“Not what I expected...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Camdenton
Casa de Loco Winery
Ranked #6 of 7 Camdenton B&B and Inns
“Not what I expected...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We are second-homeowners in Osage Beach and were entertaining friends this weekend, so decided to take a winery tour. There are four in town and we hit this one last, knowing it was a "sister" to Shawnee Bend Winery, which is were we started. We knew the wines were the same both places, but they were collecting Missouri Winery stamps in a "passport" so we felt we needed to go here, too.

The reviews are right. it's a long, winding dirt/gravel road up there, and when you hit the stone bridge, the two signs (one says you take your life in your hands when you cross on this bridge, the other says come on up, the bridge is safe) were our first clue that this wasn't what we would have expected. The buildings are small. The decor is straight Silver Dollar City only from the 1960s. The wine is simply labeled so tht you buy it for the label, not because it's particularly wonderful to drink. I cannot imagine planning a wedding here -- where the heck could you seat people or park their cards? Anyone who would expect luxurious accommodations didn't check it out first. Cell phone service is generally only good in places like this around the main city areas and roads -- even condos down close to the lakefront which are far from developed areas don't have good cell service. Would I come back? Maybe. But my expectations would be very low going into it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We got married today, it was wonderful we chose casa because it was where my husband and i had our first "outing" date. the staff took our pictures since it was just myself and husband she was great. the "accountant" was not as friendly she could use some PR but the others were very nice.

• Stayed July 2012
Arnold, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

The only thing you have going for you is the view...anything else not worth my time ...The lack of staff, dirty kitchen, no ice, the sound system was not working, no staff to help with that... I was not impressed...I would never book a venue at your place, at least not until you got your head out of your britches and make it presentable. You have a good idea, but a pissy ways to run it...Your road leading to the winery is the PITS!!!!!. My advise to you, find a manager with experience to handle your business..Sorry for the cheap shots, but I have to call them as I see them, and your place was not adequate...

Room Tip: Don't Book!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank redhotbooper
Eldon, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

we had my daughter's wedding here. the place is beautiful, the atmosphere is relaxed and fun.
when we had our consultation we were told we'd have the place for set up on fri, all day sat and until 10am on sun. we were told there would be a guy there on sat. to shuttle guests from the lower parking lot and to get us ice or anything we needed, there was no one there for that,our guests had to walk up the hill!
at closer look while setting up the place was filthy, the floor was so sticky. they advertise a chefs kitchen to use ( it's not). there were no utencils to use, no hot pads, no dish cloths or towels to use. the cooler was discusting it had mold all over in side of it.
when we had an issue with the sound system no one could help us.
also when they close there is no one there if you need anything.
on sat. not one employee asked if we needed anything. the winery was very busy on sat. and as we were getting ready we constantly had people walking in and looking around, we even put up a rope across the side walk but that didn't stop them. we finally asked the staff if they could put up a sign, that didnt even stop them.
we used 3 of the 4 rooms they have and the fancy showers they have didnt work right in any of the rooms, the tv and sound system didnt work in a couple of the rooms either.
then to top it off at 730 am on sun the owner's ( or manager's) came in and started breaking down tables and chairs and cleaning up. i had just barely gotten started and was waiting for the reat of my help to get there. after a long night of parting we didn't want to rush to pack up our stuff. we thought we had until 10, i guess its a good thing we didnt sleep any later!
the place is beautiful and full of charm, but i do believe it is not managed well at all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
JC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

The views were beautiful but that was the only thing good about it. The service people were very unprofessional and actually down right rude. The sound system and video system didn't work. The bride had to use her iPOD and portable speakers for her wedding march at the last minute.....the kitchen was filthy. Just can't say anything good about. Think twice before letting the scenery lure you in....Unfortunately we didn't find out until after the fact that this type of service is typical. It's a real shame.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JcBabs
Sedalia, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed in room 4 Sat. night. Pizza was great. We found the room unclean. The dishes were nasty with coffee grinds in the creamer dish & each corner had 5-6 dead spiders. We found the living spiders a hoot. The scorpions joined the party too. The Jacuzzi tub didn't work even though we explicitly confirmed it had one twice before booking the room. After we found it didn't work we checked & there were bad reviews for that room/issue as far back as February. I contacted Larry for a part refund.1st time he said the cleaning lady was right beside him & they were going to check & call me back. 1 hour later no call so I called him. He said she had been at the cottage cleaning & when she was done he would go look & call me. I waited then 2 more hours with no call. I called him to find he was out of the office. So unless you want to pay $80 + tax&tip for a room you can get at motel 8 minus the bugs then don't waste your money. I am contacting the BBB tomorrow.

Room Tip: Dont get one!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrence B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Will try again but hope it's worth the drive nexttime

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Kirtz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camdenton
The Lodge at Old Kinderhook
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
No photo provided
Old Kinderhook
#1 of 7 in Camdenton

Been to Casa de Loco Winery? Share your experiences!