“Visiting from Canberra”
Review of Bloomfield Lodge

Bloomfield Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 June 2014

An English man, an Irish, a Scot, a Welsh man and an Aussie walked into the bar..... oh and several women ...

We were delighted to be guests at Bloomfield Lodge for 5 nights in March celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We wanted to go somewhere relaxing and couldn't have chosen a better destination. In many ways it is better than going to a destination like Fiji as once you are there there are really no decisions to make except maybe whether to fish off the jetty or get your book out and read whilst gazing over Weary Bay.

We took the option of dining on our own each night in a gazebo but enjoyed our 'group' breakfasts and lunches. I can thoroughly recommend the degustation dinner.

We were concerned at the thought of travelling with only 7kg of luggage per person but can assure you that the relaxed atmosphere means no dressing up required and they supply many extra touches to make life comfortable.

We lashed out and stayed in a Hideaway room which meant a VERY steep walk up the hill but a few days in and we were able to make it home without stopping to 'enjoy the view'. The spa bath on the verandah was a welcome retreat at the end of each climb.

David unfortunately stepped on 'something' whilst foraging in the beach for bait (although they do supply it!) - this meant a trip to the local hospital / clinic organised by the on site managers (in the tropics we didn't dare risk not making sure all was ok).

We also took up the trip to the deserted beach with an extremely well packed esky but unfortunately the reef trip was n/a as the boat had blown an engine....

The only thing that could have made it more perfect would be to have had a swim in the ocean but it isn't possible at certain times of the year. Oh ... And if you can, take a docking station to play music from you phone if you are that way inclined.

The food was great, the staff are well informed and friendly (Brooke, Shane, Paul etc) and the transfers are a highlight in themselves.

We initially thought it was relatively expensive but can honestly say it is great value for money - if you can afford it, spoil yourselves.

This resort doesn't seem to be very well known in Australia - we spotted an advert in The SMH.

CAN'T wait to go back.

Thanks Stephanie & David

Room Tip: Hideaway rooms are fantastic if you can afford it and can make it up the hill!
4  Thank StephN64

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect: staff, good, location, complete incommunicado.

The reef trip was one of the best experiences of our lives.

We were initially a little concerned about social eating, but everybody was compatible and it made the whole experience better.

First night was a bit scary : all kinds of wildlife and shadows on the way back to the room. And a few creepy crawlies, but you soon realise that they leave you alone and the noise at nighttime is heaven.

I'd give 6 stars if I could, we'll be back for a special anniversary.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam H
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Bloomfield lodge is a truly unique experience that takes you completely away from the stresses of work.

We arrived by 4wd and had 3 blissful days at Bloomfield. We decided to drive up from cairns and take the coastal route which took just over 4 hours. The drive was pretty spectacular and adventurous/uncomfortable for the last few hours. I would highly recommend a proper rugged 4wd with a snorkel especially if there has been rain recently.

The lodge has everything you really need with very comfortable accommodation and decent facilities. We stayed in one of the top rooms on the hill and it's quite a climb. If you struggle with steep climbs then definitely request a room at the bottom of the hill.

The day trip out on the reef was the highlight of the trip with only 8 of us onboard - such a rarity for day trips on the Great Barrier Reef! Our guide Shane took us to some great snorkelling spots and a very interesting tour round hope island which finished with a prepared picnic on the beach- pretty hard to beat! On the way back we stopped for some fishing and the catch of the day was canapés a few hours later!

All the staff were really friendly and the nightly canapés had everyone mingling and planning the day ahead. The bar was self help and all done on a honesty policy which is completely what Bloomfield is all about!

