“Good service & large rooms”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This Ritz Carlton is the best option for the area, as there aren't any other luxury hotels in the area. The hotel has age to it, but isn't worn down. Dark woods and classic Victorian decor fill the hotel. If looking for contemporary, this isn't the stop. Like all Ritz Carlton's, the service is excellent. This location has plenty to walk to: restaurants, shopping, salons, etc.

The room was very spacious with a balcony, I had booked just a standard room, and it fit my needs just fine. Again the room has an aged feel, but everything is still well maintained. The room met the standards of what I would expect from a Ritz Carlton.

The lounge wasn't the most lively spot to be in the evening, it seemed to have a crowd that was much older that my girlfriend and I (we're late 20's), there are more trendy spots within a short distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert W

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here and it is an amazing hotel. The service was 5 star and the food was excellent. We were greeted at the front desk by Jasmyn and she was very friendly and made check-in fast and simple. She also arranged for a car service to take us to Ruth's Chris and made a reservation as we did not have one. The hotel room was large and spacious. We stayed in the suite and the two rooms were very nice. The hotel bar was good and I normally do not complain about drinks but one thing I did notice that one small glass of top shelve liquor was 15 dollars, not bad but a little high for the Midwest which usually averages around 10-12$.
Overall this hotel was beautiful and the service was amazing and would recommend this if looking for a 5 star hotel in a nice area in St. Louis.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoshuaIowa
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Wonderful Ritz property -- checked in - and while they may have been slow (winter weather) was upgrated to a suite -- an apartment really --- funishing were first class - decorating very stylish and tasteful. Everything worked - bathroom was enormous - appointments in each room very classy. Service at this location at the top of what you would expect from a RITZ -- every employee made you feel special -- very attentive to detail -- personable and would always inquire if there was anything they could do to improve or make perfect my stay. Had dinner at their fine dining restaurant, The Grill - same amazing and attentive service -- wine list on IPod - very helpful suggestions - food expertly prepared - and reasonably priced. Bar area very nice - which Sushi bar for snacks -- wait staff again excellent. Ritz deserving of it's moniker -- staying at the "Ritz" is like being in the estate home of a very rich uncle.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jeff F
Douglas C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear jsf420,
It was such a pleasure to read the wonderful review of your recent stay at our hotel. I was especially pleased to read that our ladies and gentlemen made your stay so special with their friendly and attentive service.
We are honored to be likened to your “uncle’s estate” with the perfect blend of warmth and elegance. Until the next time we have the pleasure of welcoming you home,
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you're a fan of running water, palatable food, or functioning elevators, I suggest you book a room at the Chase or the Four Seasons during your time in St Louis. I've reluctantly stayed at this Ritz location several times throughout the years, and after my last trip I will never do it again. This property is NOT up to Ritz Carlton standards, especially when it comes to customer service.

Room Tip: Sleep in your rental car.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MissElizabethE
Douglas C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear MissElizbethE,
Thank you for sharing comments about your recent stay with. I apologize that this experience included several problems as well as missed opportunities to recover from these challenges. We strive hard to provide an experience filled with positive memories. We obviously missed the mark this time. If you feel it appropriate, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. I may be reached at (314)863-6300.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great and attentive service which I would expect from the Ritz group, - my only gripe is that in spite of several requests the billing was wrongly handled and this made the check out lengthy and hard work, especially at 5am!
The front desk staff (one person at that time) tried very hard to correct but it is so very unnecessary and just indicates that there needs to be proper liaison between reservations and front desk, or that the reservation info is correctly entered!
Having said that the service and the rooms were beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pheephox
Reviewed 3 March 2014

For the past eight years I have taken my family to high tea on Sunday afternoon a minimum of four times a year. The hotel is elegant and the service was always delightful as Alice officiated high tea on Sundays. She is very skilled at the art of tea. The reservationist was also very helpful, polite, and accommodating. Starting with Summer 2013, the food has been diminished to stale and tasteless. It is obvious that the fair is made well in advance as the bread is stale and the scones, madelaines, etc. are hard and appear to be leftovers. However, we still preserved as it is a tradition. I called to make reservations for March 2 and was informed that they no longer serve tea on Sundays. Kelly took the reservation and it sounded as if she was also washing dishes while a crew of sailors cursed and made merriment in the background. I asked if the discontinuation of Sunday tea was temporary and all she could say is, "We only have tea on Saturdays." After the third attempt to ascertain if this was a temporary change, I gave up.
We arrived for tea. Our server was Lorena. She was very hard to understand and appeared to be very nervous. She immediately complained that she needed help as it was very crowded. She had three tables. As it was my daughters birthday she brought the tea and a birthday brownie with a candle. It was a nice touch had it come at the appropriate time. A manager came out with a tiered stand that held three plates of food. He held one in each hand and was swinging them back and forth as he walked to the table. Unprofessional, unappetizing, and just plain tacky. Our tea went cold as we had not seen our server for over 45 minutes. I went looking for her and had no luck finding anyone after ten minutes. The concierge finally appeared at his station. I was headed towards him when Lorena finally arrived and asked if we were ready to go and needed to go boxes. When I explained we were not done with tea and would like hot tea, she seemed disappointed. We had barely been there an hour of which we spent most of the time waiting for our food. I think she felt bad because she offered each of us a jar of jam with the bill. One jar didn't even have a label on it so we aren't even sure what it is or how old it is. The hotel lobby bathroom was also filthy. I've seen cleaner bathrooms at the airport. I would also think that in 8 years the chef could find some different recipes for savories and sweets as the other fine hotels change their tea selections seasonally. To its credit, I can say that the valet staff were lovely and retrieved our car in a timely manner. We won't be going back to the Ritz in St. Louis. Despite it being a 5 hour trip we will head to the Peabody in Memphis for our quarterly high tea. They definitely need to make Alice their exclusive tea server as she understands the art, get a new chef, and have a chat with the staff about customer service. Especially, Kelly in reservations. A very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms I've stayed in have been nice. I haven't heard any complaints regarding the ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank angelica t

Dear anelica t,
I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share feedback on your experience with our High Tea this past weekend. My apologies that this tea service was not up to par with what you have previously experienced. The detailed comments you have provided offer a great opportunity for me and the culinary team to review our High Tea and ensure we are meeting the standards you have come to expect from us.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about Alice. She is a great ambassador for us and it will be a pleasure to share your praise. Your loyalty through the past 5 years is genuinely appreciated and I hope you will allow us an opportunity to regain your confidence. I would welcome the chance to personally speak with you about your experience and may be reached at (314)863-6300.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Everyone at this hotel is incredible. We had to leave early due to an upcoming snow storm and the front desk was pleasant and accommodating to every panicked guest. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ccv352
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
#11 of 122 in Saint Louis
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!