“Good place to crash for the night”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Mount Vernon, Illinois
“Good place to crash for the night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The room we got was not very fancy. However for $78/night via priceline.com I could not expect anything more. The room is equipped with all the basic necessities that one requires for a one night stay.
- Clean room
- Clean beds
- Clean toiletaries

What was missing probably was a simple complimentary breakfast. But that I will leave it for another day.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff they will help. I got a single queen bed. They upgraded it to two queen beds.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for the 4-Star rating and the kind remarks you made about the Sheraton Clayton Plaza hotel services and facilities. We were especially delighted when you said “The best part was the Starbucks coffee in the morning. In addition the staff on duty was very courteous and helpful and that brightened up the day.”

We take great pride in our Associates who are very well known from being some of the friendliest in the St. Louis hotel community.

We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Jewell, IA USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was on 6th floor and had a very nice room. Didn't hear any hall noise. I was there for a conference and was very happy with the meeting room. I am a Sheraton/ Starwood? Member so my internet was free.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for the 5-Star rating and the kind remarks you made about the Sheraton Clayton Plaza hotel services and facilities.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for a week-long conference. Room was okay sized. Wish free Wi-fi came with the room, but it does not. You have to pay extra. Loved the green choice for housekeeping. You can put a sign on your door that says you don't want housekeeping services, in return you get a $5 voucher ( per day) to use at the restaurant, etc. Just keep in mind they won't come in at all then and your trash won't be emptied either. It worked for me and who gets fresh towels at home every day anyhow? Pool area was nice too, only got to use it once but had the whole pool to myself! Well worth it! They do offer fresh towels at the pool side and shower gel and lotions if you need them. Overall nice stay during business trip.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for the 4-Star Rating you provided us after your recent visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

We appreciate you pointing out some of the special features and services of our hotel. We also appreciate you mentioning our remarkable location.

We will work hard to earn that 5th star when you visit us again.

Thanks again. We sincerely look forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Our room was very nicely decorated and met our needs. However the room was small specifically the closet and bathroom. We could barely close the closet door and had to push in hangers and luggage for door to close. Your knees just about touch the door when sitting on the toilet bowl. Our room was on the 6th floor and our view was in the covered noisy indoor pool. I recommend that you request another floor as the noise from the pool echoes inside the entire pool area due to covered roof.

The area outside the hotel has limited dining areas and most close early in the evening. There is a small store "World News" a few blocks away where you can pick up some toiletries, snacks, and drinks. In the same area, there's a Starbucks and Jennifer's Pharmacy with an old school dinner inside that serves excellent hot and cold sandwiches and shakes for lunch. I highly recommend having lunch here. The ladies are really nice and friendly.

By the way, the metrolink train is two blocks away from hotel so that's a plus. The hotel also provides free airport shuttle. Just give hotel a call to setup ride.

Overall, may or may not stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel after your recent visit.

We appreciate you pointing out how the MetroLink train is just two blocks away from hotel and that we offer convenient and free shuttle services to and from the airport.

With respect to the size of your room, it sounds as though you may have reserved one of our cozy queen-bedded rooms that we offer as a special value. We do have larger king or double queen bedded rooms available for a small additional fee.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Yuck. I stayed here three nights while visiting St. Louis for an event at Washington U. in St. Louis.

The hotel needs a major renovation. The pictures attached to my review are representative of the hotel's condition: the headboard above the bed was cracked and faded. Floorboards in the hallway had peeling paint. The shower floor had stains on it; mildew stains lined the shower, too. The entire hotel simply looked old and worn-down. It was evident that a few cosmetic revisions (light fixtures, etc.) had been done over the years, but it's time to basically gut the building and start over. Far below the standards that I expect of a Sheraton, particularly after the brand has made so much noise over the past couple of years about the money spent on updating their properties.

My room (a queen room) was TINY -- I've had bigger hotel rooms in New York. Bathroom was super-crammed--a pedestal sink next to a toilet. There were glass shelves above the toilet that could hold toiletries, but they were useless because they were falling out of the wall, which made everything drop into the toilet. Cramped, unpleasant, and poorly designed. If you're going to have small rooms, furnish them logically--this room had too much furniture that was too big.

Lobby was relatively uninviting, with dark bar crammed into the back. The service elevator is featured prominently, in a public area. Not only was that odd--it was annoying, because you got to watch the service elevator be unused as there were long waits (7 min. plus at some points) for the guest elevators.

Also annoying: room keys. My room key stopped working 3 times during my stay, requiring visits to the front desk. This also happened to friends of mine staying in the hotel.

The parking garage is awful. If you park on the top floor (near the entrance), to exit, you have to drive down two levels and around some corners. On the way back up the hill behind the garage you pass an exit on the top floor that is not available for guest use (why not? Would it really be that difficult to put a guest card key reader on that gate?). The lower floors of the parking garage are dark and unpleasant.

