“The Perfect Burger”

5 Star Burgers
Ranked #7 of 71 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 17 August 2014

A friend & I ate here last Friday. The place was packed at 6:45 PM, but they got us a seat at the bar. This worked out well as it was close to the TV so my friend could watch the Cardinals game. I ordered the Five Star salad to start and the "Magic Mushroom" burger with fries for dinner. Our waitress was pleasant and efficient; our food arrived within a reasonable amount of time. And boy, was it good. The salad was tasty, with feta, raisins, fresh green lettuce and nuts. But the best part, of course, was the burger. Every element that went into this thing was just outstanding. The bun - perfectly, lightly toasted, not too heavy and not too light, and slightly buttery. The mushrooms were full of flavor and plentiful. The cheese was delicious, not too oily, and smothered the meat, perfectly. The meat had a high quality taste - it was done to perfection - and juicy like a burger should be. The regular accompaniments - the lettuce, tomato, pickles were all crisp & fresh as well. The fries were equally delicious and done just right: crispy on the outside, tender inside, and not at all overly greasy. If I had one quibble, it was that I could've used a few more of them, as the neat little baskets they were served in were, well, a bit little. In an era of portion control, this practice is understandable, but almost too little of such a good thing. One other little quibble, and it's a small one, is that although our waitress was quick and efficient when she needed to be, it did take quite some time for us to get the bill, and then somewhat of a long wait to get our change back. But still, all in all, I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, and we look forward to coming back.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our office ordered take-out from 5 Star Burgers today. The menu seemed like it included enough options, with plenty of possibilities for the vegetarians in the group. Beyond burgers there were soups, salads, and standard sides on the menu.

Based upon the 5 Star website, I chose the 5 Star Burger expecting this to be the standard burger with the onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and pickles on the side. Only after our complete order had been placed over the phone did I see on the printed menu faxed over to us that description for the 5 Star Burger on that menu included gorgonzola cheese and Applewood smoked bacon. It seemed best to just "let it ride" and see what actually came back in the order...

Sadly my 5 Star Burger did have the gorgonzola cheese and the bacon. The burger was well cooked and the flavor (sans the cheese) was really good. It was also a nice burger for the price. Still, the burger description should be consistent everywhere!

Also they forgot to send condiments back to the office with the person who picked everything up (though they did remedy this by calling us and having someone drive the condiments over to our office, which was very nice!).

I am not giving up on the idea of going back to 5 Star Burgers, but perhaps I will dine in where the burger will be what I ordered or I will send it back!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Love me some hamburger done right. This place does that right and so much more. Service was great. Drinks were great. Can't imagine a better combo than caramel ice cream and whiskey in a shake.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I went to this restaurant with a friend that had seen it written up in a local magazine as a great place to eat. The only thing that impressed me was the water was served from a wine shaped bottle. The burgers were ok. We didn't taste anything special about them. The fries were a little on the limp side. Our shakes were thin and not worth the price. The total bill was $37.00 for 2 burgers, 1 small basket of fries, a mixed russet and sweet potato fry basket along with 2 shakes. I wouldn't make a special trip to go back.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was here with my daughter and granddaughter for a Father's Day lunch. It was delightful. We started with soup, house tomato and soup d jour corn chowder mine was very good and a spoonful of my daughter's was too. Deep fried cheese curds was my granddaughters. The choice of specialty burgers was almost daunting. They are plenty big we did our own tasting menu by having the burgers halved 1 with pepper,the other with deep fried onions. One of the halves found it's way into a take home container. They also have a. Right sized kiddie menu. I look forward to my next visit.