“If you could call it service, it was horrible...”
Review of Tani Sushi Bistro

Tani Sushi Bistro
Ranked #20 of 68 Restaurants in Clayton
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Description: Welcome to Tani Sushi Bistro – offering traditional and fusion-style sushi, stunning signature rolls, as well as classic Japanese cuisine. The highest quality ingredients are complemented by stunning Japanese décor, created as original art from Asian artists. To that, we add superlative service, always deferential to your tastes and desires.
St. Louis, MO
“If you could call it service, it was horrible...”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Let me start out by saying that this is not a review of my first few times at Tani, but of what I just experienced. A colleague and I went to Tani for lunch. There were just two of us but we were informed there were no open tables. We chose to sit at a high-top table in the bar area. Within minutes the busboy came over and gave us water and thank God he did. We waited another 10 minutes before we got up to let the him know that no one had been to our table yet. He said he was going to find our server. No one came to our table so I got up again and asked the hostess to get our server. The hostess informed us that our server was really busy and apologized stating that she would take our order.

Once we placed our order it took a considerable amount of time before our salads arrived. I had to ask if we were getting salads or if someone forgot about them. The food was great. It always is. We couldn't really enjoy it though because we only had 15 minutes to eat and get back to the office after 45 wasted minutes. As a former server I generally leave very good tips but not on this occasion. Our actual server received no tip. I did give the hostess a cash tip since she was pretty much our server.

There is no reason the service at this generally excellent restaurant should have been this bad. I would have rated the place as terrible if it weren't for the fact that they have amazing food.

• Visited August 2013

Toronto, Canada
“A long way from the ocean, but quite good”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Eating sushi so far from the coast is always a bit risky. But Tani does a nice job of serving reasonably fresh, traditional sushi along with a broad selection of more creative sushi rolls. I'd particularly recommend the "Oh My God" roll - brought flaming to your table and very tasty. Service was pleasant and prompt and there's good selection of beers and sakes.

Having eaten sushi in Japan, I can honestly say that this place is not in that league. But few places outside of Asia really are - perhaps a few in NYC, LA, Seattle and San Francisco. But if you need a sushi fix in the midwest, Tani is a solid choice.

• Visited June 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Delicious food and Impeccable service”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Tani last night and it was delicious. We decided on Tani on a whim, as neither of us had been there before. We were very happy with the choice. We did not have a reservation and the restaurant was very busy, so the hostess asked if we minded being seated on the lounge side. It was very nice of them to accommodate us. The lounge side was perfect - clean, modern and bright. Our server, Danielle, greeted us happily and provided excellent service during our meal. She checked on us often, but we never felt bothered or like she was hovering over us. We ordered the Oh My God roll, the Sex and the City roll and a couple of appetizers. Everything was plated beautifully and tasted excellent. We also ordered a few drinks from the bar and they were yummy. No watered down drinks here! Very generous pours. We had a great experience and I cannot wait to go back.

• Visited June 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Depends where you've eaten sushi”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Let's be clear- the place is clean, service is VERY customer oriented and it is jumping- so success should not be undervalued...I just happen to like a more 'classic' sushi.

Eating here reminded me of eating brownies or donuts in Europe....I kept thinking to myself 'this stuff is made for people who have never been to Japan or have ever heard of Jiro Dreams of Sushi"....it's made for the American palate. Big screens above the sushi team at the bar with lots of sports. The bar is constructed in such a way as to obstruct patrons view of the sushi teams hands and the core ingredients being used- so they can make the stuff faster and perhaps without people like me seeing what is really happening.

Big rolls, with sauces, flames flying all over the place and guests busy making an unruly mess mixing the wasabe and soy sauce into a slop....it's fine...just not very authentic. It's the same with almost every cuisine- if you want to sell it abroad, you need to adapt it to local preferences.

Would I go back? Probably as it is lighter fare and I did enjoy my nigiri and I really appreciated the pleasant service...but we just need to be clear...this is completely Americanized sushi....Jiro would probably have a coronary.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank LeDude13
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The sex roll is the best”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We have dined here several times and we always have what I call the sex roll. One time when I called in an order to go I asked for the "better than sex roll" and after a pause the person on the phone said "do you mean the sex in the city roll?" Ever since then we have just referred to it as the sex roll. Either way....it is so good. If you don't have a reservation, it is fun to sit at the bar. Great service.

• Visited September 2012