“Great Ambience and Oysters”
Review of De Mun Oyster Bar

De Mun Oyster Bar
Ranked #32 of 76 Restaurants in Clayton
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 6 August 2014

You walk in and automatically see a wall filled with antique looking mirrors. The windows open all the way up, making it feel like you are no longer in St. Louis but are transported down to New Orleans. The oysters were phenomenal!!! I would order them again in a heartbeat! I ordered the chicken and I must say it was the juiciest chicken I have ever had, served over a heavenly bed of grits. I also ordered their thyme cocktail which was amazing despite being in the tiniest glass I've ever seen. My one complaint was that the service was a bit slow, but a great dinner overall.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Just a short walk from work and I'm in one of my favorite dining areas. The DeMun Oyster is a large part of why I love the neighborhood. Though they don't seem to do much of a lunch business the food is always superb and the service top notch. Today was the oyster chowder with plenty of oysters and, maybe, a bit too many potatoes. The flavor was perfect. I coupled this with a half spinach salad with beats, bacon, blue cheese, cucumbers and small golden tomatoes.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Had this place on my 'to do' list for awhile, & I wasn't disappointed. Very chic but small seafood bistro on the corner of Demun & Rosebury, just west of Forest Park. Lively late Saturday aftn bar scene, but the service was nonetheless attentive, knowledgeable, & punctual. I wasn't over-hungry, but did want an immersion in my favorite bivalve. I had one each of the 5 offered Pacific oysters, each about $3, but well worth it w/ the saltiness deep ocean flavor of each piece. Also added a few cocktail shrimp to my raw course, which were large & delicious. Had the oyster stew for my final course. A generous portion served in a small china tureen was nicely balanced b/t the shellfish, bacon, vegetables, & cream. There were a few chalkboard fish specials also available. Not that this is something that would bring me back or keep me away if all else were unremarkable, but I did enjoy the pretty, eclectic china used to serve all courses. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My family and I found De Mun Oyster Bar on a reservation booking website and it was listed as a neighborhood gem. They fly their seafood in fresh daily and specialize in west coast oysters. The night we were there they were very understaffed and despite the fact that we had reservations, we still had to wait for a table. This place is tiny so that wasn't a surprise or a big deal. Once seated we did get water right away, but it was another 30 minutes before we ever got to see a menu. We seriously considered leaving. The food once we got it was great. It was nice to get to try a variety of oysters and their chef did a great job with the entrees. I ordered the cioppino which is a seafood stew. It was tasty, but when it was brought out the server did not bring a spoon. I finally got a spoon and asked for some bread to go with my meal. By the time I got some bread I was nearly finished. If you are not in a hurry are are out near the zoo, give them a try.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Oyster chowder was best ever had, including east coast restaurants, Waiter was friendly and jovial. That is the end of the good news. The manager who greeted us at the door was rude; asked if we had reservations; laughable moment since there were two tables of 6 and 4 respectively dining. All other tables were empty. Our party of two was told we could sit at the bar and order from the full menu. When we left one hour later, one of the three tables for two were seated. Where were the guests who were going to enjoy the comfortable chairs and dinner table? We left with poor first impression and aching backs.