“Wonderful way to Usher in the New Year”

Edgewild Restaurant & Winery
Reserve with OpenTable
Edgewild Restaurant & Winery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 208 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Clarkson & Hwy 40
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My boyfriend and I thought we would hit a few of the more upscale bars in Chesterfield on New Year's Eve, listen to some music, and spend a relatively tame evening to celebrate the new year. Edgewilde was the second stop on our list, and though we had planned on going to at least one more venue, we enjoyed ourselves so much at Edgewilde that we called a friend to ask her to join us, ordered some delicious goat cheese appetizers, danced to the wonderful music provided by a talented duo, and rang in the new year with the many other patrons who were delightful to us and our friend. Our server, Tony, was attentive, prompt, courteous, and fun. The food was fabulous, and the drinks were perfect. As midnight approached, the wait staff came out with trays of champagne flutes and served all who wanted to toast to the New Year. We had a FABULOUS New Year's celebration! Thank you, Edgewilde!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Incredible friendly and beautiful place... such a delight to work with.I have gone back for happy hour and dinner and will continue to. Food is wonderful!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

A group of friends and I visited your establishment last night for dinner and intended to stay for drinks to celebrate the New Year. 10 of us arrived around 7 pm and shared 3 bottles of wine, which were great. The food was beautifully served and equally amazing in regards to pleasing my palate. After dinner, four of our friends departed and those of us remaining opted to move to the bar area where there was live music. Two couples were staying at the Drury Inn nearby (walking distance), and the other included a sober chauffer. As we were getting settled in at our table, a server came by and we let them know that we weren't quite yet ready to order our drinks. Once we were settled in, I approached the server's station to let them know to send a server our way when they could. I received a snarky, "A server was just by and you weren't ready.", in response. I retreated to my seat, and a server arrived a few minutes later, who introduced himself as 'Tony'. I greeted him with a friendly, "Hi, Tony!", to which he told me to take it down a few notches (I have considerable hearing loss in my left ear, so I am often louder than I realize when there is a lot of background noise. And where I come from, being friendly is a way of life, not a sign of intoxication). Feeling embarrassed by how I had now been treated now twice by your staff, I sat back in my chair and let my friends order a couple bottles of wine, simply nodding that I would share what they had ordered. Our table was then abruptly approached by two other members of your staff, while 'Tony' watched from above. We were questioned regarding our level of intoxication, at which point we informed your staff of our appropriate driving arrangements (our ability to make it home safely was their expressed concern). My friends with hotel keys were smugly told that they could have made their plastic cards at home or saved them from a prior stay...mind you, we are all in our 30s and 40s with careers, children, etc - much too busy to bother with something so ridiculous. We were then offered coffee and water by your staff, though again...those of us imbibing had enjoyed only a couple glasses of wine apiece at dinner AND had appropriate arrangements. A gentleman standing next to me indicated they were concerned how intoxicated the 'lady in black in the corner with the red nose' was...to which I replied that she was in town from TX and had gotten a cold from the dry winter air, and had drank no more than any of the rest of those of us drinking. As we all stood up to leave, disgusted and embarrassed by how we were being treated, a fourth member of your staff then approached us - this time the manager. As we tried to explain what was going on, she too made us feel very offended despite her apologies...she advised that she did not feel we had been over-served, and offered us each a glass of wine. At this point, we were all too upset and embarrassed to even try to enjoy the rest of our evening at your establishment. We retreated (walked) to the hotel lobby where we enjoyed wine from plastic cups, surrounded by children spraying silly string and shouts of "Happy New Year" at the strike of midnight. While we enjoyed our meal last night and were able to celebrate the evening together, we will sadly not be returning to your establishment any time soon. Having paid my way through college by working at bars and restaurants, I understand the responsibility that comes with serving alcohol. I also understand that there is a respectable way to treat those patrons who are believed to have consumed too much in one night. I hope that in the future, you can better prepare your staff for nights of celebration.

