“Girls working seemed drunk,not very polite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Camdenton
Casa de Loco Winery
Ranked #5 of 6 Camdenton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Will try again but hope it's worth the drive nexttime

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Kirtz

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I had asked trip Adviser for advice on what to see in the Lake of the Ozarks region as we had never been to MO before and we were willing to take a 3-4 hr drive out of Kansas City to see a more country setting. I liked the suggestion of going to the Casa de Loco Winery as I was told it would combine a fun experience in a pretty location, with the possibility of a pleasant overnight stay in a romantic spot. What could go wrong?! Sounded like a great match for us. Maybe if we had not lost over a half day due to rental car problems the outcome might have been different... (?) After a long and not so scenic drive to the Lake of the Ozarks region, we spotted the sign for the winery. What we did NOT expect was a TWO mile drive on an unpaved, pebble road (not good when you are in a rental car and do not wish to ne charged for damage to the car). We arrived with barely enough time to check in. The place litterally closes at 6 PM! While people were enjoying their wine tasting and ordering pizza (prepared on an open fire) we went to our cabin (#3) to bring in our luggage and check out the room. There was a most unusual shower that required a manual to figure out how to operate it. Since the staff was all leaving shortly, we attempted to figure it out and in the process, noticed that some of the side jets began to "flood" the bathroom as the seal on one of the shower walls did not work and the water was spraying out of the shower. I immediately went to get help from the staff and a young girl followed me into the room explaining that she did not know how to operate the shower either and that the owners were away to KC, so we would have to re read the manual and try to figure it out... she then went to another cabin to try to help us with the instructions and SHE got soaked trying to do so :(
By then, I was super stressed and worried about how the rest of the day would go. I also asked her about lighting in the room, it was "all or nothing" as it was overhead lighting only (not my idea of romatic). Not wanting to drive back down the pebble road to go find a grocery store or restaurant, I asked if they sold breakfast items like Orange juice and rolls or muffins> nope! there was 10 minutes left before all the staff would leave, I said I guess we are too late to order a pizza? Luckily at that point, she was compassionate enough to let me do so and she offered it to us "on the house" to try to calm me. That did help. I just wish the place would leave you an emergency # to contact if you ran into a problem, that they would pave the road to the winery location, that they would have staff that knew how that unusual shower works, and that they would add a few table lamps for their rooms. An other disconcerting thing was that in the bathroom, we found what looked like 2 or 3 blood stains imbedded in the stone wall...not very reassuring. I have to say, we did enjoy our stay later that evening as we took in the scenery, walked the grounds and slept comfortably. Maybe if we could have arrived at noon (like we wanted to do before the rental car disater), enjoyed a relaxing wine tasting and had plenty of time to get used to our room, we might have enjoyed it more. My last request is that the owners create a safe place to leave the keys as we had to leave earlier than 10 AM (when the place opens) to try to find a breakfast restaurant in town...We feared that our keys might get used by local teens to go raid the room of the bottles of wine that are left in each room on an "honor system"! On a positive note, we really enjoyed exploring HaHa Tonka Park the next day!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beachsoulfl
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I just got back from a long weekend at Lake of Ozarks. We stayed at a resort for the first 3 nights, then the Casa de Loco Winery the last night. I was looking for something different and remote. We found the view very pretty - but our room was lacking. The dumpster was right outside our door, full of trash, room number 4. The door on our room wasn't sealed very well, like a snake or mouse could have easily come thru the cracks. Shower was not working, had to try and shower with one side jet. Room was dirty. I definitely wouldnt recommend this for the elderly or children. The grounds were dangerous without railings, rock walk paths were not maintained. The pizza was good, but the area around the ovens had trash that wasn't cleaned up. On a whole, i think things are unorganized and cleaning is not a priority with this winery.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kirchhoff123
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Cheers to all at Casa de Loco. Nice accommodations, outstanding staff, great wine, and great Pizza! I've had the pleasure of meeting the owner larry Owens on our winery tour, who shared with us his passion for excellence in wine.

