“Never Again!!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Carthage
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Never Again!!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My family has been using this Super 8 for many,many years as well as recommended in the past to friends.Unfortunatly the last few years our stays at Super 8 is due to Family deaths & severe illnesses..BUT we've stayed at this Super 8 for the last time!!, I had reserved a non-smoking room ( which is on the main floor)for 2 nights, but the room smelled so bad and there were even burn marks through out the room showing it had been smoked in. The bathtub was dirty & the toilet had not been flushed or cleaned. The TV wasn't working & I had called the front desk 3 times & there wasn't an answer so I went a head & walked up there & when I got to the end of the hallway there was a lady on her cell phone & she told me they were having issues with thier room & had been calling the front desk & couldn't get anyone to answer, so when she seen the manager"Sonny" sitting on the couch in the lobby watching TV she was calling the front desk to see if he would get up & answer it but he didn't. I told the manager"Sonny" about the TV & he said he would come down & look at it & showed us there is a box that has sticky tape on it & says it needs to stay taped to the side of the TV to get it to work. The air conditioner wasn't working, you could not adjust the temp. so the room stayed hot, it would kick on for 8 min. then it would go off for 15 min. & it smelled moldy when it did come on. There was a used dried up coffee filter in the coffee pot. Unfortunetly our stay this time was due to my mother being very ill & Hospice is taking care of her, well on our second day I had gotten sick with a stomach bug & was told I couldn't be around my mother, so I had notified the manager"Sonny" that I was going to have to go home and why, which I live out of state, and needed to get a refund or credit for our second night and he refused to do anything..NO refund, NO credit for a future stay or anything...I explained to them that my mothers healthcare personel would not allow me to be around her and THEY COULD CARE LESS. THIS SUPER 8 IS NOT PEOPLE FRIENDLY AND THEY DO NOT CARE IF THEY HAVE RETURNING CUSTOMER LOYALTY!!!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
BEGGS
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Room was clean, thin towels, working alarm clock. Clerk was ambivalent at best during check in. Bed was comfortable but furniture fabric is beginning to tear apart.

Stayed February 2012
1 Thank keyman11
Atlanta
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Not a lot of choices in Carthage, particularly that allow pets. The hotel and room were fine. No real problems. No good place to walk the dog, though. You would think pet-friendly hotels would have a place for the pets to go. But no. Everything was cement and gravel. I had to take the dog across the street to do his business in a strip of grass next to the road. Rooms were typically small Super 8 rooms but it surved it's purpose.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Kansas City
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed one night there. Front desk staff was inattentive - was trying to deal with their own child who was on the customer side of the counter bothering her mom. Check-in was accurate. Room was moderately clean - not spic-n-span. Only had 2 thin towels. Went to front desk and requested more. Seemed to be a bother. They told me I had 2 towels. Had to explain why I wanted to shower in both evening and morning. Finally got towels but had they had to make a note in a spiral notebook why I needed them. Was worried if I was going to be charged. Beds were extremely hard. Pillows flat. Above all else the beds were inadequate in today's times. Morning food bar (Sunday morning) was terrible. Donuts were hard as the bed. Biscuits were so hard you could barely cut them with the plastic knives. Gravy was near water consistency. Orange juice machine was mixing apple juice (I hope) because the juice was not orange and smelled funny. I stay at luxury hotels and cheap hotels and know the difference. However this hotel was just not up to the usual "cheap" hotel standards that one should expect for $70 per night. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cowboyshooter
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stopped and checked in @ 9:00 p.m. The gentlemen who checked us in was very friendly. He put us in a room away from the highway. The only thing they did not have was an ironing board and iron. I would have liked to iron a shirt that was wrinkled.

• Stayed November 2011
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Rooms are "adequate" as far as cleanliness. Hotel staff seemed really nice. Parking/Access were good. There's only a hot-tub, which was fine for us. the furniture seems pretty well used and not spotless by any standard. The white linens were spotless, but the comforter/blanket had eye shadow stains. The heater/AC unit was making an abnormal sound after an hour that made me turn it off (in January). Overall, I'd give it about a 6/7 out of 10. Could've been better. But then again, I paid $75 after taxes.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Albuquerque
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Recently I stayed at this property for one night while on a cross-country vacation. I found the room to be quite nice and enjoyed my experience with the manager. The property is well kept and convenient to restaurants and Wal-Mart store. The price was reasonable and I recommend this property for travelers. The weather was extremely hot the day I checked in but the room cooled down relatively fast. The street noise is minimal and I had good night overall.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
Quality Inn & Suites
#15 of 23 in Joplin
Super 8 Joplin
Super 8 Joplin
#17 of 23 in Joplin

Been to Super 8 Carthage? Share your experiences!