“Nathaniel Hawthorne Room--Great Room; Awesome Food”

Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Carthage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary since we couldn't get out of town until later. We live in a 130 yr old home, so I really enjoyed seeing different updates and finishing touches to make this house accommodate guests. --Loved the tile work and grout color change in the border around the Jacuzzi. At every Victorian Bed and Breakfast I come away with new ideas. The hosts were great and our breakfast was scrumptious and Jeanne worked with our diet desires.

A few have commented that the decor was dated. I felt that even the "dating" in some rooms still fit the house. Yes, there may have been some areas of maintenance in the hallway, etc, but it totally did not detract from the experience. Made me feel at home, because I know how daunting maintaining a historic home can be. My husband says old houses are like a well worn leather jacket--comfortable, but not perfect.

Room Tip: personally I liked the Nathaniel Hawthorne room best of all, but each to their own.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were on a road trip and used Trip Advisor day by day as our plans had been thrown in to disarray due the shutdown. Found this B&B on TA and contacted the owner/host. Jeanne was extremely helpful, not only whilst we were with them, but also e-mailing us with advice and alternative suggestions for our trip (4 weeks in the US) as we were not able to stay at the Grand Canyon or Yosemite. Great old house, lovingly restored in a good location. The rooms are delightful, the hospitality friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hosts are extremely friendly. Comfy n cozy expected in a B&B experience with your own bathroom, flat panel TV and Wifi. Includes a wonderful culinary breakfast. I hope you get the pecan hot cakes, Wow. Beautiful antiques, organs and piano are in great condition. My room had a two person Jaccuzi tub plus a modern shower with multi-jet shower head.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nothing like a fall road trip on the spur of the moment. A showing of Route 66 quilts at a Carthage, Missouri museum got my wife interested, so we booked a room at the Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast. This is a home that was NOT built in the last century, but the century before that, in 1893. It was a beauty in its day, and still is. Our host greeted us at the door and gave an interesting tour of the house, along with its history. It is beautifully appointed and furnished with a variety of period stuff, we felt at home right away. Our ground floor room was the Laura Ingalls Wilder room. We enjoyed a great breakfast and had a long chat with four other guests, three sisters and their 80-year-old mother, who was as bright and chipper as a new penny. Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast does it right. We will return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were treated by our children to a Dinner on our 37th wedding anniversary. We then found we were going for the night to the Grand Ave. Bed and Breakfast. Jeannie had cooperated with our children and had let them in to decorate our bed with rose petals, a bouquet of roses and chocolate strawberries and more. We had a tremendous night and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast in the morning. We enjoyed the experience thoroughly and would recommend Grand Ave. to anyone. It is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The staff serves you graciously without hovering over you. Thanks so much.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We arrived late - and we're welcomed with grace by Joannie. The old house was lovely and the breakfast was yummy. Pecan pancakes, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, and sausage. A welcome change from chain hotels or dumpy roadside motels on our annual trek from TX to ND

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I used to stay in Bed and Breakfasts when I traveled through Britain some years ago, and somehow I never got around to it in the States. But I am changing that now after staying at Grand Avenue. You will the pay same amount of money in a hotel-motel or in some boring, corporate lodging, but you won't get the same good service nor good food. Unlike those typical examples, the Grand Avenue had a great Victorian period ambience, well-mannered owners, and good food.

My room, the Louisa May Alcott, was cozy, clean and had a distinct historical feel to it. I was actually staying in a small room of nineteenth-century writer. I looked at the other rooms, and when there are no guests, the rooms are open. Each room possessed a particular arrangement inside with an overall American Victorian period theme. They also had a larger Mark Twain room usually available. The Victorian style mansion, about 130 years old, was wonderful to walk around in.

The hosts were always friendly, gracious and talkative. Their was no rude attitude that one finds behind a typical hotel reception desk across America. Good manners are extremely important, and they also know a lot about the local culture and history in Carthage. Carthage does have a good amount of history to see and visit.

The breakfasts were delicious and they accommodated my paleo diet with different dishes of eggs, fried pork and fruits. There was always ample coffee served on porcelain - and it was also quite good. There are breakfast buffets in a few hotels - but they are usually hastily prepared and not good at all.

Grand Avenue has changed my travel plans. From now on, I will stay at Bed and Breakfasts for a more personal and authentic experience within small historical cities. Why pay the same rates for a boring, ugly and often rude hotel-motel stay, when you can meet well-mannered, friendly owners that personally decorate their guest rooms and cook great food in the morning?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
Homewood Suites by Hilton Joplin
La Quinta Inn & Suites Joplin
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 6 in Carthage

Been to Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!