“Good, but not the best”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cape Girardeau
Joplin, Missouri
“Good, but not the best”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Positives: The hotel was VERY clean and the staff was polite and helpful. The breakfast was good and the bed was comfortable. We actually rested quite comfortably the two nights we stayed.

Negatives: This must be an older hotel based upon decor and room design-- not having a separate vanity so that my companion and I could get ready at the same time was not convenient. Another negative was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. The final negative, although tiny, is the lack of the 'normal' afternoon warm cookie. I've come to look forward to this during my stays at Hampton Inn. I told my companion that she would love it and that the cookies were great. (Since there wasn't a plate of them in the lobby, I had to ask.) The gentleman at the front desk told me they didn't have any, but did give me a local made cookie. It wasn't as good, by any means, because it was packaged and not fresh.

The negatives during this trip were minute, but for the price I paid, I expected the average "extras" I have received at other Hampton Inn hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is not going to be able to compete with the newer hotels in the area if they do not remodel and especially if they do not train the staff on how to cognize diamond members. I stay exclusively at Hilton Brands but if I am ever in Cape again I will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Kansas City
Reviewed 16 May 2014

...to preserve this beautiful specimen of a late 1980s Hampton Inn before they're all gone! This hotel is amazing. Except for the flat screen TV and the bedding, my room has been essentially untouched since the late 1980s, which I'm guessing is when this one was built. Mauve and teal, taupe grasscloth, you name it, this hotel has it. It's like stepping back in time about 25 years.

That said, the room was VERY clean and bright, not old and dingy. Just old. High marks for housekeeping. Breakfast was good, though the breakfast buffet is located in 3 or 4 different spots in the dining area, so assembling breakfast was a bit of a chore. Come stay here and bring your Walkman and your Jane Fonda workout video!

Room Tip: Your views are of highway clutter in any direction.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Madison, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Upon check-in I was welcomed with a cookie baked locally and a smile. Although I arrived later in the night, the front desk staff appeared to be sharp and alert. The room was clean and I slept great in the beds. This is a quality hotel. They also share a parking lot with a steak restaurant and are within walking distance to Target.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Covington
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Helpful and pleasant staff, extremely clean facility and non-smoking--all pluses for any hotel. It is also pet friendly and I was not put in a disgustingly dirty room just because I had a dog with me. I do think that, despite the quality, it is still a bit expensive. Yet, it has been a place I can continue to count on in my travels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Carthage, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel offered me a great reception as I arrived late at night, and I found my receipt under my door when I left at 5:30am the next morning. I was refreshed with an excellent sleep, shower, and room accomodations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel the weekend of April 4th when we were in town for a funeral and the Holiday Inn Express where we usually stay was full. On the plus side, the rate was good, the staff was cordial and helpful, and the bed was comfortable. But, the rooms are dated, the sink in our bathroom hardly drained, there was no microwave or refrigerator, and the walls were thin. If you can book ahead, the HI Express is a much nicer property.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family