“I can understand the "Ritz Lite" nickname”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
new york, ny
“I can understand the "Ritz Lite" nickname”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I read in some reviews that this was considered to be a "Ritz Lite" property. I can sort of see that. The service was fantastic and the front desk clerk (I think his name was Kevin?) was outstanding. Really nice and helpful. The female attendant in the gym was also super nice. Our room was okay, but not the nicest or most modern. I think overall what I had a problem with most was that the hotel just seemed kind of shabby.. like it really needed a major overhaul. The pool really does not look as good in person as it does in the pictures- it really shows its age. There was nothing particularly wrong with the place, and like I said, all staff encounters were very pleasant, but the property did not strike me as being quite up to Ritz standards aesthetically.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank cpapa84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was staying in this hotel with my friend on a roadtrip and the hotel was very nice and had an old world charm. On our way to the hotel we got a flat tire and the staff at the front desk were very helpful in calling around to find different tire stores to get it fixed at and parking the car somewhere where it wouldn't need to be moved. The rooms were very spacious and well appointed and we got a very deep sleep here.

The biggest problem with the hotel is the location. It is not near downtown, with limited public transit and there is no nightlife in the area. If you are looking to use the Ritz as a base for exploring St. Louis, there are other hotels which are closer to the downtown area that I would recommend. The only other issue we had while at the hotel was that some of the guests were on the pretentious side and made some comments since my friend and I were both in our 20s. While this is no reflection on the hotel, it is indicative of the guests who stay here- slightly older and white.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott1734
central KY
Reviewed 9 January 2012

lovely hotel with top notch service. staff was extremely friendly and helpful. rooms are beautiful full of top quality furnishings tastefully designed. slept the best in the big comfy bed. nice swim in the morning. only complaint was $22 parking but understand the need. looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BethTW
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed at the Ritz in Clayton while on a business trip. Very classy hotel...room was large and comfortable with a walk out balcony...the weather happened to be 70 degrees in January! So I had the balcony open the entire weekend! When I first got to my room I needed a shirt pressed so I called down to get that done and it was back to me in 10 minutes!! I was also trying to make a reservation at a sushi restaurant but was told by the restaurant that they were booked to capacity.....Kathleen, the hotel concierge, told me that she would try and then called back and said it was all taken care of!!!! Awesome! Clayton is a very nice area of St. Louis with several great restaurants (not the typical box/cookie cutter restaurants) within walking distance. Overall great stay and excellent service

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PointsAddict
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed for our 10 yr Anniversary and found the room to be comfortable and nice. We walked in to find chocolate covered strawberries for the occasion to be a nice touch. Brunch the next morning was good, the restaurant busy as it was a holiday weekend as well. The lobby was packed with people enjoying the band at night and save for some loud guests(not the hotel's fault!) in the hallway for a short time, it was a great stay :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca M
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Can not say enough good things about the Ritz in Clayton, MO. Just finished a three day business conference at the hotel and once again had so many good experiences with staff. The accomodations are top notch and the ambience is hard to beat. My wife and I also stayed their in October for a surprise birthday trip for her and the staff put a big "!" on service. We were greeted at the front desk with a "Happy Birthday", we were greeted stepping off of the elevator with a "Happy Birthday" from staff and there was a birthday card and chocalate covered strawberries for her in the room. I always have "first class service" at the Ritz Carlton in Clayton, MO. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan R
st louis
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for our 9 yr wedding anniversary and had a fabulous time! We usually just stay in the city for our anniversary and my birthday for one night since we live 20 minutes away. This was our first time at the Ritz; we usually stay at the Four Seasons or the Westin. The Ritz definitely has a more traditional feel as opposed to the four seasons which hjas an ultra-modern hip vibe going on. But the decor wasn't shabby or dated;it's just more of the old world heavy wood kind of style. We checked in and were told they upgraded us from a regular room to a suite in honor of our anniversary-so nice! The room was gorgeous and big-flat screens in the livingroom and bedroom-there was a small pseudo-balcony which was nice to see how the temperature was. The bathroom was spacious and nice with separate tub/shower/commode, double sinks. We went out to dinner next door at Araka and had a nice romantic dinner and then came back to the lobby for the band. It was good and quite a few people were dancing-fun to people watch. The next morning(the bed was very comfortable) we went to the champagne brunch which was phenomenal! a must do if you've never experienced it. everything was top notch and the service was fantastic. Oh, we did go down to the work-out area and it was nice-pool was smaller than I expected. Nice changing rooms with showers-more spa like than work-out. There's an attendant on duty to help/hand out towels,too which was nice. Overall, we were very happy and will probably choose the ritz over the four seasons in the future for our little getaways...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carriemom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Downtown
Downtown
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
#8 of 120 in Saint Louis

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!