“Single Rider zero to hero”

Adventure Rider Centre
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I can't say enough good things about Adventure Rider Centre - ARC.

A friend had pestered me to give the ARC a call. I emailed Kaz (co owner) She was dead helpful throughout and happily answered every bone question I had.

I have never ridden an Enduro bike before (road only) so have no kit and no idea what I should do. The ARC provided me with everything I needed to get there and ride safely and have a flippin laugh to boot.

I went out on my own and booked 4 days riding over a 6 day period. They are totally flexible. You can come for 1 day or 10 days. They will meet your needs. Days off in between - no problem.

I went on my own and ended up riding with loads of different groups - a group of 5 swedes, two Danes, an ex pat Brit and anther drop in Brit. I never felt awkward or an embuggerance and the other clients were great fun too.

For me, ARCs unique selling point is that EVERYBODY, staff and clients, were welcoming and inclusive regardless of ability and as I found out by seeing other outfits in the area, ARC gave you training, instruction and the groups were never too big (biggest I had was 7 - smallest was 4)

So in detail

Access:

Mijas is about a 20 minute drive from Malaga airport - ARC put on a shuttle. A busy but authentic Spanish village that's far enough from the Costa to be free of tackiness but still close enough to have a beach day on any days off (30 minutes on a bus that cost about £2).

Accommodation:

I stayed in the local 4* hotel. Brilliant place and everyone speaks English for us lazy Brits. Great food, wonderful pool and tasty hoppy beverages - oh and it's all included in the price you pay the ARC (not the beer though!). A daily shuttle (kaz) will take you from the hotel to the centre. The Village has every kind of restaurant and amenity you could need. It also has a castle and a bullring so it's not a small place.

The Bikes:

At the time of Writing this, the ARC has the latest Husabergs 250 2 stroke up to 500 4 stroke and everything inbetween. The on site mechanic (Dave) is brilliant -your bike will be set up first thing and serviced after every day. For a know nothing like me, I picked up a lot.

The Kit:

You'll need your own socks, base layers and a camel back. They will provide you with everything else and generally, straight out the packet so no stinky helmets! I took a couple of sizeable tumbles and the worst I managed was a sore elbow so the kit is good.

The Staff:

Baz is the lead instructor / guide and Danni was my principal teacher (like I said, I went from zero). Both guys are excellent instructors and guides. They taught me everything I needed and when I wanted to push my ability, they explained what I had to do and were extremely patient when I didn't manage the route the first time. They're both Ninjas on bikes and can help anyone of any ability.

Kaz is the primary administrator but she rides too. She'll sort out everything you need for your trip.

The Area:

God above! If you find the area around Mijas and Malaga dull, I'd be amazed. There is everything from flowing trails to uber-nails technical riding and every combination for every skill level. Baz and Danni know all the good haunts and everything is really close by.

Dear reader, I'm not gilding the lily here. My 5 days (I took another day during the week) with the ARC were hard because I pushed myself and everyone helped me along but they were incredible and I will be going back again soon. Brilliant memories.

2  Thank R0bL14

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went to Mijas for 1 week on 19th May and it was too short. I travelled with my husband and parents so my husband could go off roading for three days and he loved it. The arrangements made prior to going was all done is a perfect and professional manner and it gives you great confidence when all goes smooth and that this company knows what they are doing.

Kaz met us at the airport and straight away we felt like we had known her for a long time. She is so friendly and was full of information right from meeting us. My parents who are in their seventies were included in all conversations so it was not just only about the rider, the whole family was made very welcome.

We were taken to the Mijas hotel which is in a perfect location, much nicer than the coast, again alot of thought put in to this place to make it all enjoyable. Kaz picks up riders and leaves them back everyday which is so organised and I was invited one morning to the centre to see the riders off. This is such a lovely touch as once again the family are included.

My husband has been with two other companies in this area before but The Adventure Rider Centre is by far the best. The knowledge, the bikes, the clothing and the friendliness of Baz, Kaz and the team will certainly make us want to return again. This was certainly a family holiday for us and not just a few days off roading for my husband.

2  Thank smiler552
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It is a bit hard to write a review about Adventure Rider Centre in Mijas - in short everything was above expectation and I cannot think of any negatives.
Starting off the accommodation was comfortable, well located, in the centre of Mijas.
The way I was treated by everyone at ARC was excellent at no point did I ever feel like just a customer.
The kit provided was top notch virtually brand new Klim gear, force field armour and Alpinestars boots.
Then you get to the bikes - a fleet of Husaberg bikes - take your pick.
Friendly instructive and well balanced tuition and guiding from Baz & Dani, and cracking riding over all sorts of terrain - long trails, tricky climbs , densely vegetated jungle runs, mountain tops you name it they seem to have it all.
Overall 100% and well above expectations.

