“Beautiful hotel, pricey”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at the Ritz for a work conference and was pleased with the experience. I don't know a lot about the history of the hotel, but it seems quite old and Victorian. Everything is beautifully decorated and the rooms were very spacious. My room had a balcony but it was directly over the highway. The weather was so nice, I wanted to sleep with the balcony doors open but the noise was a bit intrusive, so I had to close them. The beds were comfy and they provided luxurious robes to use as well. Although the hotel did not have smoking rooms, there was a cigar club location near the lobby and the smoky/musty smell was very strong.

All staff members I encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Always willing to go out of their way to give directions or assist. They had some fruit infused water in the lobby that was quite tasty as well! The food at our conference was very good and they had a big selection of items.

I guess the term "putting on the Ritz" applies as everything is nice but VERY expensive. It is a good thing that my company picked up the tab as I would not have been able to afford to stay at the Ritz for a personal trip. Overall, very nice hotel if you have the means to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here in October, 2013 while working in St. Louis; the hotel was wonderful, particularly at the concierge level, and made the whole trip a vacation. The bed was comfortable, the food excellent and the staff very helpful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great old rooms, excellent housekeeping. nice area to walk around with decent coffee shops and eating. Car valets are efficient. My only problem was the lobby smell. Don't know if it was more smoke or musty smell. The bar and waite staff are very attentive. This hotel is very close to Airport, short drive or not a bad cab ride.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here while visiting Washington University (at the very favorable University nightly rate) and found the staff helpful and the location convenient. It's not a fancy Ritz but a perfectly adequate one. Our room was directly over the highway, which concerned us at first but traffic and noise were not intrusive. Oddities: only one bathrobe in the King bed room. (We had to request another.) The restaurant was closed on Sunday night, and as most St. Louis restaurants are as well, this was inconvenient. However, the staff helped us locate a place for dinner. Finally, the bar prices included a strange $2 surcharge if one ordered a drink EITHER with ice OR without. What?!? Just add $2 to the drink prices! Also note that it can take a while to get a cab. Otherwise, this is a good choice for the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Ritz Carlton in Clayton, near St. Louis is an outstanding hotel. The rooms are of a good size. Service is exceptional and the location is first rate. Although slightly ageing, but then so am I, the standard of the public rooms and the bedrooms is to the highest level. My only criticism would be that the foyer lounge/bar needs some further thought. In a hotel of this calibre the bar should not be a sports bar with noisy TV blaring out the current plavs. Nonetheless, I will return and expect another enjoyable time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I either write a review if I am surprised with awesome experiences or terrible. This happens to be TERRIBLE. We confirmed our room and special requests 4 times in the two weeks before arriving. You walk into this facility, and it stinks like smoke. I asked if you can smoke there, and they said no. Lie #1 - they have a cigar bar. - Lie #2 - Room will be ready by 1:30pm. Nope. 3 pm, room ready. Was it adjoining per the request so we could be with a family member? No. There is lie #3. The fridge were were told would be in there? Lie #4. We have a 1.5 year old with us. He starts to play on the floor. First thing he hands to us? A bottle of prescription pills he found under the bed. He can only reach so far, he is toddler. So we go back down to the lobby to check on the status of the room we were suppose to get and show them the drugs our son has discovered. At that time, my wife calls to let us know he has now found a bunch of empty beer bottles also under the bed. awesome. We decided it was time to go get some lunch and let them get themselves organized. The manager swore he was going to call me and follow up, and apologize to us. whoops, there was lie #5. We had been there less then an hour. I would have packed up and left, but we were there for a family wedding. This hotel maybe is what class and elegance USED to be, but the service, lies and front desk made sure they are no longer a first class hotel, bringing down the Ritz name. Now to be fair, the door men, cleaning ladies and valets were quiet helpful. So i go out to go get some food for the family.... They give me a "map" of local restaurants and there location on the map. Lie #6 - there were only "off" by about 1/3 mile on the place i tried to get to. I did call them and ask for a restaurant suggestion, described where I was, a few blocks away and the lady had no idea how to get me anywhere. I could talk more about the lack of the crib one of my family members received, or the filthy bath tub and mold on the tub/shower door of another family member, the mold and slime on the ice machine, or the VOMIT in the bride and grooms suite, but I will let them write there own reviews if they choose. When in St. Louis, skip the Ritz and stay somewhere else unfortunately.

Room Tip: go to the Crown Plaza a couple of blocks away!