Overall I'd highly recommend a stay at Bloomfield for those looking to fully disconnect from technology and simply unwind. It's quite a journey to get here but so worth it for a unforgettable stay!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Travellingagent007
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was a joy and a privilege to stay here for four nights mid-February. The journey there is a great start... 8 seater airplane (and even smaller for the return to Cairns), then a short drive, then a boat ride. We arrived at the lodge mid morning in time for a free welcome drink. Rooms are really wonderful... luxurious and open air with mesh and ceiling fans. Big deck and hot tub. We had room 21, which is up high but the pathway is good and less than 5 mins from central area.
Trips all good... river cruise to see crocodiles, rainforest walk and Bloomfield Falls.
Food always delicious and my fussiness was catered for without making me feel bad. Service excellent, friendly and fun. Max 12 people for our visit as wet season but rain only during evenings and night (which was nice to listen to). We enjoyed the social aspect of dining together (but you don't have to do this).
I loved the sound of birds, frogs etc and the feeling of living outside, especially from shower and toilet! My husband especially enjoyed the honesty bar.
Staff all really excellent. We had a wonderful time there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jacky P
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed 5 nights in March 14 at the end of a our trip and with a plan to relax. What can I say - you chill out toally. The staff are great, nothing seems to be too much trouble. Food was great and having been asked for likes / dislikes etc and stated that I was not allergic to nuts but really didn't like them, I was imressed that I only ever saw nuts on other people's plates.
yes we had rain but we were lucky that it tended to be overnight (3 inches on both the first 2 days) but even when it did rain it didn't stop us enjoying ourselves. There ar umbrellas all over the place and you just pick one up and they magically sort themselves out next morning.
Did the river trip (saw 5 crocs of differenct sizes and lovely scenary), the waterfall trip - great given the recent rain and en route, stopped at an aboriginal gallery where you could charge souvenirs to your room (and they were sensible prices as well). Wife enjoyed a couple of hours of massage whilst I went out to the reef fishing. We also did the rain forest walk. Every thing we did was well organised and the Guides were very knowledgeable and keen to help, doing everything they could to make your day pleasant.
The honesty bar worked well and we had some great company mixing with the other guests over meal times although you don't have to mingle if you don't want to. Initially it sounds expensive but having been - we thought it fairly priced
Fishing off the jetty became a fun activity for quite a lot of the residents.
Yes there are big spiders (we watched one pounce on a circada), there was a python up a tree, a small snake on one of the paths, a selection of birds and butterflies and the star of the show - a Quoll who came out to play 3 nights on the trot and I still failed to get a photo - 1st night he was hiding in the wine rack before running into the library and hiding under a chair, 2nd night, he ran across and disappeared under th building and third night 2 of the guests said he came and sat on the tables to search for crumbs - very cute.
Satff were great (I know I have said that already but I can't say it enough) and as a place to experience the forest whilst chilling out I doubt you can beat this place. We would go back at the drop of a hat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

spending an hour or so oere shown around the edge of the rain forest

Room Tip: we were in the 2nd level of room and although in a row of 4 you couldn't see you neighbours and...
2  Thank howard_keith2
Reviewed 9 April 2014

As a city lover I didn’t even want to visit Bloomfield Lodge for the four nights we stayed in March. I retired from a career in the Probation Service in February, so this was our first break. It is now my number one holiday destination and I can’t wait to return. Bloomfield is accessed via a plane ride, a four wheel drive and a boat trip. The rooms are secluded and on a very steep hill, so inform the staff when booking if you need one on the lower level. The staff were exceptional, from Craig and Cori the managers, the chef who caters for all fussy eaters (although it is a good idea to email ahead to warn him!), the masseur and the cleaning staff who kept our room spick and span. The guides on our trips are so knowledgeable about their part of the world, although Paulie never did finish his tale of the python found in his garage, so hoping he will be there when we visit again because we have talked about nothing else since returning home! The population in this area is now around 400, it was approx 70 when Shane moved there; he assured us that it’s not all down to him!
It is the rainforest so expect to get wet – but the weather doesn’t stop most activities from taking place. My partner Frank and I had private walks on the local beach and around the walking trails at the Lodge. We went crocodile spotting twice because we enjoyed it so much (something I was determined not to do before we arrived!). The Bloomfield Falls are worth a visit .We spent 2 weeks in New Zealand on the way home and none of the waterfalls matched those at Bloomfield. Frank did some successful fishing while I was pampered in the beauty room.
The rainforest walk with Paulie was very informative; I haven’t climbed up grassy banks and slipped down them again since I was a child. Frank insisted of taking a photo of me, filthy dirty and with bruised cut legs because he has never seen me like that. And I loved every single second of it! (Stay for 4 nights and receive the rainforest walk and crocodile spotting trips for free.)
Dinner is at 7.30pm but canapés are served at 7pm. This provides a chance to talk to other guests about their day, and to organize excursions for your next day. You can be as sociable (or not) as you please. Myself, I enjoyed the company of the other guests at breakfast and lunch, but wanted to spend time with Frank during the evening meal, and just a word with Cori meant we had a table for two every evening. I enjoyed the lack of access to the outside world, no television, radio, telephone or internet access. Cori walked with us to the boat on our last morning and I’m not too proud to admit I shed a few tears when we set off – thank you to fellow guests Garry and Wendy for running down the jetty waving us off, at least that made me laugh!
Off to Las Vegas soon, and for the first time in 14 years I will be wishing I was somewhere else. Everyone should experience Bloomfield Lodge just once in their lives.

