Clayton Plaza Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
US$162
Hotels.com
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria(Richmond Heights)
US$197
Moonrise Hotel(Saint Louis)
US$265
US$212
1,000 results
All reviewshardwood floorswafflesomeletbreakfast buffetclayton plazaexecutive towerfull buffetfree gamest louisrestaurant staffunder constructionseparate showerexercise rooman older hoteldefinitely stay here againforest parklouis area
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We were here for parent's weekend at WashU. Not a particularly clean hotel. Furniture in rooms had crusted on goo. Hallways need a good vacuuming. Very beat up decor. Look somewhere else if you need a place in Clayton. Only good thing is location.

Stayed: October 2013
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for your review and we're sorry to hear these things, but we will certainly make sure your concerns are addressed with our staff. We thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe and happy travels in the future!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Read the mixed reviews, but liked the brand, price and location and gave it a go. The lobby is very nice and the front desk staff was extremely friendly. We were on the sixth floor and the hallway was clean and nice. Even though the floor was wood laminate, it was nicely done and the bathroom was big and nice. Parking was a little confusing, but no big concerns. Breakfast was good, but nothing note worthy. Overall, I liked the stay and would stay there again.

However, we found by accident, that there are two sixth floors. The other floor looked nothing like the one we were on. I can understand why some of the reviews said what they said. It was clearly not to the standards of the Crown Plaza. My suggestion would be to check out your room once you get there and make sure it is acceptable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thanks, Mataurider, for taking the time to share your experience with our community! We are so happy to have such an avid traveler like yourself share your feedback with us and we appreciate the time it took for you to do so! I'm glad you had a good stay and I know what you mean by wandering off to the other sixth floor - that tower has been renovated as far as rooms go, but we are still waiting for the season to die down before renovating the hallways and public areas - but still, that was a good observation! As I always suggest on here, if the hallway carpet is enough to turn your whole stay negative, I say make sure you book a room in the "Executive Tower" - it comes at a slightly higher rate, but that way you know you're getting into the section that you hear about the most. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again next time!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

With a kid at Washington Univ., we stay here because it is a great location near the school. However, the hallways are DINGY and when we arrived it smelled like some commercial deodorizer. The room was better, and reasonably quiet. However, its like being in a maze to get to it. The elevator floor was filthy. Parking is good and free on weekends, Breakfast comes with the room and was very good; omelets made to order and service very friendly. Again, the restaurant is dingy. CP you need to refurbish this place!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback, goldenmom! Overall, I'm glad to see that you found value in our accommodations and you benefited from our close proximity to Washington University. I certainly understand your comment about the hallways and this pertains to our carpeting, which we are replacing at year's end. I hope you'll come see us again soon though and if you come back next year, I think you will be happy with the projects that will have been completed! As always, we sincerely thank you for staying with us - see you next time!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Crowne Clayton is an older hotel in need of a refresh. It has a good location in Clayton and is well situated but misses the mark on comfort and aesthetic appeal. The rooms are pieced together in a manner that is functional but blends old and new and has a feel that is more dorm room than hotel room. While this was disappointing the service, cleanliness, quality of the personal products and free wifi was a benefit. Certainly not awful but there are better choices at the same price point in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, David! We are glad to have you with us and I'm glad that you enjoyed the amenities and service from our staff, but I'm sorry you didn't think as highly of the aesthetics. I certainly understand, but I think this is more related to the carpeting throughout the hallways and corridors instead of the actual hotel rooms - and believe me, we are on top of that. We are just waiting for business to slow before replacing it. Hopefully our value will bring you back to us again in a few months and you'll be able to see the revitalized look once that project is complete. We thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to have you back again! Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Check in was fabulous, the front desk clerk was awesome then I went to my room. Nice accomodations, comfortable bed, temperature was appropriate, but the floors are all wood laminate. No rug in site. They did not feel clean to me and when I used the shower I saw how filthy my feet were I was rather disgusted.

I had a meeting that evening and came back to the hotel famished. I was told the restaurant was open until 10:30, so when I walked in at 9:30 I didn't expect to get the hostility I was met with. I sat for about 5 minutes before the bartender came over to give me a menu. When I asked for a wine list I was told that they were closing in 30 minutes and she wasn't sure if I would have time enough to drink the wine (I was very confused). I ordered a call drink instead and asked what time the restaurant closed (please keep in mind room service was available until 11pm) and was told that they kitchen closed at 10, so I would need to order something simple.

OK, not very cool but at that time was chalking it up to perhaps she had a bad day. Lo and behold, another employee began to vacuum the floor. The other patrons with whom I was sitting next to and I looked at each other. After a while, we began speaking over each other about how annoying the sound was. Thank goodness it stopped, or so we thought. Than began the drunken employee who was sitting on another side of the bar discussing wages... I was floored.

I then requested to get my check and leave. After signing the check I left a 9% tip and began walking out only to be chased down by the bartender accusing me of not paying for my meal. After standing there with the manager she finally found my signed bill. I was livid.

The light in this was when I called to complain the night manager was very apologetic and kind. She explained that the restaurant had a different management company and comped my meal. I was not expecting a comped meal, but very appreciative. I was disappointed that the restaurant staff will more than likely not suffer any type of consequence.

The carpet in the halls is very old. I was greeted to the housekeeping closet each time I came out of my room. It was generally full with roll out beds and dishes from room service. At times there were large garbage bags and piles of towels on the floor..

I travel quite a bit and have stayed at many Crowne Plaza hotels through the years. This one had a great location, and fabulous hotel staff; but the no carpet was gross to me, the housekeeping closet was unacceptable (as I was staying at their full rate, no third party booking and an IHD member) and the restaurant. Worst service at their restaurant ever..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Well this certainly is an “interesting” review and I do apologize for the encounters you have described. I will most definitely look further into this and address with the Plaza Grill team. I thank you for the compliments to the hotel staff and will make sure they are commended for their service. I hear you on the carpet and as I tell other travelers, we already have the carpet in our possession – we are just waiting for the right time to install it. We are just too busy right now and we can’t do much with it while the hotel is booked up because we don’t want to disturb our guests, but yes – we are aware. Thank you so much for staying with us and we wish you happy and safe travels ahead!