“Good location GREAT service”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Proximity for business appointments brought me. Staff will bring me back. Fairly standard Sheraton that could use deeper spruce ups in rooms. (Ask for room with a view). Third visit here - club level is good. Bell staff, Tim in particular, are kind and anticipate need without being overbearing. Front desk staff went the extra mile
In check in, check out, and local arrangements.

Nothing special on menu for restaurant - breakfast is adequate - about what one would expect for large chain. Airport shuttle service very good and timely. Service sets this hotel apart when doing business in this area.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank westslope
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

We were delighted to learn you enjoyed the services provided by our Associates and especially those provided at the front desk and by Tim. We are very proud of each of our Associates. They are what make the Sheraton Clayton a very special place to visit.

We made note of your comments about the condition of the room and the food and beverage services and we will focus on necessary improvements.

Thank you again for the kind remarks. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is a wonderful hotel for the price. We stayed for $89 a night and you can't beat that! The hotel is what you'd expect for the price...not the newest or nicest...but perfectly acceptable...no concerns there.

Only two complaints...check-in was very slow. I was getting frustrated because there were all these employees buzzing around and greeting me...but none of them could apparently help me and there was just one person behind the check-in desk (Rhonda). Once I got to the front of the line though, Rhonda could not have been more helpful or fantastic. She was wonderful and made up for the wait.

Second complaint...the staff at Alexander's Restaurant...where we had breakfast both days was terrible...and almost more concerning...weird. They were not helpful, did not check on us and just acted odd.

One upside...there was a hotel shuttle that ran mostly to and from the airport. But, the driver was available one night when we were ready to go out and she took us to our dinner spot. That was wonderful! She was not available the next night and we had to cab it. But, we appreciated her service the night before nonetheless.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hoosier0511
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for the 4-star rating you gave your experience with us. We appreciate you noticing Rhonda’s efforts. We apologize for your initial Front Desk and the Restaurant experiences. I can assure you we will work hard to earn that 5th star when you visit us again.

Thank you for staying with us. We truly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Sheraton Clayton Plaza is a nice (but not fabulous) hotel in the financial district in downtown St. Louis. As an SPG Lifetime Platinum member, I was given what I was told was an upgraded room on the club floor (14th floor).

The room was, indeed, on the 14th floor, with a king bed. It's a little hard to imagine how this could be an "upgraded" room, however, since it was incredibly small. There was very little surface area to put things like my toiletries bag or anything else I brought with me, and the luggage rack could only be placed next to the bed so close that I was worried I would stub my toes on it in the middle of the night.

That said, the staff at this hotel were very nice, which is a real plus. The internet was so-so -- on Sunday night when I must have been one of the only people here it was blazingly fast, but on Monday night I had to resort to my cell phone WiFi hot spot to avoid waiting much too long for even basic web pages to load.

The bed is a standard Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and, as such, was very comfortable. The desk, while small, was also comfortable as was the desk chair. It would have been nice to have a multimedia connection "strip" or outlet on the desk itself but there was an outlet on the wall nearby which was adequate for powering my laptop and did not require me to crawl under the desk.

An outlet near the bed would have been helpful -- I like to listen to my iPhone at night and had nowhere to plug that in that was reachable from the bed.

Be aware that this hotel is in the financial district and, therefore, is not close to things like convenience stores, drugstores, etc. If you need to purchase anything that is not available in the very small sundry store near the front desk you'll want to do that before you get to the hotel.

Parking is pricey -- $14/night for self-parking.

The room service food at lunch & dinner was very good, although the breakfast buffet & menu were not wonderful.

All in all, this is a nice but not fabulous hotel -- certainly adequate for a short stay, but not sure I would stay here for much longer than a couple of nights, mostly due to the size of the room (including the small bathroom) and the lack of nearby stores.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank WahineOnTheRoad
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide many details regarding your recent experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

I was disappointed to see the comment about the Wi-Fi signal being weak. We just upgraded the system to 50 MB. We will be reaching out to the vendor to trouble shoot that area of the hotel.

It is always rewarding to hear how all our guests enjoy the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding.

With respect to our location, we do have a complimentary shuttle service that will take guest to any convenience store or other destination within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

Thank you for being a Platinum SPG member. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was my first time staying at this hotel but my second time there for a conference. Like before, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Everyone acknowledged you with a friendly "hello" or "how are you today?"

We were there for a military Yellow Ribbon event and in the lobby there is a large table with fresh flower arrangements. All the flowers were done in yellow. I know it's a small thing, but I really thought it was a nice gesture from the hotel. Very thoughtful.

The parking situation can be a little confusing for first time guests, and coming out of the garage is very confusing. I would say this is my only real complaint.

The rooms were clean, nice, and comfortable.

I had an old neck injury flare up while I was there and on Saturday I asked the front desk if they knew of any chiropractors in the area. I just expected them to give me some numbers for me to call around myself, but they didn’t. The gentleman at the front desk actually called around to nearby offices to see about getting me in. Unfortunately, they were already closed by the time we called. However, I did appreciate the extra effort by the staff to try to accommodate my needs.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

It was an honor to host the Yellow Ribbon event.

Thank you for your kind remarks, especially those recognizing the friendly and helpful services provided by our Associates.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a concert. It was easy to find and we easily found a parking space in the parking garage. We paid for parking and they offered in room internet for one dollar more. The hotel is average, some parts look dated but the furniture was more modern looking. The rooms are small but quiet. You can sit on the toliet and see the tv. We found a used coffee lid beside the coffee pot. Yuck. We had the breakfast buffet. It is not worth the money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for your posting. We were delighted to see you enjoyed your quiet visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. Our location is ideal for attending concerts, enjoying all the dining options in Clayton or St. Louis and for shopping at Galleria Shopping Mall. I was disappointed to hear we missed some details in our housekeeping and food and beverage operations.

You do us a great service by taking the time out of your busy schedule to write. It is through concerned guests, such as yourself, that we gain insight into areas of our business that require attention or areas that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

I have shared your thoughts with the Food and Beverage and Housekeeping teams and they asked I extend their apologies to you. They are all focused on providing a much better dining and housekeeping experience than what you encountered.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My sister and I stayed here on a trip to St. Louis last spring. It was very clean and comfortable. We really took advantage of the bar and the bartender was amazing. I wish I remembered his name because he was just fantastic. It was within walking distance of some really amazing restaurants. It was also easy for us to get around town. Going back in March and I will be staying at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thank you for the 4 star rating you gave your experience with us. We especially appreciate you mentioning the friendly services you received. We believe that the gracious hospitality extended by each of our associates is what separates us from our competition in the greater St. Louis area.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel when we were visiting STL earlier this year. This hotel is right off the expressway, just a 6 mile drive to the downtown area. This Sheraton is a beautiful hotel, very plush. Hubby and I enjoyed the comfy beds, so we slept in real late each day which was a treat. This had to be one of the cleanest Sheratons that I have ever stayed at, and the employees really go above and beyond to guarantee you the best possible stay for your money. Speaking of money, I won this hotel on Priceline and it was a total steal for the price I paid (58% off of the standard rate.)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick and Diana T

Thank you for the perfect 5 star rating you gave your experience with us. We appreciate you pointing out the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding and our great location.

We truly look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
The Cheshire
#46 of 124 in Saint Louis
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!