptied, but it never was. That could have been our fault because we were in our room a lot that day with the "do not disturb" sign on the door. This is not a new hotel and the furniture and fixtures showed signs of wear, but we don't care about things being fancy, so it didn't bother us (everything in our home is certainly not new). There were no bugs and the air conditioning worked perfectly. We had plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. We are the type that don't like to be bothered by the staff. We just want to do our own thing. If you are the same as we are, I believe you will be quite happy with this hotel. It was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank lmu1001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeton
Quality Inn Airport St. Louis
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to Airport Plaza Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!