“Exceptional Sicilian food. Great ambience.”
Review of Paul Manno's Cafe

Paul Manno's Cafe
Ranked #3 of 208 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

On a recent visit from the Uk. We booked at Paul Manno's, on recommendation by friends and trip advisor reviews. We weren't sure as we approached the entrance, which is in a small shopping area, black windows gave no indication of what was inside. Only a small insignificant sign told us we had arrived. The doors opened and we entered the world of a small, understated, but elegant New York "Brat Pack" Sicilian restaurant. What a surprise!! The decor was immaculate, the service attentive and knowledgable, the wine list and advice very good. As I always judge a new Italian restaurant on its Lasagne, I was pleased to see a home made " Mama's" recipe on the menu. This was exceptional, with beautifully subtle flavours. The Tiramisu was also home made and again was scrumptious. We will be booking again this week as we are in the USA again. Definitely worth a visit, I am sure it will become a regular eating place for us when we are in Chesterfield. Excellent !!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have read many good reviews for this restaurant, and had high hopes. Restaurant staff below expectations in nearly every area. We were first of party to arrive and settled in at the smallish bar, where it took about ten minutes from ordering for them to make a cosmo and a martini. Once entire party arrived, we were ordered, brusquely in all our opinions, to move to our table.
Food quality was very good; veal chop special and rack of lamb stood out. Service, again, inattentive. I ordered a Super Tuscan by the glass as entrees arrived at the table and never saw our server again until he placed my wine next to my now-empty plate. When it was time for the check, the concept of dividing that check resulted in our server mumbling something about antiquated equipment and his inability to comply (to be fair, we did not inform him ahead of time, but is it really the norm for one person to pick up the tab for a large party?). We ended up giving him one credit card per couple and splitting evenly, but we were all made to feel a bit uncomfortable doing so.
Restaurant is dimly lit, noisy, and the Rat Pack kitsch is applied with the finesse of a fire hose. At these prices, there are at least forty places in town where I'd rather be. They obviously have their fans, but they certainly didn't come close to winning me over on this, my first, and probably last, visit.

4  Thank Bob D
Reviewed 20 October 2013

It's almost impossible to expect much when you pull into a bland shopping mall and walk to the nondescript entrance to Paul Manno's. Once stepping through the door though, you are in for an authentic italian experience that takes you backstage to the Rat Pack era. Food and wine are excellent, and service top notch. I won't make bold predictions about it being the best in town, I will just say that it exceeds expectations based on where it is, and it is priced right. Enjoy it!

1  Thank lynchfamily1
Reviewed 11 October 2013

As a New Yorker, I am perhaps a bit critical when it comes to fine dining. I have learned to lower my expectations and find the good wherever I can. Anyway, when my dear friend/former roommate/sorority sister, who now lives in STL took me to "a very special restaurant," I was skeptical. We pulled into a nondescript shopping center and I secretly rolled my eyes. And then we opened the door to NYC circa mid-1960s. All that was missing was Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack. The ambiance, service and food all combined to create a lovely experience and shut this New Yorker right up! I loved it and highly recommend it to anyone who would like to dine at a truly special restaurant while in STL.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Went here with business associates for an after meeting dinner. Great atmosphere and the service was wonderful. The staff was very attentive, professional, and got everything right. Ordered the signature rack of lamb and if you like lamb you do not need to study the menu, this is it. They slice it into chops when served and it is unbelievable!! The best lamb I have ever had and it will be hard to ever order it anywhere else. The salad, bread, etc....all great! Worth the trip back again and again.