“amazing food in clayton!”
Review of The Libertine

The Libertine
Ranked #44 of 75 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was in town picking up my daughter from school. She suggested Libertine as she had been once and really liked it. We had an amazing meal. Food was different and delicious. We live right outside NYC so we are used to really good food and this was no different than any great NYC restaurant....highly recommend!

1  Thank jennifer1NY

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Quiet Saturday night date with my wife. Dined outside, as the night was perfect. Wife started with cocktail (feared and loathing) and was quite happy with it. Pork belly croutons(?), which were good, and fried/roasted chickpeas were pleasant to munch on as we chatted and waited for out entrees. Tuna entree was pan seared, well seasoned and medium rare, BRAVO! Three little birds, chicken, and quail was perfectly prepared and tasty. Had a side of Brussels sprouts, seasoned well, charred nicely,but a touch under cooked for my preference (next time I will ask for them to be softened a bit more). Dessert was custard bread pudding with doughnut ice cream.

Service was great. Valet was friendly and efficient, hostess station had two ladies staffing it, so the station was never empty. Server was friendly, attentive, engaged, but not intrusive. Bussing and support staff constantly cleared out dirty dishes, replaced silverware and topped off water glasses.

I enjoyed the food and would recommend it to others. Be aware this is craftsman food and the portions may be smaller than some people would like. They are not tiny, but the entrees are sized to be finished without leftover.

1  Thank djseyer
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Read a wonderful review and endorsement of Libertine Restaurant in St. Louis magazine so we tried it. It was terrible. The food was not good and the service just as bad. We were there on a Sunday, the 16th and were given the Valentine's Day menu. Guess we were helping them finish off the left-overs. Few main course selections, one of which was pork steaks. Everybody has pork steaks for Valentine's Day, right? The main soup was she-crab soup, which is of course not in season. There was no rhyme or reason to the ala carte selections, flavors just all over the place. I felt strongly enough about this to write my first review. I don't want others to be fooled into believing the review or in wasting their hard earned money for a very poor experience.

3  Thank Sharon R
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were there for a Sunday-night supper special -- Fried Chicken. On arrival we were disappointed to find that the wine list, while excellent, didn't have a Cava -- which we thought would be excellent with dinner. We made do with an Alsace bubbly that was just fine. Our first course, turtle soup, arrived before our wine or water. It was excellent. The fried chicken was just good -- not great -- the crust hard and not really stuck to the chicken. The greens and mashed potatoes were fine. The disappointment of the night was the black-bottom pie. While the filling was wonderful, the crust was a quarter-inch thick and hard as a rock. Seriously, you should not need a knife to chip through the crust.

This restaurant has received a lot of hype. They promote themselves heavily on social media. In two visits we can say that the menu is innovative, the service great, the wine list interesting, but the execution not quite up to everything else.

It is also noisy.

1  Thank TaosFoodie
Reviewed 17 February 2014

To be honest, there is not enough space for all the great things to say about our visit. From the service, to the food, to the atmosphere the evening was incredible. We toured the menu from She-crab soup, to sunflower fried rice, pan fried fish special (changes all the time), incredible bread (butter is churned in house) and then the desserts ... if I had to find 1 thing to complain about, is that I could not try everything on the menu. My wife was also extremely please, she wasn't sure of a cocktail so our waiter just had the bartender create something based on her wishes, and just like everything else ,, it was perfect.

3  Thank TheGilster_13