2  Thank Will B
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having sampled other trail riding companies in the area i have to say The Adventure Rider Centre is by far THE best in the business.
And having sampled the best i have been back several times, it really is that good.
Having read the other (3) reviews they all sound like perfect adverts but that it how it is in reality. Many companies cannot deliver what they promise but you got none of that with Baz and Kaz, they deliver complete professionalism without any stuffiness, everything has been thought of and it is one very slick organisation.
Being picked up by Baz or Kaz and not just a driver or by taxi is just the start, i was taken to a fabulous hotel in Mijas, a white walled town just up into the hills, to get yourself settled in.
The real fun stars the next day, picked up from the hotel, a quick 5 minute transfer to The Adventure Rider Centre and you're in rider heaven...i certainly was
I got to chose the best of what is available be worn and ridden, Alpinestars , Klim , Forcefield, it doesn't get better than this and it's all in perfect condition, none of the cheap rubbish that had been on offer elsewhere.
I got to pick my bike from a stunning lineup of impressively prepared bikes, a quick fiddle later to tailor the levers etc to my liking and off we went.
Baz will very quickly guage how experienced you are and somehow seems to find the perfect hills to challenge you with, enough to make you work for it without it being too tough . He knows the area like the back of his hand, pulling out trails where you can't see any and pointing out others that will be waiting for next time (some really tough ones).
The rest stops/lunch time always deliver good food and with water replenished in your backpack it's off yet again to sample the trails. Baz gives out tips without being big headed or condescending which again is better than what i have sampled previously, a great boost when you haven't quite got your technique sussed or you're having a bad 5 minutes.
Back at ARC Kaz magically appears with cold drinks and gets to hear all about your fantastic day.
Unfortunately at some point the fun stops and that's when you're dropped off at the airport. I will be back for more excellent adventures after sampling it many times in the past.

2  Thank stu m
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Anyone who's been on a trail riding holiday before will be able to pick out one or two things that they did perfectly. Awesome trails, or good kit. Cheap prices or friendly guides. Easy to get to or flexible dates.

Where the Adventure Rider Centre differ is that they've packed all of it into one place. I can't emphasize how good this place is. Loads of flights from all over the UK get you into Malaga Airport where you'll be met off the plane in a clean, well maintained van. A 20 minute drive will get you too Mijas, an archetypal Spanish mountain village of white washed villas and excellent restaurants. Good start. Next morning it's off to Ka and Baz's villa where you'll be kitted out. All the kit is less than 12 months old and in excellent condition. Clean and in top condition they're stocking a dream list of kit. Klim kit head to ankle and Tech 3's to protect your toes from those rocky trails.

Looking like a pro rider, it'd be a shame to climb on a beaten up old Jap dualie. However, prepare for some serious garage envy. A full line up of brand new Husaberg trail bikes await you. Fancy a spin on the new FE350? No problem. A nice light nippy 250? Sorted. Perhaps you're more used to riding strokers. Also covered. Big bloke who needs a big bike? 501 is big enough for anyone. All clean, perfectly maintained and ready to go. Now you just need the riding skills to go with your pro look.

If you're already David Knight, then you're in for a treat. The Mijas area is covered in some awesome riding. Seriously. Have a look at the photos in the gallery. Most trail riding holiday websites will show you the best bits, and there'll be a bit of road work in between. ARC's gallery shows you 1% of what is out there. The riding really doesn't get better than this. When Graham Jarvis (world hard enduro specialist) is coming here to ride, you know it's going to be good.

However, we're not all that good. Some of us spend more time off the bike than on it. This is where Baz steps in. Friendly, calm and professional he'll soon work out where your comfort zone is, and then tailor the ride to suit. Not to say it'll be easy. Baz will have you riding things you didn't think you'd be able by the end of the first day. A couple of days into your holiday you'll be David Knight. Well, maybe not, but you will definitely walk away at the end of your trip amazed at what you've managed to do and with a real sense of satisfaction.

So all this is going to cost you, right? Nope. You'll pay about the same as any other competitor on the south coast of Spain. Baz and Kaz have hit the perfect recipe. Awesome kit, awesome bikes, awesome people. It really doesn't get better than this.

2  Thank Gareth A