“Pluses and Minuses”

Comfort Inn & Suites St. Louis - Chesterfield
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Chesterfield
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I had some concerns about staying here after reading some of the reviews. Overall, it didn't live up (down?) to my worst fears (smoke, bugs, hair, over-charging, etc.), but I'm not sure I'd choose to stay here again.

First, the good: convenient location close to interstate and Chesterfield Valley athletic complex, shopping, and restaurants. Breakfast was passable, parking and laundry room were adequate, and it was nice to have a fridge. Staff was pleasant (although we had very little contact with them) and we didn't experience any issues with reservations or billing. The price was ok for what we got, but not a great bargain for 3 nights. So, could be worse--nothing specific to complain to management about.

However, and maybe this is because I usually stay at a couple of other brands, I wasn't very comfortable here (no, I'm not a snob--I'm too much of a cheapskate and use points whenever I can at the other brands). There was a strong smell of fabric softener sheets in the lobby. Not like someone was actually doing laundry, but like they were using them tucked into the furniture to try to de-mustify the area. For me, overwhelming air freshening attempts send up a red flag (but maybe I would have complained more if I had smelled what they were trying to mask).

Everything was somewhat dingy, and I really, really wanted some spray cleaner and a roll of paper towels to wipe down the elevator button panel! I am not a neat freak, but I am a little leery of things that look as though they haven't been cleaned in weeks (dealing with the elevator would take all of 30 seconds--why not check it a couple times a day? Even once a day? Doesn't the housekeeping crew take the elevator and notice how disgusting it is?) . There was a slight stale cigarette smoke smell in the hall, but not in the room, so it didn't really bother me.

In our room, the only real (but relatively minor) annoyances were with lighting. The sink mirror light was dim and the bathroom fan was loud, as others have mentioned, but using the timed heat lamp in the bathroom let us avoid the fan noise. There wasn't a specific issue with cleanliness (maybe the tiniest amount of mildew on the edge of the shower curtain), but it just really didn't FEEL clean. I didn't want to touch anything, and I'm usually not that way. Maybe it's not fair, and maybe it was influenced by the other things I saw outside of the room (or the dim lighting!), but I mention it because it's unusual for me, and because it's something that might be fixed by paying attention to those seemingly unconnected details (like the elevator!). So, a little dim, a little dingy and worn, but not the worst place I've ever stayed.

Room Tip: We faced away from the interstate and didn't hear it at all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mlunu

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My family goes on an annual shopping trip each November. Each year we book a hotel that has adjoining rooms as we need 2 hotel rooms. After booking our room, I followed up multiple times with Ann, who works at the front desk, to confirm that we would have adjoining rooms for our visit. When checking into the hotel, we were told that there were no adjoining rooms available. Because a manager was not on duty that day or the next when we checked out there was nothing that could be done about the situation. I contacted the customer service manager, Adam Eldin (who happened to also be the hotel manager) that evening as his phone number was provided at the front desk. After he was done laughing about the fact that he was receiving a complaint from a hotel customer I explained situation. He offered a room with a hot tub, but considering the issue was that we did not receive the promised adjoining rooms, that did not help the situation. He said that he could offer one night stay at the hotel, but again - considering they messed up a reservation with 2 rooms - that did not suffice. I told him that I expected 2 rooms since the error affected both of our rooms. He was not able to approve that and had to contact the owner to have that approved. He was going to call me the following week. I did receive one call letting me know that he had not been able to reach the owner early the week after our stay. It then took 2 more weeks of my leaving messages and trying to contact Adam for me to be able to track him down. During this final conversation he was rude and did not seem to care if they kept customers. He relayed the message that the owner, Mike Ebert, didn't want to offer us anything and I could tell from his nonchalant tone that it didn't matter to him.

Along with the bad experience of not receiving what we were promised, the rooms were not clean, our heater did not work correctly and the breakfast was horrible.

Never will we stay there again nor would we recommend this hotel to anyone. The customer service was HORRIBLE!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tjagjs
Reviewed 6 December 2013

had a great stay last weekend.went x-mas shopping at new outlet mall kids had a good time swimming felt really safe for the family. the staff was very helpful and the rooms were very clean and had big flat screen tv.breakfast was very good overall had a great stay .

Room Tip: less than a mile away from two outlet malls great location
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel and was pleased with my stay. The staff are very nice and friendly, plus very helpful. They have a great breakfast bar and also have happy hour. It is located in a safe nice area and has plenty of shopping and restaurant stores around the area. I would prefer to stay here again than other locations near St. Louis.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I do a lot of work in this area and have to stay for sometimes weeks at a time. Excellent choice. Service was fantastic. Rooms were clean and spacious. I will definitely make this particular location my home away from home.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Saturday night and was pleasantly surprised at a lot of things about it. The location of the hotel was very close to the outlet mall and to Interstate 64. We had a very large suite room with a Jacuzzi tub which was really nice after a long day of activities. Breakfast was awesome, but there a lot of people in the breakfast area. We would definitely stayed here again in the future,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

my family and I stayed over the weekend for a birthday party in town and just could not be happier with this awesome hotel. We arrived late and my youngest child smelled popcorn but it was all gone. The front desk person overheard the dilemma and promptly made a new batch just for us. Thank you Dennis! The room was clean and spacious. I think the breakfast was one of the best of any hotels. It was cold and rainy so the indoor pool was a life saver. This was a great experience and we will stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Try a mini suite or Jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family