“Top notch operation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Toronto, Canada
“Top notch operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

It was refreshing to find in the Crowne Plaza St. Louis a hotel that worked well in every respect encountered. Every aspect of the most basic room I had was both comfortable and functional. The staff was upbeat and helpful. The free breakfast was varied and plentiful, even including the option for omlettes and waffles prepared according to personal preferences. Parking is free in a garage connected to the hotel by a covered ramp. The location in Clayton is accessible to both the central city and the western suburbs. I found this a top notch operation. In addition to the virtues of the hotel, it might be noted that it came to my attention as part of a Priceline package, with air travel; which brought about super value for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill350
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
@Bill350 Thank you for your rave review! It was OUR pleasure to have you with us and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back next time you're in our beautiful city! -Eric

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Somonauk, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel seems a bit dated and needs some deep cleaning and updating. All the different wings and elevators can be a bit confusing. The breakfast buffet was horrible but I hear the omelets made to order were quite good. Bed was comfortable. Wifi and cable worked as it should. Towels were decent size.

The staff was super friendly and patient.

The best feature of this hotel is the pool which is an indoor outdoor pool all in one. Great fun! And, the game room connected to the pool room is free!

There are a lot of places to stay in St. Louis. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback @13SS! I know things can be a bit confusing, but we have been sure to put PLENTY of directional signs all over the hotel to help with that. I do apologize if that had an effect on your stay though. Breakfast is usually a favorite and keeps guests coming back to us - but I know everyone is different and I'm sorry you didn't get to have an omelet made. I am very pleased to know the staff were "super friendly" - I thank you so much for that and I'm also glad you enjoyed the pool. I hope our value will bring you back to us next time you're in our neighborhood and thank you for staying!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed in Clayton a number of times at a competitor and decided to try this hotel as it was convenient to the courthouse. It is an interesting combination of old world feel and current conveniences. I enjoyed the unique structure-I think the hotel may comprise 3 different buildings if you include the parking building-all connected. The room was rather small, but updated and all I needed. The staff was, without exception, helpful and pleasant and is a differentiator for this hotel. Free breakfast included a chef who would make you a personal waffle or omelet. An exceptional value for the Clayton area.

1 Thank Jeff L
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for the great review, Jeff! We are so pleased to know we passed the test! Yes, you literally cannot get any closer to the courthouse than us. The hotel does consist of three buildings - if you were to count the garage, it would actually be four and I'm glad you liked that! Most of all, I am glad you were so pleased with our staff as they truly work hard for our valued guests. They surely appreciate the recognition and I thank you on everyone's behalf for staying with us! We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stay at this hotel because the staff is awesome. Jerry the head of Corporate relations was kind friendly and personal. The morning and night staff in the concierge lounge ran the operation as if it were their own. Both Derrick and Grady at the bell stand were courteous and efficient. and Keyanna at the front desk was a true service professional. Accommodations are always nice, but the people that staff this hotel are what make it a 5 star location

Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review @Road_rookie! I am so proud to read reviews like this one and please be assured that I will make sure to forward your compliments to Jerry, Keyanna, Derrick & Grady - I think it is so awesome that you remember all of their names and they will be so happy to read this as well. Please come back and see us again soon, alright? We will look forward to seeing you! On behalf of us all, THANK YOU!
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were excited to stay in Clayton for one of our many trips to St. Louis. Upon check in, the lobby was very nice and the staff very friendly. Then we went to our room. Up the "silver" elevators to floor 6. I turned over one pillow on the bed and it was COVERED in mold! The other bedspread had blood and hair on it. Obviously I called for a different room. Next room, up the "gold" elevators to floor 4. Room was better but one bed still had hair on it and the bathroom (in both rooms) had a ton of hair. Ugh. It was too late for us to do something different so I cleaned it up myself. The interesting thing is that a friend was also staying at the hotel, floor six up the "gold" elevators and she said her room was fine. I personally would not roll the dice to stay again. The breakfast selection was very large but the dining area was a MESS, food all over the floor. I'm sure it's hard to keep clean with all the people but it was kind of gross to walk through. The other thing that bothered me was that the omelet area was also the bar so all the liquor was the "decor" for breakfast. It really felt like we were in a sports bar for breakfast. One last comment, I'm not sure what it going on with the toilets in this hotel but ours was the loudest I've ever heard. And then we continued all night to hear the ones around us, and not just on the other side of one wall. Above, below, all sides. My daughter kept saying "there goes another one". hee hee

Room Tip: Try to find a clean one.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we certainly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I am so very sorry to hear of these issues and I want to assure you that this is highly unusual for us. I'm also sorry to hear about breakfast - that's always been a guest favorite! I'm sure if you were here on a weekend, it was probably PACKED and for that, I do apologize. The restaurant is a sports bar, so you're right - the liquor is in sight, we're sorry if that bothered you. Again, we thank you for your review and hope our value might bring you back to us again next time.
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Seeming modern hotel show signs of older vintage on the inside -- weird connectivity, small hallways, smallish rooms with small bathrooms. However, it's very clean, has free garage parking, free internet, good fitness center and pool, free (and excellent) breakfast, at a very reasonable price. Very convenient for WUSTL and Forest Park. Proprietor Pete Nes introduces himself to customers at breakfast, which is rather nice in today's transactional world.

1 Thank uwman
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience @uwman! It is a privilege to receive such kind words from a seasoned traveler like yourself! I'm so please to know we were able to provide you with clean, valuable accommodations - and Pete says hello! On behalf of us all, thank you again for choosing our hotel. It was our pleasure and we hope to have you with us again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The entrie staff is extreemely friendly, courteous, and helpful and Jaimme and Samanthya at the front desk went out of their way to help make sure that my stay was the best possible stay it could be. The rooms are clean and nice, the laminate flooring is much nicer than carpeting in my opinion. The breakfast buffet is fantastic and very much worth the value.

• Stayed April 2014
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review @jylantir! We are so happy to see that Jammie and Symantha delivered our signature service and they certainly appreciate you taking the time to commend them. We're glad you found comfort, service and value in our accommodations and we can't wait to see you next time you're in our city!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
The Chase Park Plaza
#30 of 121 in Saint Louis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,046 reviews
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!