By far one of my favorite places to visit.  The wine is great; the scenary  is magnificent; but it is the casual friendliness and efficient professionalism of the staff that keeps me coming back.  Many thanks for the "world class" experience. I'll share with my friends and family back home.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Gottman09
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We paid $130.00 per night at this winery to stay in a room that was amazing until you went to settle in. We saw spiders everywhere and when we went to kill one under the bed, we noticed alot of trash under the bed. We called the owner in and he wondered why we would look under the bed. We made him clean our room, but we had to help him move the bed. The trash filled a kitchen size bag fully.
The bathroom has a euro style modern shower with only half the features working. A scorpion had made its home near the toilet. There were no bath robes that were mentioned on a card.
There was no room service and sprint does not get service here. Wi-fi did not work.
Do not bring kids and do not drink too much. This winery is an accident waiting to happen. There are poorly laid walkways, no railings on alot of the edges. This is no small drop, rather a 50+ dropoff to a river.
Drink, enjoy the wine that is made in California state. This is falsely a Missouri Winery. Eat the pizza, its good. The staff can be very friendly. The live music is fantastic. Have a sober chauffer so you can make it home. just dont stay over night and do not become a cliff jumper.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mizzoutraveler1
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I just got home from a weekend in Lake of the Ozarks. We've stayed at Tan-Tar-A in the past but decided to go off the beaten path a bit this year...both literally and figuratively. Casa de Loco is a winery just south of Camdenton, MO. Primarily they are a location for weddings during the warmer months but their wine store is open year round, as is their guest house. It's a small property, just four rooms (one is a two-room suite and I think the rest are one-room), and one Honeymoon Cottage. We stayed in one of the one-room accomodations. The room is a bit on the small side but has lots of nice little extras: sleigh-style bed, pillow-top mattress, nice sheets, lightweight down comforter, flatscreen tv with dish network cable, microwave and fridge, popcorn and coffee in the room, granite countertops for the vanity sink, towel warmer rack, and combo jacuzzi tub/rain shower/acupressure shower. The few pieces of furniture are constructed from wine barrels, and there is an "honor bar" (honor wine rack, actually), with four of the wines made by the owner on the premises.

The winery is located off the main highway, and the route there will take you over some unpaved road, but it's well worth the trip when you get there. The view of the valley is spectacular. We enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting (the port wine is a must). They make pizzas in a wood-burning oven on the property, and at $12 a pie for any toppings, the price can't be beat. Desserts are also available on property although we didn't partake in those. A small gift shop also offers various wine-related items and some gourmet eats. (Chocolate toffee pistachios...yum!) We had a chance to meet the owner and he told us how he made the port wine, and also gave us a complimentary plate of cheese and crackers.

Back at our room my husband and I enjoyed relaxing and watching some TV. We had a little trouble figuring out the heater (it was run by remote control and there were no instructions), but once we got it running the room was toasty warm. A secondary heater was also provided to keep the bathroom warm. There were only two problems we ran into that hopefully will be fixed by the next time we visit....the power console to our jacuzzi tub was not working (room #4), which meant that we weren't able to enjoy any of the advanced features of the shower, including the jacuzzi jets. There was plenty of hot water though, and I was still able to enjoy a nice soak in the tub, and my husband had a nice hot shower in the morning. There was a stray hair or two and a single blade grass in the jacuzzi tub but otherwise it was very clean. The rest of the bathroom was also extremly clean. I was told that there would be wi-fi access, which there was, however the router in the main office must have been on the fritz because while I was able to access the wi-fi network I couldn't connect to the internet. A word to the wise: The store closes in winter months at 6pm, and after that none of the staff stays on the property. So, if you have any questions about how to use the amenities, or need anything looked at, you'll need to do it before they close up shop as once they are gone you'll be on your own. We left the following morning before the store opened at 10am, but since the room was pre-paid we just left our keys in the room and took off. I found it a little unsettling to be on my own with none of the staff available at night, but my husband (who is also from a small town) tells me that it's not completely unusual for a smaller town privately-owned business. Also the honor bar mentions bathrobes but there were none in our room...would have been nice to have one to use when we got out of the shower.

In spite of the hiccups with the room amenities, I would still recommend this location. I gave them a phone call the following morning and let them know about the issues with the jacuzzi, wi-fi, and bathrobes, so hopefully those will be fixed by our next visit. We are already talking about visiting again when the weather is a little warmer...I understand that they get pretty busy with wedding bookings during spring/summer so hopefully they'll be able to squeeze us in. If you do decide to make the trip here, we would suggest packing along some extra snacks for the room in case you get the munchies...there are supermarkets and drug stores in Camdenton so just make a stop before you head out to the winery. Also the ceramic floors in the bathroom were extremely cold...if you're sensitive to that sort of thing you might want to bring some slippers. Overall our weekend was very restful...looking forward to returning when there's a little less snow on the ground!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business