“Nice change of pace”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
“Nice change of pace”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed in Clayton a number of times at a competitor and decided to try this hotel as it was convenient to the courthouse. It is an interesting combination of old world feel and current conveniences. I enjoyed the unique structure-I think the hotel may comprise 3 different buildings if you include the parking building-all connected. The room was rather small, but updated and all I needed. The staff was, without exception, helpful and pleasant and is a differentiator for this hotel. Free breakfast included a chef who would make you a personal waffle or omelet. An exceptional value for the Clayton area.

1 Thank Jeff L
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for the great review, Jeff! We are so pleased to know we passed the test! Yes, you literally cannot get any closer to the courthouse than us. The hotel does consist of three buildings - if you were to count the garage, it would actually be four and I'm glad you liked that! Most of all, I am glad you were so pleased with our staff as they truly work hard for our valued guests. They surely appreciate the recognition and I thank you on everyone's behalf for staying with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stay at this hotel because the staff is awesome. Jerry the head of Corporate relations was kind friendly and personal. The morning and night staff in the concierge lounge ran the operation as if it were their own. Both Derrick and Grady at the bell stand were courteous and efficient. and Keyanna at the front desk was a true service professional. Accommodations are always nice, but the people that staff this hotel are what make it a 5 star location

Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review @Road_rookie! I am so proud to read reviews like this one and please be assured that I will make sure to forward your compliments to Jerry, Keyanna, Derrick & Grady - I think it is so awesome that you remember all of their names and they will be so happy to read this as well. Please come back and see us again soon, alright? We will look forward to seeing you! On behalf of us all, THANK YOU!
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were excited to stay in Clayton for one of our many trips to St. Louis. Upon check in, the lobby was very nice and the staff very friendly. Then we went to our room. Up the "silver" elevators to floor 6. I turned over one pillow on the bed and it was COVERED in mold! The other bedspread had blood and hair on it. Obviously I called for a different room. Next room, up the "gold" elevators to floor 4. Room was better but one bed still had hair on it and the bathroom (in both rooms) had a ton of hair. Ugh. It was too late for us to do something different so I cleaned it up myself. The interesting thing is that a friend was also staying at the hotel, floor six up the "gold" elevators and she said her room was fine. I personally would not roll the dice to stay again. The breakfast selection was very large but the dining area was a MESS, food all over the floor. I'm sure it's hard to keep clean with all the people but it was kind of gross to walk through. The other thing that bothered me was that the omelet area was also the bar so all the liquor was the "decor" for breakfast. It really felt like we were in a sports bar for breakfast. One last comment, I'm not sure what it going on with the toilets in this hotel but ours was the loudest I've ever heard. And then we continued all night to hear the ones around us, and not just on the other side of one wall. Above, below, all sides. My daughter kept saying "there goes another one". hee hee

Room Tip: Try to find a clean one.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we certainly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I am so very sorry to hear of these issues and I want to assure you that this is highly unusual for us. I'm also sorry to hear about breakfast - that's always been a guest favorite! I'm sure if you were here on a weekend, it was probably PACKED and for that, I do apologize. The restaurant is a sports bar, so you're right - the liquor is in sight, we're sorry if that bothered you. Again, we thank you for your review and hope our value might bring you back to us again next time.
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Seeming modern hotel show signs of older vintage on the inside -- weird connectivity, small hallways, smallish rooms with small bathrooms. However, it's very clean, has free garage parking, free internet, good fitness center and pool, free (and excellent) breakfast, at a very reasonable price. Very convenient for WUSTL and Forest Park. Proprietor Pete Nes introduces himself to customers at breakfast, which is rather nice in today's transactional world.

1 Thank uwman
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience @uwman! It is a privilege to receive such kind words from a seasoned traveler like yourself! I'm so please to know we were able to provide you with clean, valuable accommodations - and Pete says hello! On behalf of us all, thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was our pleasure and we hope to have you with us again soon!
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The entrie staff is extreemely friendly, courteous, and helpful and Jaimme and Samanthya at the front desk went out of their way to help make sure that my stay was the best possible stay it could be. The rooms are clean and nice, the laminate flooring is much nicer than carpeting in my opinion. The breakfast buffet is fantastic and very much worth the value.

