“Great location, high quality throughout, extremely small room”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Great location, high quality throughout, extremely small room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location downtown close to almost everything. The hotel is well appointed and has a very courteous staff. It has Premium linens added a nicely decorated room as well. The shower water pressure was good also. The only drawback I experienced was the extreme tight quarters. I was travelling with two other associates that stayed in other rooms on the 7th floor and all of us found them to be extremely cramped. The shower would just be described as tiny. Not sure if I would stay here again and certainly would not stay here if I was traveling with my wife . I give it a three star rating however because everything else was perfect and it maybe they have some larger rooms. I would definitely check on this directly with the hotel before booking. If the room was larger this hotel would have gotten 5 stars from me.

I hope this helps.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

We were delighted to learn you enjoyed the services provided by our Associates and also our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding. We often receive many kind remarks regarding both our Associates and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding.

I was sorry to read we disappointed you with the size of our rooms. In addition to the queen bedded room type you selected, we also offer very spacious king and double queen bedded rooms for a modest additional charge.

Thank you again for your comments. We do look forward to serving you in the near future.

Ron Juneman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

we spent the night at Sheraton while visiting the grandkids. we brought two of them back to the hotel to spend the night with us. i have always liked the pool at this sheraton, although this time it seemed to need a good scrubbing. I am usually happy with the beds-very comfy. we slept very well. i was disappointed with the quality of room service food, although, to be fair, they had a wedding in the hotel that night. the clerk on Sunday morning was not helpful when we inquired about church services nearby. she didn't know and actually turned her back to my husband, who hoped she might look up a church time for him. we couldn't find TV movies for the kids. we paid top dollar but there weren't any extras such as free parking, free internet or free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was disappointed to learn we failed to meet or exceed your expectations with respect to your experiences with room service, the Front Desk, and the swimming pool.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding.

It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. Let me simply say that all of us here at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing.

I would very much enjoy the opportunity to address your concerns directly if you would not mind reaching out to me and providing some contact information. Otherwise, I can be reached in my office directly at 314.678.2320 or my email address is ron.juneman@sheratonclayton.com.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed one night at the Sheraton in Clayton MO using Starwood points. I had stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago for one night (using points as well) and was impressed with the updated room, cleanliness, and general design of the hotel. I think during this stay that we got the worst room in the hotel. We were put on the SPG floor (Floor 16) and this room was NOT updated that way the other one was, and was just awkward. There was a makeup area in the bathroom with no mirror above it, stains on the carpet, no closet- but a hanging bar in the middle of bedroom area, and by far the worst shower pressure I have ever had a in a hotel. It was like it was an overflow room and not really part of the hotel. I hate to complain since we stayed for free but it was really beneath a Sheraton- particularly one that on other floors is completely different. In addition to that, the front desk staff complained through check in and a room service waiter complained about their job to us while in the elevator. To be fair, it was a busy weekend for them and we were not paying customers- but it was by far the worst Starwood property I have ever stayed in during this visit. I would expect that the SPG floor would be a bit more updated than this for their frequent guests. I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated floor- do not stay on Floor 16!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela S
I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

We also appreciate you providing such a detailed account of your experience. I am very sorry that it was necessary for you to do so. I do hope you will accept my apologies for your disappointments.

As you know, your SPG experience merits much more than this response. I invite you to provide me your contact information so that I can personally address your concerns. I can be reached directly at 314.678.2320 or my email address is ron.juneman@sheratonclayton.com

We sincerely hope that you will take advantage of our offer and allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Ron Juneman

Travellers are raving about these Clayton hotels

Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Proximity for business appointments brought me. Staff will bring me back. Fairly standard Sheraton that could use deeper spruce ups in rooms. (Ask for room with a view). Third visit here - club level is good. Bell staff, Tim in particular, are kind and anticipate need without being overbearing. Front desk staff went the extra mile
In check in, check out, and local arrangements.

Nothing special on menu for restaurant - breakfast is adequate - about what one would expect for large chain. Airport shuttle service very good and timely. Service sets this hotel apart when doing business in this area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank westslope
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

We were delighted to learn you enjoyed the services provided by our Associates and especially those provided at the front desk and by Tim. We are very proud of each of our Associates. They are what make the Sheraton Clayton a very special place to visit.

We made note of your comments about the condition of the room and the food and beverage services and we will focus on necessary improvements.

Thank you again for the kind remarks. We look forward to your next visit.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is a wonderful hotel for the price. We stayed for $89 a night and you can't beat that! The hotel is what you'd expect for the price...not the newest or nicest...but perfectly acceptable...no concerns there.

