“Boots is the real thing!”
Review of Boots Court Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carthage
Boots Court Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Carthage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at The Boots last week on a trip to visit Missouri's Route 66 and attend the Cubafest in Cuba, Mo. This was the highlight of the trip. I have stayed at a number of Route 66 vintage hotels in the last several years of road travel. Carthage is very fortunate to have Deborah and Priscilla as the new owners of the Boots. Their attention to historic accuracy and preservation is unsurpassed on the route. I especially appreciate their patient approach to restoration and determination to "get it right" through painstaking research, interviews and hours upon hours of "digging". And the payoff is evident in the five rooms that are now available for occupancy.

Deborah and passionate volunteer Ron Hart showed us each available room as well as the underground tunnel, unrestored rooms, garages and other such interesting details of the Boots. As I walked into my room I was instantly transported back to the days of old when Route 66 was truly the Mother Road. No TVs here. However, the radio played the nostalgic tunes of days gone by and helped to keep me in the 40s and 50s throughout my stay. The wood floors are original as are almost every other "artifact" in the room. If not original, they are carefully selected reproductions of what would have been in the room. The bathroom tile and fixtures, meticulously cleaned by Ron and other volunteers, were absolutely stunning. Even the shower head was kept at its original lower height so as not to get your hair wet...an important feature in the days of complicated hairdos and hair products. The bed was very comfortable and the room's temperature and comfort perfectly controlled.

If you are a Route 66 "Roadie" and want a truly authentic motel experience, this is the place. If you are just traveling through with little or no knowledge of local history, give yourself a chance to time travel back to an age when things were slower, simpler, and quieter. You will thank yourself over and over again.

Finally, a special note of thanks to Deborah, Debbie and Ron for their unselfish gift of time, knowledge and friendship. I especially enjoyed our time spent sitting in front of the office at night watching traffic go by as all of you shared your love and passion for this very special place.

I look for forward to a return trip soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank KingRider
There are newer reviews for Boots Court Motel

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I'm originally from Carthage but moved to KC in '78, so I've seen Boots go through its many steps to total decline. When I read it had sold to Deb I was really happy for Carthage as well as Boots.
Chelle and I made our reservations for Maple Leaf months ago, excited to stay there. It was nothing short of fabulous. Debbie checked us in, since we brought the kids we realized we needed extra towels. Walked out the door and ran into Mr Hart of Route 66 C of C fame which led to an hour long tour and history discussion.
Later that night Deb invited us to the evening fire pit gathering up front and looked after our every need.
NO TV, NO phones, nothing but a "radio in every room". Guess what the kids did? Made up games, played with each other and had a ball!
Life as it should be. Spotless rooms, ownership who calls you by name all with the hands of time rolled back 50 years.
Thanks Deb, Debbie and Ron for making it a great stay. The Class of 72 descended on you this past weekend; I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! Paul & Chelle

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank paulwilsonkc
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Ffrom the front you would not be sure if it was wort staying. Well it was. At the back of the motel they have refurbh 5 rooms. We stayed in the Clark Gable room. It has all mod cons' from the 1950 !! No TV but you don't need it. Does have good WIFI signal though. Rooms were large with original floors and the had a the original tiles. It was very clean. Great palce fopr an overnight stop. Debbie the manager was very helpful and very chatty. It had a very good feel to it.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the bigger rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Colin C
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Boots Motel during our Route 66 honeymoon trip. From the moment we first met Debbie we were made to feel extremely welcome. She showed us two rooms which were both beautiful. The room we chose was very spacious and clean, and it had many interesting original features that have been restored to a high standard. I loved that the rooms had a radio instead of a TV since they were restored to how they would have been in 1949, before TV came to Carthage. The radio was tuned to a station that played hits from the 40s and 50s, and it was easy to imagine that I had really gone back in time and was staying at the Boots in the days before interstate travel. It was obvious that the Boots Motel is being restored with genuine passion and I would highly recommend it as a must stop for all Route 66 and 40s/50s enthusiasts.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LauraFenner
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Seemed like a decent size room to me. Very clean.. very retro.. right down to the hardwood floors. No TV.. just a radio tuned to oldies. Nice break! Nice owners seemed willing to do whatever they could to make our stay nice.. and it was. A real step backi in time to old Rt 66.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank PhilCap
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Only five rooms have been restored but those five have been done right. The new owners have given Route 66 travelers another icon to look forward to and travelers of all sorts a comfortable place to stay. Getting the main building back to rent-able condition is a big challenge but I believe these ladies will get it done and I know they'll do it right -- again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Denny G
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Boots Motel on our trip down route 66. The room was clean and very retro. Fitting for a trip down the 'mother road.' The room was set up the way it may have been originally as there is no tv, but an antique radio serves as entertainment. A great place to relax, there are chairs out front for congregating and watching the world go by on old route 66. Only a few of the units have been renovated, and work continues on the remaining units, but it was unobtrusive the night that we stayed. The owners are very friendly, and invited us to join them for breakfast at a local restaraunt located just a few buildings away. With a family dining restaraunt a few doors away one direction, and a breakfast it was a very convenient and pleasurable stop. Reasonably priced too! Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kissy_liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Carthage
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#15 of 23 in Joplin

Been to Boots Court Motel? Share your experiences!