“Great stay”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
“Great stay”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I went to st. Louis for mardi gras and I couldn't find a hotel in the city, but I found this one. I loved the room, very clean and the staff the checked me in was very polite it was an older gentleman. They gave my three friends and I a complimentary breakfast buffet ticket and that was awesome. I enjoyed the time that I was in the hotel. Loyal customer! !!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica J
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thanks for the great review, Jessica! We're so happy you had such a great stay and we can't wait to see you next time! We hope you had a good time at Mardi Gras! Thanks again for taking the time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I was so excited to find out my employer was putting me up at a Crowne Plaza. When we pulled up into the driveway my excitement went away. This is a very outdated property. The lobby is done very nice. The staff is very friendly. The hotel is clean. The room was small, but clean. The floor in the room is laminate. It did not bother me at all. I feel it is cleaner than carpet. The television is twice the size of the room. That is a bonus. We stayed on the fourth floor. There must be a bowling alley on the fifth floor. We could hear something rolling on the floor above us. The elevator was extremely slow, small and completely appointed in wood. I became claustrophobic and decided the steps were for me. The steps skip the first floor so exit on the second floor and take interior steps. The best part of the stay was the breakfast buffet. Everything was hot and fresh.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PutJer1
Thank you for your valuable feedback @PutJer1! Your comments are the foundation of our operations and help us to improve the various aspects of our business. I am glad to know that our staff helped was friendly and you found cleanliness in our accommodations. However, I do apologize for the noise you experienced. I certainly understand your frustration with the elevators – we currently have one of the two under construction and we cannot wait until it is complete! I do thank you for staying with us and I hope that our value and service will bring you back to us next time you’re in our area!
anytown
Reviewed 21 February 2014

While the ranking of Clayton hotels on Tripadvisor may be correctly assigned, I would not hesitate to book this hotel, if staying in the area. The staff goes above and beyond and makes sure your stay is as enjoyable as possible. The restaurant and bar are as good as anything else in the area - no need to venture out. The complimentary breakfast buffet is unlike any other I've seen (you could survive all day on that meal alone!). I don't mean this to sound over-the-top positive - after all, there are shortcomings: age is showing here and there (especially the elevators), the non-carpeted rooms are a bit like an extended stay hotel, but overall, I would recommend it to anyone and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Ignore the snobs that complain about the minutiae and think every hotel should be torn down if it's over 5 years old. It's clean. It's well-located. The staff is exceptional.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank procyclist
Thank you for your great review @procyclist! Your compliments to our staff mean so much and they are all thrilled to read this! We certainly strive to provide the best service and your recommendation is the reward that we work for. I know the floors are different, but we do find that our guests seem to appreciate their hypoallergenic properties. I am so happy to announce that we currently have the elevators being replaced as we speak and one of the two is almost done! I hope you’ll come back and see them for yourself! Again, thank you on behalf of our team! We’ll see you next time you’re in Clayton!
brnj
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here after attending a wedding reception. The rooms are small but it is an old building and it was big enough to serve it's purpose. We did like that we had free parking and the breakfast was good. We enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the fact that it was not right in the hustle and bustle of downtown.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brnj
Thank you @brnj for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time at the reception! Yes, breakfast is always served with our compliments and parking is completely free on the weekend. I’m glad you enjoyed Clayton – it is a beautiful part of St. Louis with an invaluable central location. We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again!
Ozark, Missouri

Comfortable bed
Free parking and breakfast

Cons -
Tiny room
The hotel isn't near attractions.
No bathrobes (as listed in room description)
Called THREE times to ask for an early check-in. They could not accommodate. Showed up promptly at 4:00 check in time and room still wasn't ready. I was left waiting at desk for 15 min while they cleaned a room for us.
Outdated
Our room was right next to the doors to the parking garage. We heard everything.

We returned to our room after 9 pm to BLARING music. We were told the music would stop by 10 pm. That was a lie. Spoke to the front desk at 10:45 pm and was told that I wasn't the only one complaining but they had no control over the banquet going on. The best they had was to call security and have them patrol our hall. I haven't yet received a return phone call from a manager.

I travel almost once a month and stay many wonderful places. I am in shock and disbelief over this experience.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lori W
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Lori, I apologize for the perception that you were left with. I would have been happy to contact you, but since you booked through a third-party, the only contact information I have for you is your address. I want to address your issues starting with the early check-in. As you mentioned, you called us three times and each time, my staff did tell you that they could not guarantee such an early check-in. The entire hotel was 100% full on Valentine's Day the night before your arrival, so naturally housekeeping needs time to clean these rooms. You had wanted to check-in at the same time as check-out. As for the noise, I am surprised you heard it in your room but I will be more than happy to help you - just contact me at the hotel directly if you see this response. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Pros:
-Free garage (orange level) parking with validation
-Complimentary breakfast (average quality)
-Large rooms (for you in-room fitness gurus, hard floors though as an FYI)
-Location is relatively nice (walking distance to several restaurants, banks)
-Staff attitudes were overall courteous

Cons:
-Very cold rooms, turning up the heat just causes dryness with no measurable increase in warmth, possibly due to the hard flooring
-No slippers, be prepared to have icy cold feet walking around (cold feet = poor sleep, or difficulty falling asleep)
-Hotel looks old and worn out (like an old white shirt with those yellow stains that cannot be removed no matter what detergent you use)
-Absolutely no benefits as a Platinum member. They wouldn't even give out bottles of free water (I saw stacks of 24 pack bottled waters in their back office)
-Only 1 functioning vending machine for drinks and snacks on the lobby floor as the hotel does not have a convenience mart.

Give the price point of this IHG hotel, you should expect much more. There are much better options in the area (Seven Gables Inn is a great example of a comfortable stay, 3 blocks away). Also, whereas I had fantastic experiences as a Hilton Gold/Diamond member, IHG Platinum Elite benefits are nowhere to be seen. There's no value in being one at all, so if you're chasing hotel stays for Elite status, please go for SPG or Hilton as they have, at least in my experience, lived up to their standards of treating their Elite members nicely.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi @EthanGYT and thank you for your valuable feedback! It's disappointing to that you were less than satisfied with your stay here and I just wanted to take a moment to apologize. Our whole business is structured around the loyalty of our invaluable IHG Rewards Members like yourself. On the contrary, we do offer bottled water and one of the exciting changes to the program (effective as of January 1) is a series of 3 OPTIONS you are given at check-in as a Platinum member. Most of our members elect for the option of Bonus Points. However, there are other options including a drink voucher OR a welcome bag with a snack and the bottle of water you are referring to. There are several vending machines located throughout the hotel, all of which are functioning just fine - please be assured that we checked as soon as we saw this. We thank you for staying with us and I hope you will be able to come back and see us next time you're in our neighborhood - if so, please do contact me and I will be happy to make sure you are well accommodated.
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Third time staying here. First time was okay. Second time put me into a room that was already occupied.
This time is the last. Toilet not cleaned, hair in the towels. All the money is spent on the lobby, rest of the property is very poorly maintained.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
We thank you for your feedback @JnDtraveling. I am 100% certain that we called you after check-in to make sure everything was alright. I also know that you rode the elevator and had a nice conversation with my manager the next morning before you checked out and said nothing of this sort. It is difficult to address items like this if you don't tell anyone. We apologize regardless and we wish you happier travels in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
The Parkway Hotel
The Parkway Hotel
#30 of 121 in Saint Louis

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!