• Stayed April 2014
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review @jylantir! We are so happy to see that Jammie and Symantha delivered our signature service and they certainly appreciate you taking the time to commend them. We're glad you found comfort, service and value in our accommodations and we can't wait to see you next time you're in our city!
Greenfield, WI
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Old, dirty, smelly hotel! The pictures are terribly misleading. The "updates" appear to have been completed by Harry Homemaker with materials (residential) materials purchased on closeout at a local HOBO Home Improvement store. 6 panel pine doors with 1 inch of poorly applied shellac??? Carpet ripped & stained, wallpaper ripped & delaminating- even "patched" in some areas! We opened the pull out bed, & the "debris" underneath was clearly visible & obviously hadn't been cleaned in ages. The bathroom fixtures were old, drains barely worked, & the water temperature had almost zero regulation- scalding or very cold...those were the options. Upon arriving into our room we were overcome with the smell of sewer gas & an overall smell of "funk". The common areas weren't any better- the whole hotel was a hodge podge of building with ramps/stairs/poorly lit halls to navigate. The pool was disgusting & small. The "free" arcade- a joke. We arrived late & had to stay the night. Between the sirens, car alarms & ridiculously loud hvac system we barely slept a wink. We checked out by 8am the following morning. Terrible experience.

• Stayed April 2014
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Wow, 11Rebecca! We are so sorry to see this! I only wish that you would have brought your concerns to our attention while you were with us. I would have called right away upon checking in if I were "overcome" with any odor. I know you had your dog with you, could that have anything to do with it? We do not claim to be a new hotel and we have work being done that seems to be ongoing. Lots of investments have been made to this hotel and the public areas are undergoing their revamps - but even now, I don't know which areas you could be speaking of. The carpet has literally just been replaced a little over a month ago and to my knowledge, there are no rips or stains to be seen. HVAC systems are practically brand new. Again, I'm just sorry you didn't give us a chance to make anything better - that's what we're here for. We wish you happier travels in the future and just a friendly traveler tip: if something isn't right, let someone know. Thank you for your feedback!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room wasn't ready but the woman went ahead and found a room for us so we could check in a bit early and gave us bottles of water. She gave us recommendations for where to eat that night with a local map. It was nice to have covered parking (free over the weekend, not sure if it is all the time). Yes, as others have said the layout is a bit confusing, like they took 2 different buildings and connected them together so there are different sets of elevators, ramps and things but it didn't affect our stay at all. We were on one of the top floors and the room itself was beautiful with very high ceilings, big comfortable king size bed, very nice bathroom & shower and a refrigerator/microwave (no view though). Wish we could have stayed here for more than one night! On Sunday morning it was kind of awkward having the "elevator man" there in this tiny little elevator to push buttons for us (we don't usually stay at hotels with one of these!) and felt it kind of took up space in an already small spot. We did eat the buffet breakfast which was decent. The best thing was probably the pizza which I didn't mind eating in the morning. Toughest part was finding a spot to sit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us @Flonlolo! We are so happy to know that you had such a good time with us and we hope you'll come back next time your travels bring you to St. Louis! Thank you for the compliments to our front desk! Yes, parking in the garage is FREE on Friday & Saturday nights. Other nights are only $6 though, which is still more than fair. I'm glad the layout didn't throw you off too much - I know we're a huge property! PS - I LOL'd at the "elevator man" comment! We don't typically have that, but at times of high traffic we have someone keep the elevator moving - because those elevators are being replaced as we speak and only one car can be worked on at once. We are excited for the finished product! Please come see us again soon and thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
The Parkway Hotel
The Parkway Hotel
#30 of 120 in Saint Louis

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!