Seven Gables Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$546
US$150
US$136
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$179
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria(Richmond Heights)
US$162
US$150
Moonrise Hotel(Saint Louis)
US$271
Travelocity
All reviewsno elevatorcontinental breakfastsmall hotelmolly darcychain hotelhistoric buildingfirst floorchocolate chip cookiesflat screendowntown claytoncomfortable bedlouis areast louisparkingvaletcheshiredesk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I were very excited to stay at a nice boutique hotel in the heart of Clayton, MO for a conference that she was attending down the street. Upon arrival, we found parking difficult, and it appeared the only option was to valet or pay for street parking. As all the parking in front of the hotel was taken, there was not even a place to drop off our things and register. We ended up circling the block and dropping our car in an alley adjacent to the hotel before dropping the keys off to the valet when he returned from parking another car.

The front desk was a single desk with one woman, Dominique, helping all arriving guests and answering the phone. We were third in line, so it took about 10 minutes or so with us holding our belongings before we could register. Dominique was very pleasant, used our last name when speaking to us and offered us cookies which was all very good.

When we got to our room, we were quite disappointed. The carpets were still wet from being cleaned earlier in the day, so much so we couldn't even take our shoes off, and there was a stain on one of the bed sheets, and another on one of the pillows. Good thing there are two beds and we are only going to need one tonight.

When we called down to the front desk about our concern regarding the carpet, Stacy came up with solution of a fan in the room. My wife responded asking if another room was available. She said she would look into it. A couple moments later, a man came up to our room and did not identify himself either at the door or once entering the room with a fan. He asked which way we wanted the fan pointed. I told him it didn't matter, it wasn't going to solve the problem, but it would add some noise to our room.

I called back down to the front desk and got Dominique this time. I asked her about the follow-up for changing rooms, since Stacy never got back to us. Dominique said nothing else was available and was apologetic. Her solution was to move us to another hotel. I told her that was more trouble than it would be worth. She apologized again, but offered no other solution, discount, free amenity, or anything else in an effort to try to make it right with their guest.

Needless to say, it has been a very disappointing stay so far. It's a shame the customer service is lacking because the hotel is quite charming. I'm glad we are only here one night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David K
GablesManager, General Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for posting your review.

We are disappointed we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Last week we did have our carpets cleaned and unfortunately they were not 100% dry when guests starting checking in and we were unable to relocate any guests due to the fact that we were sold out.

We did provide fans in the rooms to help the carpets dry quicker and we did offer to relocate any guest wanting to leave at our expense as well as discounted parking for everyone in the hotel for this particular night.

It is our goal to provide the best customer service and typically don't have many dissatisfied guests when it comes to customer service so we are sincerely apologetic that we were not able to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Although I live in St. Louis, I've used this property for two consecutive years for our corporate meeting. The staff is fabulous, easy to work with. The rooms are spacious, tasteful and charming with truly a boutique hotel feel. They go above and beyond! If you have business in the Clayton area- you do not need a car! Walking distance to every building in Clayton! For locals, great for a weekend getaway. I travel on a regular basis and this hotel feels like home. I love to visit the hotel and can't wait to reaturn. Stay here... you'll really be glad that you did. (Female travelers, you'll feel very comfortable at this hotel- it's just wonderful! )

Room Tip: No elevators- might suggest a room on the 1st or 2nd floors. No view from rooms for the most part, but you don't need it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank STLCarnivalGal

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

We are thrilled you continue to stay at the Seven Gables and fell like you are at your home away from home.

We truly take pride in our jobs and always try to go the extra step to ensure our guests feel welcome.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your continued business and loyalty.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our son's wedding reception was held here; we couldn't have asked for a better location. The Molly Darcy was a great venue for the rehearsal dinner, and the food choices were great and fit our tastes. The guests were impressed with the charming rooms, extremely comfortable beds, and attentive staff. The dining rooms lovely, and the courtyard made the perfect dance location. If you are looking for a reception venue for 100 or so people, this is the place. We couldn't have been happier!

Room Tip: Older visitors may want to select lower floors, as there is no elevator since it is a 3-floor hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GablesManager, General Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review.

We are thrilled we could be apart of such an important event in your lives!

The beauty of SGI is that we don't offer your typical ballrooms and hotel space, we are very unique with the spaces we have and the Courtyard is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you again when you are back in St. Louis.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you're coming to the seven Gables Inn in Clayton Missouri for peace and quiet do not. The hotel is very charming and is cleaner of the two properties own by the same owner here in St. Louis, the other being the Cheshire Inn. My wife and I got one of the largest weeks they have the Hawthorne suites which is exceptionally large and well furnish. We were looking forward to having a very peaceful weekend here in St. Louis and look forward to enjoying the room. That all changed after 8 o'clock when the band started playing downstairs in the bar. It played until around midnight we were on the third floor and it vibrated all the way up to our bed. We could hear someone through a speaker and I had both my hearing aids out that's how loud was. My wife could hear people talking on the street till two in the morning. About midnight I went downstairs to find out when all this was going to end the gentleman at the desk seem totally oblivious to what was going on and had really no answer other than he thought it was over. I spoke with three different people at the desk throughout Saturday until I finally spoke to the manager. As opposed to being sympathetic to the scenario she's been corrected me to tell me that buried at the very bottom of the their web page for the bar there's a line that states that the band plays Friday night from eight to close. Between the room the tax in the parking I spent over $510 for two lousy night sleep. As we are just found out that there is going to be a wedding in another band playing tonight. She offered to put us up in another hotel we did not feel like staying at the Cheshire Inn as it was not clean the last time we were there.

We had not been here in 10 years now I know why I will be staying back at the Chase Park Plaza as we always do

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichSGF

Thank you for your review and again I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay.

We do have live music on Friday nights and when you asked us to show you where this was located at your request we showed you the location on the website stating we do have live music.

Our goal at SGI to ensure all of our guests are happy and if not we go above and beyond to correct that. We would have been more than happy to relocate you to another property at our expense which was offered multiple times.

Again we apologize for the dissatisfied stay.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We used the Seven Gables Hotel for our Wedding Receipt Venue. The hotel is perfect. It is charming and beautiful and has all the rights spaces for creating the perfect atmosphere. Competitively, Seven Gables offers great customizable menus for your events that will be perfect for every budget. The hotel service staff was excellent. The night of our event, they were graciously prompt in making sure the needs of our event attendees were met. Looking back on our wedding reception, I would not have changed a thing. The rooms are also very charming and make you feel at home. Overall the hotel is an amazing place to host an event.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the review.

We are thrilled we could be apart of an very important event in your life and we are even more thrilled that you and your guests thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.