Hotel's location is fine--Clayton is a business district that is very quiet on weekends, but it's relatively central within St. Louis.

Service was polite and welcoming--about the only thing going for this tired property. Ugh.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the Associates of the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. Our Associates are known for being some of the friendliest in St. Louis.

We were disappointed to hear your concerns regarding some of our facilities. I can assure you we have studied your comments and have taken appropriate action to address each of your concerns.

I am confident that when you visit us again you will see have made a marked improvement in each of the areas you highlighted.

Travellers are raving about these Clayton hotels

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's fine. We (husband, 18-yr old son, me) were here for a 3-day weekend to visit Wash U and check out a Cardinals game. The room was clean, the staff are very friendly. But it needs a facelift -- carpets are worn, fixtures outdated -- and $15/day for room wifi is ridiculous. A real pain to have to go and sit in the lobby everytime you want to check an address or confirm a reservation.
Further, it's not like there's a ton to do in the immediate neighborhood--downtown Clayton is a bit, umm, limited with respect to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife (and maybe daylife). The Delmar Loop is where the action is. I do recommend the walk from the hotel down Wydown Blvd., though, it has a bike lane and (for much of it) a running path down the middle, and gorgeous homes stretching down both sides of the street. Really impressive. Oh, and a wonderful Botero sculpture where Wydown meets up with S. Hanley Rd.
But back to the hotel--I think we'd try to stay somewhere else if and when we are ever in the area again. Not sure what the options are, though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. We believe the difference between our hotel and others in St. Louis is the friendliness of our Associates. We work hard to provide each guest a personalized and warm welcome. Our housekeeping team also works hard to provide an enjoyable environment.

Our Clayton address comes with world-class shopping just a short distance away at the Saint Louis Galleria Mall which is known for having some of the best shopping, dining and entertainment in St. Louis. I am disappointed one of our Associates did not bring that facility to your attention. We are also a very short distance to the Metro-Link light rail system that quickly and conveniently takes customers from Clayton to the downtown venues.

I agree with you about Wydown being a beautiful street leading to nearby Washington University, Forest Park and so much more.

We hope you will take advantage of all we have to offer when you next visit St. Louis and the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Clayton plaza for 3 nights. Prior to arriving I had some lingering concerns about the room quality after reading the decidedly mixed reviews on TA. My expectations were for a very small king room with small bathroom and some wear and noise issues. I availed myself of the free hotel provided airport shuttle with a friendly driver and without incident. Upon arrival I found the lobby area to be well maintained, multi-level and comfortable. Given that I arrived very early I did not expect a room would be ready, and in fact it wasn't. I was asked to wait about 90 minutes, but again it was only 10am at that point. I made use of the free lobby Wi-Fi at that time...worked fine. At second check-in attempt as the representative was selecting my room I did mention my concerns based upon the TA reviews. I emphasized that a small room was ok, but I needed a quiet room that was well maintained. It turns out I was provided a room on the 16th floor (of 17) facing the Gateway Arch which was a Starwood Preferred Guest floor. She specifically tried to keep me away from the elevators and vending. While this room was marginally smaller than the average hotel room, it was bigger than I had expected (see below), and quite comfortable and clean (except under the bed). I could hear my neighboring guests but fortunately they weren't terribly 'wild' ones. The in-room Wi-Fi, free with my package, was very reliable and fast. The bathroom, while a tad cramped, was nice and adequately maintained. There was a shower, no tub. Hotel provided in room coffee and two 16 oz. Dasani bottled waters daily. Bed was much more comfortable than most hotels, although I tend to be bed picky.

All of the employees that I interacted with we're friendly and helpful. The hotel shuttle will take you locally within 5 miles if available.

Now the 'but'. A friend of mine was also staying at the hotel. His room was on a Standard floor and faced the park on the 10th fl. His room had either a double or queen bed, and it was markedly smaller than mine. It even lacked the seat and ottoman that mine had. His bathroom was very small.

The gym was just adequate...3 treadmills (1 of which was broken), 3 ellipticals (1 of which was broken) and some free weights and a multi-purpose weight machine. The pool was a very long lap pool, but I didn't go in.

So in summary, I believe I got particularly lucky with regard to room assignment, possibly as a result of expressing my review based expectations and concerns, but the final result was a room and experience that exceeded expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your thorough and well thought-out review of our hotel. We especially appreciate your focus on the responsiveness and kindness of our Associates.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. It is quite popular at all Sheraton Hotels.

You will be pleased to know we are in the process of replacing some of the exercise equipment.

Thanks again for the detailed review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
Seven Gables Inn
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
The Cheshire
#37 of 121 in Saint Louis

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!