“Excellent Restaurant; Outstanding Food; A Must Try.”
Review of Oceano Bistro

Oceano Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Oceano Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Clayton
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maryland Ave.
Description: We are St. Louis' premiere fresh fish bistro. Our chefs, in partnership with fisherman, farmers and food artisans have searched the worlds' seas to bring to the St. Louis area what is enjoyed by those who live on the coasts.
Leawood, Kansas
“Excellent Restaurant; Outstanding Food; A Must Try.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We now know what Heaven is like! There is no doubt that the dinner we had at Oceano Bistro is one of the best dinners we have had anywhere in the world.

We love seafood so before our visit to St. Louis & Clayton I looked at several restaurants on TripAdvisor and decided upon Oceano as one of our selections. The TripAdvisor reviews told us a great deal. Not only the recent reviews but even reviews from 2 years ago, especially the review from June 12, 2012.

We did not order appetizers as we were still full from lunch in Hermann Missouri earlier. However, the next time we are at Oceano’s (hopefully very soon) I am dying to try the mussels, since there is a “try the Mussels” theme running through the TA reviews.

My wife ordered the Spinach Salad to start, which is made with pommes frites (very, very thin potato fries), sliced almonds, goat cheese, fresh strawberries and roasted golden beets in a strawberry vinaigrette. It was outstanding.

I had the “Caesar Salad”, which was unlike, and better, than any Caesar Salad I have ever experienced! It was romaine hearts, pimentos, fried capers (yes, fried capers), and garlic croutons in a creamy parmesan dressing. It was absolutely the best Caesar Salad I have ever had. (I hope that when I die St. Peter has this waiting for me!)

For the entrée my wife ordered the “Grilled Branzino”, which is a European Sea Bass. It was served over a cous cous with diced sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, herbs and olive oil. It was absolutely incredible. The fish was perfect and the cous cous was incredible.

I ordered the Grilled Atlantic Salmon, which was served on top of a potato & arugula cake wrapped in bacon and topped with a shaved apple-fennel salad and finished with a mustard cider jus. I love salmon, and if I lived here I would want this almost every day! The salmon was cooked perfectly! I have never had such a wonderful salmon dinner.

As if things couldn’t get better, our waiter brought us their Bread Pudding, and a couple glasses of Prosecco. That truly was the best bread pudding we have ever experienced, and the prosecco was a perfect accompliment.

By far, Oceano Bistro is one of the finest restaurants in the world, and in itself is a reason to travel to Clayton Missouri. If you are in the Clayton/St. Louis area, please try Oceano Bistro.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Arthur P

Waverly, New York
“Superb food, but excellent service makes Oceano a stand-out.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We selected this restaurant because it was close to our hotel and had received excellent reviews. We walked to the restaurant and our party of three were seated in the green house which was a very pleasant environment. For appetizers we had crab cakes that were some of the best I have ever eaten, and the in-season special of soft shell crabs. What a treat! Our main courses were also wonderful and I would heartily recommend the warm water sea bass as an excellent choice. What made this experience most enjoyable was our attentive server Andrew. He was knowledge of all items on the menu including the wine list. He anticipated every need and promptly got us our bill so we could depart on time for a performance at the Fox.

• Visited May 2014
“Its Okay!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Food was ok, but pricey. I can put it like this the food did not WOW me and wasn't to happy about restaurant not having its own parking. The Dessert brownie was EXCELLENT!! Its a decent amount of food just needed a little flavor. Would go back during the weekend.

• Visited May 2014
“once of my favorites!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I come here a lot-- probably about once a month (sometimes more). I always opt for the happy hour as it is my favorite. The food here is absolutely delicious, but be prepared for a large bill. I most come here with my girlfriends for their delicious cocktails and happy hour wines. My most favorite thing here are the mussels. They are the best in St. Louis! They are cooked to perfection and the broth is amazing! Since I go here mostly for the drinks I can't really comment on the full menu but I know the items are very well received. The service is always spectacular here and we love getting to know all of the staff. If I ever have friends in town I always bring them here for a slice of up scale cocktail hour that is affordable. I absolutely love coming here and will continue to come back time and again!

• Visited March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Dependably good Clayton seafood”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I was prepared to give them a less-than stellar review, but they were able to make up for their bad first impression with a good server and good food delivered piping hot from the kitchen (not always easy with seafood)!
We waited nearly a half-hour to be seated, in spite of having a reservation. It seemed that people arriving after we did might have been seated before us, but I suppose it's possible they checked in and were out for a walk or something. At any rate, once we got past that, all apps and entrees were beautiful, and everything went just as you hope it will when you go out for a nice meal.

Visited April 2014