Only two complaints...check-in was very slow. I was getting frustrated because there were all these employees buzzing around and greeting me...but none of them could apparently help me and there was just one person behind the check-in desk (Rhonda). Once I got to the front of the line though, Rhonda could not have been more helpful or fantastic. She was wonderful and made up for the wait.

Second complaint...the staff at Alexander's Restaurant...where we had breakfast both days was terrible...and almost more concerning...weird. They were not helpful, did not check on us and just acted odd.

One upside...there was a hotel shuttle that ran mostly to and from the airport. But, the driver was available one night when we were ready to go out and she took us to our dinner spot. That was wonderful! She was not available the next night and we had to cab it. But, we appreciated her service the night before nonetheless.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hoosier0511
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for the 4-star rating you gave your experience with us. We appreciate you noticing Rhonda’s efforts. We apologize for your initial Front Desk and the Restaurant experiences. I can assure you we will work hard to earn that 5th star when you visit us again.

Thank you for staying with us. We truly look forward to your next visit.

Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Sheraton Clayton Plaza is a nice (but not fabulous) hotel in the financial district in downtown St. Louis. As an SPG Lifetime Platinum member, I was given what I was told was an upgraded room on the club floor (14th floor).

The room was, indeed, on the 14th floor, with a king bed. It's a little hard to imagine how this could be an "upgraded" room, however, since it was incredibly small. There was very little surface area to put things like my toiletries bag or anything else I brought with me, and the luggage rack could only be placed next to the bed so close that I was worried I would stub my toes on it in the middle of the night.

That said, the staff at this hotel were very nice, which is a real plus. The internet was so-so -- on Sunday night when I must have been one of the only people here it was blazingly fast, but on Monday night I had to resort to my cell phone WiFi hot spot to avoid waiting much too long for even basic web pages to load.

The bed is a standard Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and, as such, was very comfortable. The desk, while small, was also comfortable as was the desk chair. It would have been nice to have a multimedia connection "strip" or outlet on the desk itself but there was an outlet on the wall nearby which was adequate for powering my laptop and did not require me to crawl under the desk.

An outlet near the bed would have been helpful -- I like to listen to my iPhone at night and had nowhere to plug that in that was reachable from the bed.

Be aware that this hotel is in the financial district and, therefore, is not close to things like convenience stores, drugstores, etc. If you need to purchase anything that is not available in the very small sundry store near the front desk you'll want to do that before you get to the hotel.

Parking is pricey -- $14/night for self-parking.

The room service food at lunch & dinner was very good, although the breakfast buffet & menu were not wonderful.

All in all, this is a nice but not fabulous hotel -- certainly adequate for a short stay, but not sure I would stay here for much longer than a couple of nights, mostly due to the size of the room (including the small bathroom) and the lack of nearby stores.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WahineOnTheRoad
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide many details regarding your recent experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

I was disappointed to see the comment about the Wi-Fi signal being weak. We just upgraded the system to 50 MB. We will be reaching out to the vendor to trouble shoot that area of the hotel.

It is always rewarding to hear how all our guests enjoy the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding.

With respect to our location, we do have a complimentary shuttle service that will take guest to any convenience store or other destination within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

Thank you for being a Platinum SPG member. We look forward to your next visit.
jefferson city, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was my first time staying at this hotel but my second time there for a conference. Like before, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Everyone acknowledged you with a friendly "hello" or "how are you today?"

We were there for a military Yellow Ribbon event and in the lobby there is a large table with fresh flower arrangements. All the flowers were done in yellow. I know it's a small thing, but I really thought it was a nice gesture from the hotel. Very thoughtful.

The parking situation can be a little confusing for first time guests, and coming out of the garage is very confusing. I would say this is my only real complaint.

The rooms were clean, nice, and comfortable.

I had an old neck injury flare up while I was there and on Saturday I asked the front desk if they knew of any chiropractors in the area. I just expected them to give me some numbers for me to call around myself, but they didn’t. The gentleman at the front desk actually called around to nearby offices to see about getting me in. Unfortunately, they were already closed by the time we called. However, I did appreciate the extra effort by the staff to try to accommodate my needs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
It was an honor to host the Yellow Ribbon event.

Thank you for your kind remarks, especially those recognizing the friendly and helpful services provided by our Associates.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
Seven Gables Inn
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
The Cheshire
#38 of 121 in Saint Louis

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!