1  Thank Erin E
Andrew K, Owner at Edgewild Restaurant & Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Erin,

It certainly was a sad end to 2013. We are glad you enjoyed your meal but very sorry that the later part of your evening was less than Stellar. Safe and responsible alcohol service is a touchy issue. Often times many guest feel that they are fine but are in fact over served. We are in the business of selling alcohol, food and frankly fun. We had live music past midnight and would have welcomed your group to stay and spend more money. For whatever reason whether it was because of the flu, loud talking and perhaps being over served our staff determined that a few members of your party were over served. You must understand that it doesn't matter whether you have a designated driver or staying close by within walking distance. If we continue to serve alcohol to those over served and they end up getting injured it would fall back on the restaurant as a responsible party. Our manager was attempting to serve wine to the members of your party that appeared not to be over served, but you would have none of that.
When we approached your table to communicate this several members of your party became combative and they made quite an embarrassing scene. One member at your party threw his wine club card at the tasting bar employee and yelled several 4 letter words about quitting the Wine club. Not a very professional response to be honest.
I apologize for the negative interaction and have dealt with members of my staff who you identified as being rude, but my folks have feelings too and your group was less than courteous. I hope you find other restaurants to your liking. If we can be of further service to you please let us know.

Andy Kohn
Owner

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This was my first time at the restaurant. The food menu was varied and featured many fresh and interesting takes on standard selections. For dinner I had the Thai.Beef salad and the appetizer of the crusted goat cheese. Both were terrific. The wine menu is extensive with many varietals and broad price range. This is definitely on my visit again list.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Came here due to the large variety of gluten free options. That is why I wanted to them a very good rating but serving cold food to diners that pay good money is why it has an average rating instead. It's hard to dine with a duo that is gluten free and the other that is vegetarian. They have a special separate menu if you ask. They also tout themselves as a winery. Really? Where's the vineyard? We were told they buy grapes around the country to bring high quality wines at a cheaper price. The truth is this place has one of the most expensive single glass wine menu's I've seen in STL. Our food came out and my steak was fine but the other entree ordered at my table was a ravioli that was cold. The dish was ruined because of it. We will never send back an entree to the kitchen so it was eaten anyway but when you are paying $90 for two people you expect more.
I would try this place again due to the effort to accommodate different kinds of diners but wish the kitchen would pay more attention to detail.

Andrew K, Owner at Edgewild Restaurant & Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to come eat at EdgeWild and writing this review. It is never acceptable to receive cold food at our restaurant. We apologize for that experience and we will discuss it internally however, I must encourage you to inform the restaurant that you are having an unsatisfactory experience, we hate nothing more than to think you left happy only to read negative reviews online. It is our desire to correct our mistakes and satisfy all of our guests while they are at EdgeWild. We depend on you to leave happy and to tell your friends you loved our place. We employ around 80 local folks who also want you to leave happy as well.

With regards to our wine, we are quite proud of our program. Like you said we purchase high quality grapes and employ talented wine makers from the west coast to make much of our EdgeWild Wine. these are not cheap bulk wine made in huge volume wines but rather super high quality and hand crafted. The most we make of any one wine is a couple of hundred cases.
Much of the wine we purchase is also excess wine from Parker rated 92-96 points wines. these wines can be found in Wine stores with another label for 50-150 bottle yet we offer them at a modest 8-12/glass, this price hardly ski high pricing. However we did start offering some very high end wines by the glass. These 8 wines range from 14-26/glass. We starting doing this because we felt that a small percentage of our customers would prefer this. We offer Silver Oak, Nickel and Nickel, and Chateau Montelena by the glass and if you check them out you will find them listed proudly for 70-100 bucks at any wine shop.

With regards to us being a winery, Yes we are on a mall parking lot and there are no vines growing out back or wine making room, however we barrel age wine on site. We own a large percentage of a winery and vineyard, we buy our own bottles, corks, bottles and we have contracts for grapes which are grown for us. I think if you researched the issue you will find many other labels that actually own nothing more than a label. They contract out their growing, winemaking and own nothing at all. Yet many folks gladly drink their wine.

We offer more than 30 wines for less 8- 12 dollars a glass and have a happy hour each day till 6pm in the bar where 4 varietals are offered for 5 dollars per glass. Please come again and let me show the EdgeWild difference and next time you dine please let you server know when you receive an unsatisfactory meal.

thanks for your feedback and we do look forward to a future visit.

Andy Kohn