“College Reunion”

Drury Inn & Suites Cape Girardeau
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cape Girardeau
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We gather in Cape Girardeau every Labor Day weekend for a reunion with our college friends. We always stay at the Drury Suites as it is a good value. We enjoy the evening reception and the breakfast. This year however the hotel was completely booked and the breakfast area was packed and it was difficult to get food especially the make it yourself waffles. The staff is always friendly and helpful. We do plan to meet at the same place next year.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BernardMissouri

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Staff is extremely helpful and the room is far better than I expected, as I've never actually stayed in a suite before. Fridge and Microwave work flawlessly, TVs are great, A/C kept me absolutely freezing, which is a plus. Less than five minutes from several wonderful restaurants, a walmart, and a convenience station.

There are a few problems though. Overall, the hotel is a tad dated, the decor is obviously older, and the appliances show their age as well. The bathroom is much smaller than I expected, and the toilet is rather low to the ground (for a relatively tall man). The room was a bit dusty, but nothing that overtly shouts unclean.

Overall, it's a Drury, which means it's intrinsically great, but this particular hotel could use a bit of a makeover. That being said, given another opportunity to stay here, I probably would...but there ARE better hotels in Cape Girardeau, including the recently remodeled Drury Lodge and the Holiday Inn Express (which seems relatively new at the time of this review, but is more expensive.)

The hanging chandelier in the main lobby is awesome to look at though :D.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Ominae
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Cape Girardeau, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. It is very helpful for us to hear from our guests because it helps us to identify any concerns with our team to make the appropriate changes for upcoming stays. We acknowledge that the hotel itself is older, but we are always updating and maintaining so that it does not inconvenience our guests. For example, we have just installed shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel dispensers in every shower. These are great for the environment and easy to use.
If you have any further questions about Drury Hotels, please let us know how we can help. Again, thanks for your feedback and we do hope we'll have a chance to see you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 2 August 2011

My Family traveled to Cape for a quick family reunion and we all stayed at the Drury Suites. The room (RM 120) was large and very accommodating. Our suite was very large, with a sitting room and the bedroom with two twin beds which were very comfortable. There was two flat screen TV's, (sitting room and bedroom) the remotes worked just fine, there was a microwave and a small refrigerator in the cabinet in the sitting room. We did not use the microwave but the refrigerator worked just fine.

The only noise in the hallway came from our own family LOL . The pool and hot tub area was great, I did not go in the pool but family said it was cold but I did use the hot tub which was nice and hot. They even provide towels in the pool area. They have a washer and dryer on the 5th floor which takes quarters $1.25 for one cycle and they have a soap dispenser where you can purchase soap.

The breakfast was very good, with eggs, french toast, juices, bagels etc... lots to choose from. They even have an evening event where they serve nachos and other snacks along with a soda machine and alcoholic drinks for the adults.

Now for the personalization, we had a friend come visit and we all sat in the main lobby area before the evening event began. Kevin, the desk manager turned the soda machine on for our group and provided us paper plates, cups and napkins for the pizza we had delivered.

Patti, the breakfast lady was very nice and constantly roamed the area, asking guests if they needed anything and just being very helpful. Those are the only two names I got but everyone was very nice and made our visit very pleasant.

I will be going back to Cape in October and if I need a hotel I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TN2009
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for Motel 6...it just wasn't what I was expecting at the Drury Suites.

I would have rated it 1 star on merit alone, but added an extra star because they DO have good "freebies" like the breakfast, happy hour, and WiFi.

But that was pretty much the extent of what was good about it. Can anyone say "one ply toilet paper"? A suite hotel should NOT have one ply toilet paper. That's just gross. I'd rather do without the cheese dogs at happy hour if it meant they could round up an extra couple of bucks for an extra ply for their guests. Eew.

The bathroom was again: Motel 6. Nasty old tiles with dark grout, I just felt like I never wanted to walk barefoot. They don't even give you toiletries - just 1 bottle (yes one singular bottle) of shampoo-slash-conditioner. Don't even get me started on the towels. Bonus points if you can dry yourself without having them fall apart.

Then comes the dirty part: there were 2 spots on our carpet where when I walked over it with my socks, my socks stuck. I don't even want to know what was on that carpet.

THEN...this is the best part: we went to turn down the bed and the pillow was COVERED in hair. Not like one accidentally got on there somehow, but that someone had absolutely slept on that pillow before us, and it hadn't been washed.

Adding insult to injury was the fact that our ground-floor room looked out onto the indoor pool, so we had to keep the drapes pulled the whole time, because there were all kinds of screaming kids RIGHT THERE when we opened the drapes. If you dare stay at this place, request a room that's not on the ground floor, or you'll turn into a vampire during your stay for lack of sunlight.

The decor was old, tired, and dark - straight from the 70s. The bed was so nasty - forget the fluffy pillow-top beds that places like Hampton Inn are turning to...I rolled over and pulled the sheet with me, and the nasty mattress was exposed.

They also allow smoking inside some rooms, but since all the rooms are connected to the same air vents, we had to smell everyone else's second-hand smoke all night, even though our room was supposed to be non-smoking.

I'm coming across as a huge hotel snob, and I'm really not. If this really WERE the Motel 6, I'd have no complaints, because it would be what I would expect. This was just so far below my expectations that I had to write about it.

And PS - in case the manager reads this and retaliates that we never complained during our stay or everything would have been fixed - I have made it a habit of never complaining during hotel stays for fear that something will go missing or my toothbrush will end up in the toilet!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BizzyM
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Cape Girardeau, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

We appreciate your feedback about our hotel, but regret that you did not enjoy the experience. We sincerely apologize that your stay was less than you expected and deserved. Please feel comfortable relaying problems to our staff at any time during your stay with us. We believe that our 100% satisfaction guarantee is the least you can expect, and always treat guest difficulties with the utmost care and concern. If you have any further questions, we would welcome your contact.

Reviewed 19 March 2011

I don't know how anyone could complain...I stay at Drury everytime they are in a town I travel to and I have never once been disappointed..this was no exception. Clean, comfortabel but one of top things is how friendly, helpful staff is! They go out of their way to make your stay pleasant and let you know how happy they are to have you. By far, the number one reason Drury stands out is their staff!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2011

After driving for many hours, my husband and I spent the night at the Drury Suites. We can't say enough great things about this hotel. The price was great. We thought we were getting a hotel room and we ended up with a suite.....a living room with a separate bedroom. It was very roomy. The couch in the living room pulled out to a bed if needed. Also had a nice recliner and flat-screen TVs in bedroom and living room. From 5:30 PM to 7 PM, the hotel hosted a "happy hour" of sorts in the main lobby. They gave us each 3 beverages (beer, liquor, sodas, etc) along with hotdogs, meatballs, chicken strips, salad, veggies and dip, and lots of chips. No need to go out for dinner! The hotel is clean and well appointed. There is a free breakfast in mornings too. Don't stay anywhere else.....stay here!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We checked in really fast and got to our room. About 15 minutes after being in the room, the phone rings. It is the front desk asking if our room was ok and if we needed anything to call. I thought that was nice. We went swimming. The pool was cold but the hot tub was nice. The kids didn't mind the cold pool. There were some kids there without adult supervision and an employee of the hotel asked their parents to come down and the employee stayed with the kids until an adult came. I was impressed with that. The food was excellent. For supper, we had hot dogs, chili, baked potatoes, salad, and chips. The rooms was nice in that the sleeping area was closed off from the sitting area in the suite. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. Eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, french toast, waffles. And it all tasted good. Very family friendly.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family