“Lovely Park in Fall”

Ha Ha Tonka State Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Camdenton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Imposing architecture and breathtaking scenery combine to make Ha Ha Tonka State Park one of Missouri’s most treasured spots. Located on the Lake of the Ozarks, the park features the stone ruins of a turn-of-the-20th-century castle built by a prominent Kansas City businessman high atop a bluff. More than 15 miles of trails traverse the park, leading visitors to sinkholes, natural bridges, caves and down to the lake.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We visited in mid- to late-October 2013. It was a weekday, but there were other people on the trails with us (not many, though). It was interesting to see so many structures in a park and the different geography (forest, rocks, prairie).

The "trail" from the closest parking lot to the Castle up to the Castle itself is a paved pathway and is wheelchair accessible.

Tip: The trail map on the Missouri State Parks website is much better than the ones they have in the park. The trails do overlap each other and you need to watch the markers to stay on the one you want.

1  Thank marshian85
in 7 reviews
"whole family"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I now live in an area surounded by the State Park. The old "Castle" ruins are just a mile from my home and are just the beginning. The river cave offers viewing of tens of thousands of bats going ou to feed for the night during warm weather. There are great walking trails. You need an imagination to place yourself back in time when the castle was new and what a paradise it was. Then imagine the Osage Indians living here just more than 150 years ago. Take a full day to enjoy the area.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I live within an 1 1/2 hours of Ha Ha Tonka and have always wanted to visit. Because the Lake of the Ozarks offers other destinations, I have always put it off until today! The weather was amazing, the leaves changing colors was phenomenal and just the overall experience was mind boggling. I believe the views from the trails rivaled some of those I've spent time on in Colorado. Well worth the trip, but I would make sure the weather was conducive to walking as I sure wouldn't want to experience the steps on a hot and humid Missouri day and make sure you use the restrooms before your hike as bathroom facilities were minimal.

1  Thank Faith G
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

We took the kids to the Lake of the Ozarks for a mini-vacation before they started school. I'm not a huge fan of the lake but it was nice to get out of town for a few days. I don't really enjoy water where I can't see my toes, the Lake of the Ozarks is not the cleanest lake in MO by far! I am a HUGE fan of MO state parks so I was excited to make a little early morning trip to Ha Ha Tonka State Park for some gorgeous views and a little exercise. This park did not disappoint. It had some wonderful trials, access to a cleaner and clearer part of the Lake and a little bit of history. I wish I would have had more time to explore. The trails were pretty crowded but that doesn't bother me too much. I bet fall would be a wonderful time of year to do some hiking and or trail running. There are some awesome view points up on the bluffs where the abandoned castle still stands.