Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast
Excellent 5/5
    Very Good 4/5
    Hotel Joplin(Joplin)
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewsb bwonderful placeother guestswonderful visitprivate bathbeautiful victorian homewonderful surprisecomfortable bedsmodern amenitiesher husbandone night stayjeannehostesshostscenturyhistorychildhood
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a wonderful place this is. From the moment we arrived to the time we left it was simply wonderful. We where greeted warmly and given information about the town and restaurants that are yummy. The house is so beautiful and you can tell they really care about this 100+ year old home. We stayed in the Mark Twain room and it is spacious with a super comfy king size bed. We did not want to get up it was so nice. I have not slept this well in a long time. The breakfast was fantastic and believe me you will be full for a while. This place is so fantastic, we are looking for a reason to come back up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Zack D
    Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Grand ave. B&B is in a grand old Victorian residence. We enjoyed our one night stay. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was better than the free hotel offerings you find these days. The price was very reasonable. The neighborhood looked very walkable if you enjoy seeing grand old homes and we would have enjoyed walking around except for the cold and rain the day we stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was possibly the most restful and relaxing place we have ever stayed! Our hostess, Jeannie, welcomed us at the door and immediately made us feel right at home. The house is lovely and very well kept, and the time spent there was so peaceful and relaxing. After showing us around, Jeannie encouraged us to make ourselves at home. We sat on the front porch and felt tension melt away while we enjoyed the peace of quiet of this lovely area. I played on the grand piano in the music room. My husband sat in the parlor reading a book. It was just wonderful! Our room was spacious and the king bed was so very comfortable! In the morning Jeannie made us a fabulous breakfast and served us in the dining room. I felt like a queen! If you would like to get away for a relaxing day or two, this is a really good choice. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Louisa May Alcott room on the first floor is quiet and you don't have to climb stairs.
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here 1/24-1/25/14, and was not disappointed in any way. Every aspect of our stay was exceptional. We were impressed with the house and the Hosts the moment she let us in the front door. If you enjoy the character of older homes, you'll enjoy the detail, and ambience of this B&B. We arrived late in the evening, but Jeannie was still there to greet us, and give us a tour of her home, and made us feel quite welcome, though it was getting late. We were there to play golf on some area courses, and each morning Jeannie fixed a fabulous breakfast that left us content, and not wanting to eat till the evening. She then was very helpful in suggesting several restaurants. It was our anniversary as well, and she made us feel as if this was our home, completely to ourselves, except we had a fantastic breakfast waiting for us each morning. Jeannie also mailed some clothing I had accidentally left behind, at no cost to myself, which I thought was extremely generous on her behalf, and exemplifies how she runs her B&B. We can't wait to visit again ASAP. Thank you for a wonderful experience!!! Great golf courses nearby as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Make time to do some reading in one of the parlor's.
    • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary since we couldn't get out of town until later. We live in a 130 yr old home, so I really enjoyed seeing different updates and finishing touches to make this house accommodate guests. --Loved the tile work and grout color change in the border around the Jacuzzi. At every Victorian Bed and Breakfast I come away with new ideas. The hosts were great and our breakfast was scrumptious and Jeanne worked with our diet desires.

A few have commented that the decor was dated. I felt that even the "dating" in some rooms still fit the house. Yes, there may have been some areas of maintenance in the hallway, etc, but it totally did not detract from the experience. Made me feel at home, because I know how daunting maintaining a historic home can be. My husband says old houses are like a well worn leather jacket--comfortable, but not perfect.

Room Tip: personally I liked the Nathaniel Hawthorne room best of all, but each to their own.
    • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple