Clayton Plaza Hotel
US$157
US$147
US$162
Hotels.com
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria(Richmond Heights)
US$219
US$160
US$150
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshardwood floorswafflesomeletbreakfast buffetclayton plazaexecutive towerfull buffetfree gamest louisrestaurant staffunder constructionseparate showerexercise rooman older hoteldefinitely stay here againforest parklouis area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here after attending a wedding reception. The rooms are small but it is an old building and it was big enough to serve it's purpose. We did like that we had free parking and the breakfast was good. We enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the fact that it was not right in the hustle and bustle of downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brnj
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you @brnj for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time at the reception! Yes, breakfast is always served with our compliments and parking is completely free on the weekend. I’m glad you enjoyed Clayton – it is a beautiful part of St. Louis with an invaluable central location. We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Comfortable bed
Free parking and breakfast

Cons -
Tiny room
The hotel isn't near attractions.
No bathrobes (as listed in room description)
Called THREE times to ask for an early check-in. They could not accommodate. Showed up promptly at 4:00 check in time and room still wasn't ready. I was left waiting at desk for 15 min while they cleaned a room for us.
Outdated
Our room was right next to the doors to the parking garage. We heard everything.

We returned to our room after 9 pm to BLARING music. We were told the music would stop by 10 pm. That was a lie. Spoke to the front desk at 10:45 pm and was told that I wasn't the only one complaining but they had no control over the banquet going on. The best they had was to call security and have them patrol our hall. I haven't yet received a return phone call from a manager.

I travel almost once a month and stay many wonderful places. I am in shock and disbelief over this experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori W
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Lori, I apologize for the perception that you were left with. I would have been happy to contact you, but since you booked through a third-party, the only contact information I have for you is your address. I want to address your issues starting with the early check-in. As you mentioned, you called us three times and each time, my staff did tell you that they could not guarantee such an early check-in. The entire hotel was 100% full on Valentine's Day the night before your arrival, so naturally housekeeping needs time to clean these rooms. You had wanted to check-in at the same time as check-out. As for the noise, I am surprised you heard it in your room but I will be more than happy to help you - just contact me at the hotel directly if you see this response. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Pros:
-Free garage (orange level) parking with validation
-Complimentary breakfast (average quality)
-Large rooms (for you in-room fitness gurus, hard floors though as an FYI)
-Location is relatively nice (walking distance to several restaurants, banks)
-Staff attitudes were overall courteous

Cons:
-Very cold rooms, turning up the heat just causes dryness with no measurable increase in warmth, possibly due to the hard flooring
-No slippers, be prepared to have icy cold feet walking around (cold feet = poor sleep, or difficulty falling asleep)
-Hotel looks old and worn out (like an old white shirt with those yellow stains that cannot be removed no matter what detergent you use)
-Absolutely no benefits as a Platinum member. They wouldn't even give out bottles of free water (I saw stacks of 24 pack bottled waters in their back office)
-Only 1 functioning vending machine for drinks and snacks on the lobby floor as the hotel does not have a convenience mart.

Give the price point of this IHG hotel, you should expect much more. There are much better options in the area (Seven Gables Inn is a great example of a comfortable stay, 3 blocks away). Also, whereas I had fantastic experiences as a Hilton Gold/Diamond member, IHG Platinum Elite benefits are nowhere to be seen. There's no value in being one at all, so if you're chasing hotel stays for Elite status, please go for SPG or Hilton as they have, at least in my experience, lived up to their standards of treating their Elite members nicely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hi @EthanGYT and thank you for your valuable feedback! It's disappointing to that you were less than satisfied with your stay here and I just wanted to take a moment to apologize. Our whole business is structured around the loyalty of our invaluable IHG Rewards Members like yourself. On the contrary, we do offer bottled water and one of the exciting changes to the program (effective as of January 1) is a series of 3 OPTIONS you are given at check-in as a Platinum member. Most of our members elect for the option of Bonus Points. However, there are other options including a drink voucher OR a welcome bag with a snack and the bottle of water you are referring to. There are several vending machines located throughout the hotel, all of which are functioning just fine - please be assured that we checked as soon as we saw this. We thank you for staying with us and I hope you will be able to come back and see us next time you're in our neighborhood - if so, please do contact me and I will be happy to make sure you are well accommodated.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Third time staying here. First time was okay. Second time put me into a room that was already occupied.
This time is the last. Toilet not cleaned, hair in the towels. All the money is spent on the lobby, rest of the property is very poorly maintained.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

We thank you for your feedback @JnDtraveling. I am 100% certain that we called you after check-in to make sure everything was alright. I also know that you rode the elevator and had a nice conversation with my manager the next morning before you checked out and said nothing of this sort. It is difficult to address items like this if you don't tell anyone. We apologize regardless and we wish you happier travels in the future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here twice and will continue to come back while our son is in college. It is an older property and there are some funky things about the decor, but considering the excellent rates, location and phenomenal breakfast, good comfortable beds, why go anywhere else. We've stayed in far more expensive hotels here that weren't as good.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank elsietall
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thanks for the 5-star review @elsietall - we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and kind words. We are so happy to know you've been so please with our value and accommodations and we look forward to welcoming you back time and time again! Thanks for staying with is - we'll see you next time!