“A bit dated, but well run.”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My first impression wasn't good...as their were lots of empty planters, some with cigarette butts. It was May, and flowers are in bloom, so it felt a bit barren and unwelcoming. Healthy plantings make it seems like someone is paying attention. My experience was otherwise good. I was on business for 4 nights, ordered room service a couple of times and was surprised the food was actually pretty good. The rooms were very clean, and the staff was competent.

Room Tip: I was in the newer tower.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights while at a small conference and were very impressed with the hotel. Loved the rooms and rarely did we ever see an employee - no matter what the position - who didn't say hi and ask if we needed anything. The only exception was the front desk when on 2 occasions they did seem to be more interested in texting than helping us. We had a very nice visit from the owner of the hotel one morning at breakfast and there were several very great servers in the restaurant. We happened to get our room on the concierge floor and really enjoyed this added amenity once we figured out what it included (morning breakfast and evening drinks/appetizers), would have been nice to be given more information on this upon check in. Overall loved our time there!

Room Tip: The 2 concierge floors (5 and 6) have nice added amenities in the concierge lounge. Rooms on the fro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel has a great location and the rooms and building are beautiful. However, the employees are terrible. The front desk agents were always sure to finish their text messaging before talking to anyone who approached them at the desk. My husband was trying to purchase tickets for a festival using the internet (it was for a beer festival and apparently anything beer related is blocked on their network.. doesn't st louis have breweries as a main attraction??) and when he asked the front desk agent if he could help him all he said was "No". No offer to help, no solution, just No. Anytime you asked a question to anyone they acted as if it pained them to have to talk to you and be helpful.
I think this hotel staff is indifferent because they are one of the very few hotels located in Clayton and so automatically get most of the business and therefore do not care to have any kind of service standards.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thanks for your review, Denvergrl3! I'm so sorry to hear of your experience and I assure you that the experience you described is certainly unique. Usually we pride ourselves on the service that our wonderful staff provides to our valuable guests. It sounds like the whole "beer" being blocked on the business center computer is what really did it here and I am sorry about that. You see, these computers are all public and children do have access to them, so naturally there restrictions in place to keep them from wandering off to places they shouldn't be. It sounds like alcohol is part of that filter and unfortunately, it applies to all hotel-owned computers. Regardless of the reasoning, I do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We do thank you for staying with us and I hope you might stay with us next time you're in St. Louis so we can show you how great our staff really is! We wish you happy travels ahead and thanks again!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My experience at this hotel was fantastic, everything was wonderful, but the exceptional performance of the valets, Derrick and Grady, made my visit one to remember. I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my business associates. Leslie at the front desk cared so much about the quality of our experience that she also went out of her way to accomodate our every need.

Great employees always make for a great experience. Keep up the good work Crowne - Clayton

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had a party this weekend and everything was great! The food was delicious! Jamal was our manager for the evening and it could not have been smoother. The guests had a wonderful time. We had two excellent servers: Elvir and Elizabeth. Mike the bartender remembered everyone's drink orders and names. Mike and Grady were the doormen that were so helpful and kind. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a party or meeting. The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were nice. Brenda helped us set up our party weekend and facilitated our event.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I LOVE this place. The breakfast, rooms, staff. Everything is always wonderful and up to my expectation. People here are always so friendly. I stay in Clayton quite frequently and I would always choose this hotel over any others. I would defiantly like to point out their staff though. The had a server who was a young male named tim and he was absolutely great and respectful. I wouldn't think of giving this hotel anything but five stars!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

It was refreshing to find in the Crowne Plaza St. Louis a hotel that worked well in every respect encountered. Every aspect of the most basic room I had was both comfortable and functional. The staff was upbeat and helpful. The free breakfast was varied and plentiful, even including the option for omlettes and waffles prepared according to personal preferences. Parking is free in a garage connected to the hotel by a covered ramp. The location in Clayton is accessible to both the central city and the western suburbs. I found this a top notch operation. In addition to the virtues of the hotel, it might be noted that it came to my attention as part of a Priceline package, with air travel; which brought about super value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill350
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

@Bill350 Thank you for your rave review! It was OUR pleasure to have you with us and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back next time you're in our beautiful city! -Eric

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
#47 of 124 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!