6  Thank 227vegas
susanmwLondon, Public Relations Manager at Bloomfield Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you very much for your wonderful and very honest review on Bloomfield Lodge. It is sometimes hard to convey what is so different about a stay at Bloomfield and why it is unlike any other hotel. The easy bit to promote is the luxury boutique accommodation in a beautiful setting but the more difficult task is to convey the whole unique experience of Bloomfield, which I think you have managed to achieve in your review brilliantly. Lets hope that one day you will have the opportunity to come back to Bloomfield Lodge and do it all over again!

Sue Moscow
Bloomfield Lodge Marketing Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights in a Hideaway room in March.
The resort is in the middle of the Rainforest.
We saw the forest and saw a lot of rain but it was the wettest month to go.
This however did not detract from a lovely stay.
The welcome and service from every member of staff was first class.
The journey across from Cairns is an event in itself,from the plane ride to an airstrip in the middle of a field,then the 4WD to the jetty and finally the boat ride along the Bloomfield River.
You are then pulled out by tractor on to dry land.
A great experience.
The food is by way of a set menu but you can change things around if you let them know in advance eg if you don't like spicy food they will cook something else for you.
Dinner is at 7.30pm but canapés are served at 7pm.
The management utilise this time to talk to the guests about the following day's events and excursions.
The resort has a policy of communal dining but if you prefer a table for 2 then this will be arranged for you.
Try the 6 course private dining option in one of the two Gazebos for an extra $33,it is good value.
Stay here for 4 nights and you receive a courtesy Rainforest walk and a cruise Croc spotting down the Bloomfield River.
We did manage to see Crocodiles and were thrilled to be able to get close up pictures of them.
We also went to the Bloomfield Falls and went out on the day trip to a deserted Island and snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef (well part of it anyway!!).
On the way back the boat stopped in the middle of the sea and we did a spot of fishing.
I managed to bag a Spanish Mackerel which the chef prepared that evening for canapés.
The best Tempura fish and Sushimi with pickled ginger we had ever tasted.
I feel that I must mention by name all of the people that made our stay so enjoyable.
Craig and Cori the managers who ran everything so efficiently.These guys work so hard behind the scenes to ensure that your stay is a memorable one.Then there are the very knowledgeable guides. Tap in to their wealth of knowledge,they have a story to tell about all matters wildlife,flora and fauna. Jamie (rainforest walk) Mark (river cruise),Shane and our favourite guy Paul (Bloomfield falls and Barrier reef excursions).
Nicole for the wonderful spa treatments,Kimberley and Brooke our lovely waitresses and all of the housekeeping staff who kept our room spic and span.
We also met some lovely fellow guests,Frank & Candice,Roger & Caroline,Steve & Ruth,Rick & Beth. Hope you are all ok!!
If you are considering going here stop thinking about it and just go.
You will not regret it.
We will be sending our pictures to the lodge holding our fish catches to be placed on the photo gallery opposite the management office.
When you visit look out for us!!
Just one thing............The access to some of the rooms require you to walk up steep paths.
The higher the room number the further you have to walk.

Until the next visit.............

Garry & Wendy x

Room Tip: The Hideaway rooms are fantastic with your own Jacuzzi. You need it after the steep walk up from th...
5  Thank Garry999

Been to Bloomfield Lodge? Share your experiences!