“Tough review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
“Tough review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This took some thinking about how to go about this review. Yes, all the previous Crown Plaza properties I have visited were the Taj Mahal of the C.P. name. This one not so much, I understand a lot of iffy reviews and people's reaction upon arrival. Some of the complaints, I have to say GROW UP PEOPLE! This is not the Waldorf Astoria in New York. This is an older property......Yes! Our room was delightful, I was very pleased. We were on the 6th floor and I also enjoyed the complimentary concierge lounge on the 5th. Back to our room, the beds were great and the AC worked great. The shower is a little small but nothing major, Decent size tub & good size desk. Everyone was fantastic and very friendly. If any reviews on here say that staff was rude, maybe those people should have checked their poopy attitude at the door. The breakfast was great and the bar at night was good for a night cap. Shuttle service to and from the point was spot on, all around a really great experience. I can see where overall some people would rate this property low, but it did it's job for me and with that I give it 5 out of 5!

Great location
Great service
Willing to listen & help
Shuttle service
Breakfast
Concierge room (free beer )
Bell hop
Bar in hotel
Indoor/outdoor pool
FOOZBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Video games

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Close to many good restaurants in a variety of price ranges, and also close to the metro link train. (Which you can use to get to many downtown attractions)

Older decorations, lobby a bit dated. Elevators a wonky and slow.

The layout means moving around the hotel is a maze.

Parking is usually $19/night, we were lucky it was a holiday weekend.

We had a one bed King room that was pretty small.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth N
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you so much for the great feedback, Elizabeth! We're so glad you found the location to be so convenient - we are so centrally located and you're right, that easy access to MetroLink sure comes in handy if you don't have a car or don't want to drive and park downtown. I'm sorry to hear about the elevator - I know which one you're talking about and it is the last one left to be replaced, which will happen later this year once the season slows down. We are a large property, so I certainly understand how navigating might feel like you're traveling through a maze. I also wanted to point out that $19 is only charged if you utilize valet. Otherwise, our self parking is charged at $6.00 nightly Sunday-Thursday nights - Friday & Saturday nights are free! We hope that next time you're in St. Louis, our included amenities and location will bring you back to us. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
southern ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The location is great, the staff for the most part is courteous and friendly but the property itself is simply not up to Crowne Plaza standards.

Our overall experience was poor and I have just cancelled all future bookings as staying here in future is totally out of the question. ( We are going to be traveling in out 6/year )

On check in we were assigned a room on the second floor, when we opened the curtains we faced a wall inches away. The front desk changed our rooms but only when the front desk manager came.

The pullout sofa was sooo bad we had to request a rollaway bed. As a favour we were told they would not charge us !! (really ?)

My wife's shoes went missing after much effort and looking under a king bed we found them turned over in the center of the bed, wonder who put them there ?

We had lounge access, another major disappointment. The evening snacks consisted of one single choice, some form of meat in a gray gravy sauce, no chips, no nuts, no dips, nothing but this one hot item, whatever it was. We never went back.

The breakfast is generous, probably the best feature of the hotel, and yes the owner did come over and say hello, a fine gentleman but not enough to want us to ever come back.

Over all the property needs a serious refresh but to call it a Crowne Plaza is very misleading if you have experienced Crowne Plaza Hotels.

Room Tip: The only rooms that have been renovated are the Executive category, its a seperate section with its...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thanks for your valuable feedback, sunseeker2008_7! We are sorry to hear that you had expected more and we certainly hope you will find a hotel that meets your needs and expectations. I am glad we were able to move you to a different room with a better view - there's not too much to look at around here so if you ended up in a room with some sort of view, that's great! I certainly know what you mean with the pull-out bed - personally, I have never slept on a comfortable one - I'd be curious to know if there is a mattress anywhere in existence that is both comfortable and able to fold up into thirds when it is not in use. In fact, when I have guests that are considering booking a suite, I always ask who they plan on putting on the pull-out bed. If they plan on putting anyone over the age of 5 on there, I always suggest getting a room with two real beds. Additionally, I will most definitely forward your comments about the complimentary lounge items to the appropriate party. Again, we wish you happier travels in the future and I'm so sorry that we didn't fit your needs. We still appreciate your business regardless and we hope you'll find a "home away from home" in our great city!
Silverthorne, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

It’s taken me a while to get this done. I reviewed the Crowne Plaza in Clayton right after staying there, but the hotel chain rejected my review, because it did not “conform with their format”…which is code for they don’t take negative reviews very well.

We booked two rooms at the Crowne Plaza, Clayton with two beds for one night to attend a family function. The common areas of the hotel were very nice and the staff seemed attentive and pleasant. But then we went to our rooms. As we exited the elevator, the sense of the hotel was very different. The halls were narrow, dark and drab. The walls were missing baseboard and several electrical socket plates were missing too. It seemed more like a construction zone than a quality hotel. When we entered our rooms, we found both to be very small and tight. There were very formal dated swag curtains coated in dust. We didn’t want to touch them. But more importantly, the overall cleanliness of the room was suspect. The bathroom floor did not appear clean and there were several dreaded hairs from previous customers. This left us very uneasy for our one night in the hotel. If the room wasn’t clean, what about the bed?

We picked this Crowne Plaza because it was in walking distance to relatives. We will not be staying there ever again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Hi JCK136 and thank you for sharing! I am not sure what caused your review to be rejected because unfortunately, negative reviews are something that all hotels must accept and this includes ours. I'm so sorry that the hallways seem to have put a damper on your stay, but I'm not sure why. Carpeting is all brand new and I'm not sure how we could make those hallways any brighter except maybe increasing the wattage in the light bulbs? Either way, that you for that feedback. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share with us and this is our most valuable tool when identifying areas for improvement. Thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe and happy travels ahead!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a unique internet problem and Jamie at the front desk was exceptionally helpful. She went beyond the call of duty to solve it. For that reason alone, I recommend this place. The rooms were nice and spacious and the rest of the staff accomodating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

The room was sort of small and situated in the back situated directly over large air-conditioning fans for the building, which were extremely loud. There was a window, but the view was of the alley behind the parking garage. Not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thanks for your review, Steve03192014! We apologize that the view and room location were less than desirable - I wish we would have known while you were with us because we probably could have relocated you to somewhere that would have been more enjoyable. We hope our value and location will bring you back to us again and if you do, please contact me at the hotel directly. I will be happy to personally find you a room in a better location. Thank you for staying with us and have a great summer!
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is dated, but they have updated the rooms recently to make it more appealing. There was a wedding reception taking place on the top floor of our tower the night we stayed which meant we were awake until there were done. The hotel staff were warm and friendly, even when pressed about the bass noise from the reception. The hotel was setup poorly originally and the owners appear to be making the best of it. If you can book a night where the reception hall isn't booked, go for it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Eric H, Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Hi Josh & Jessica! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and I am so sorry that you could hear noise from wedding reception! I am glad you found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, but I do wish things could have been better for you. We thank you for staying with us and I hope you both will come stay with us again in the future - give me a call next time you want to book and I'll make sure to keep you away from any social events, alright? Have a great summer and we hope to see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
The Chase Park Plaza
#30 of 121 in Saint Louis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,046 reviews
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!