“Really good food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I stopped by on a Saturday evening for dinner. The service was very good and the Steak dinner was even better. Cooked to perfection. Would definitely recommend this place to every one. If you go, you have to try the bel air potatoes and the broccoli salad. YUM

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Port Cape G R&L appeared like magic when we were looking for a place to have an early dinner. Or maybe it was the aroma from the BBQ that was wafting in the air that led us there. Besides eating where General Grant made his headquarters & is on the Nat'l Reg. of Hist. Landmarks, as well as being one of the oldest original structures west of the Mississippi R., the food was good & atmosphere interesting. We were seated quickly & had a nice waitress who kept an eye on our progress, but wasn't invasive. I had the BBQ Pork Sandwich on Toast & drizzled their spicy sauce on it. Very tasty. An order of onion rings as a side were thick, crunchy, & some of the best I have eaten.
After we ate, we toured the building. There is a bar room with an antique bar, has framed comics drawn on napkins that are entertaining, & don't forget to say hello to the cross-eyed mule. Do go into the restroom (women's...don't know about the men's) & look up on the walls toward the ceiling; it'll put a smile on your face. There is an upstairs that was set up for a dinner theatre; stage area & lower & upper seating. The upper section had windows where you can watch the Mississippi River, as the second story puts you above the flood wall. Though there was a bit of a smoke smell, they must be trying to do their best to vent it.
We had a lovely meal in one of those places that are getting more difficult to find.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Dry rub, cooked slowly and tender. 1/4 chicken was smoked and then covered/cooked with sauce. Perfect size, delicious and tender.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I would like to say I was with a group of 6 over the weekend and we went in to Port Cape around 5:45 PM on Saturday evening. There were numerous tables available but were told they were reserved for later in the evening. I inquired as to what time the reservations were for and they stated for 7:00 and 7:30. I asked why we could not eat at one of the tables and be out of there by then. They told me that is just not how it works. Why in the world would you turn away business for a reservation that is an hour and a half away. Our party would have been an additional $120 I am sure and you turn that away?? How many others did they turn away that night for this reason. There were a few parties in there at the same time that they turned away/ The manager was very rude when we inquired about this. The only concern they had was the St Patricks Day party that was going on in the bar. I hate to tell the owners but you really should look into this issue as it is costing you numerous dollars in revenue and future customers. This is really poor management. I can assure you that we will not be back and I will never recommend this place to anyone again. We usually go there several times a year as we are from Illinois and always took people with us. I would always recommend to others traveling to this area. Just thought you might want to know how your place is being managed. When I say the manager was rude....he was very rude. And I am assuming he was the manager. Short stocky guy with dark hair and glasses. There were numerous customers in the area when we had our discussion with him regarding this and they were appalled at this attitude and how he handled himself. His only concern was the drinkers in the bar area. Again great place and great food but management is very lacking. I very rarely take the time to contact someone like this but the way this was handled was absolutely ridiculous. Just food for thought.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Their b-b-q is pretty good. The Grant's salad with hearts of palm & artichokes, among other ingredients, is very good.