“Worst Hotel Experience. EVER.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Worst Hotel Experience. EVER.”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Like most everyone else said, the staff was very friendly. However, that does not make up for the AWFUL hotel that this place is. I stayed in a single-bed room at the hotel for one night and it was the worst hotel experience I've ever encountered/heard of. When we got into the room, it was FILLED with the smell of smoke, we could hardly even breathe!! Even though there were signs in the room that said "no smoking" they clearly were not big enough. At least, if someone had broken the rules, the cleaning people should have tried to get the smoke out of there. We had to buy air fresheners, it was so bad. But those still didn't work. The smoke got so bad that I woke up early the next morning and puked due to the amount of smokey air i was breathing in throughout the night.
Other problems:
- The top of the door didn't shut all the way- that's how warped it was. We got bursts of cold air from the outside all night and since we were on the first floor right in the parking lot, we could hear every person that walked by that night- and let me tell you, drunk people are NOT quiet.

- There was brown stains all over the sheets and pillows, we had to buy ourselves new pillows and didn't sleep on the sheets. So nasty!

- The carpet looked like it had never been cleaned. Under our bed there were so many crumbs and pretzels, it looked like the cleaning lady shoved the dirt under there so she wouldn't have to vacuum.

-Speaking of the cleaning lady, she came to our room at 7 AM banging on the door trying to get in to clean. After we told her to come back AFTER we left, we heard her go door-to-door down the rest of the complex yelling into people's rooms at the top of her lungs.

- No Wifi, you need an ethernet cord to use the internet.

- The shower head was so low that my 5-foot frame barely fit under it.

There were SO many other things that went wrong with the hotel, this list is just to name a few. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS HOTEL!!!! It may be super cheap, but spend a little extra money and go to a Super 8 or something, it would have been so much nicer.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!!! This was the biggest dump I've ever been in.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TraveLovin101
James R, General Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your response. We are happy to hear the staff was friendly and attentive during your stay. I want to apologize for all of the maintenance issues with your room. We have recently been renovating the property and will be fixing the problems immediately. We thank you for your comments and will ensure we fix the problems for future stays. We hope you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is literally the best stay ever. The service people were very nice and informative, the room was really cheap (1 bed is the same as 2, 45 dollars I think), rooms were super clean, and cable was provided as well as a giant tv, small microwave and fridge. Also, a standard breakfast was included the next morning.

This was a palace compared to our later stays, 80 dollars with no breakfast and slow internet.

Oh, and it's very easy to get to. Take Providence and head north. Past I70 and it will be on your right.

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the first floor, 10 steps away from the service room. It's quiet, clea...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear your stay in our suite on the first floor was satisfactory and our staff made you feel at home. Feel free to stop in the next time you are in the area!
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed in over half a dozen hotels in Columbia, Missouri and this is the one I would heartily recommend . Relatively new owners and management who are very friendly and are really working hard - great service, super value and they are people and animal friendly. Best value in town for folks with pets - plus the best free breakfast - coffee all day long - great lobby area with computer and big screen cable TV . It is close to good restaurants and bus lines plus a safe comfortable atmosphere. The difference between this hotel and some recent other hotels is night and day - you are made to feel like family.

Room Tip: just tell them what you need they do have nice handicap rooms and very nice affordable suites
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. We are glad you felt at home while you were staying at our property in our suites and that your pet could come along too! Definitely stop by and say hi the next time you are in the area!
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed with a group of people. Each room had an issue.. The person at the front desk did his best to try to help out but the housekeeping staff did not show up to work that day so this poor guy was trying to do everything with no help from the manager. The beds were made but had no sheets on the. The rooms that did have sheets had dirty sheets. When i got home from my stay there, i developed a terrible skin rash and had to seek medical attention.

The rooms were dirty and needed to be updated.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 49k
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Had a pleasant experience. Staff was friendly and rooms clean.

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear your stay met the needs of you and your family while in Columbia. Hope to see you again soon!
Nubeena, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I could have been severely disappointed here. But I had 20% so paid less than $40 a night. So I am not gonna complain. As a result I think we were given the smallest worst room in the complex. It was on the left hand side of the building behind the pool from the lobby. It was on the end before the back building. The size was miniscule. The beds were both against the wall on the right and left side (double beds) there was a large table the tv was on and fridge and microwave next to that. Then a open closet area next to the bathroom. Not much room to move. Quite cramped for a family with two small children. It has been recently brushed up with some paint etc. Big baddy was we returned in the afternoon to find our door left unlocked by who I assume was the housekeeping staff. Thankfully nothing was missing. Beds were not comfortable for me.... so I was up at 6am and just took advantage of the lovely breakfast area to read while the rest of the family slept. Breakfast was nice for the price. Staff were predominantly college students so there wasn't much enthusiasm. But nothing glaring considering it's just a job to get them through and not a career in hospitality. And I got a toilet plunger soon after I asked for one, which is always nice. But I had to do the plunging LOL. I think next time I need to stay in Columbia I will check out the red roof inn across the street.

Room Tip: Check your room out before you accept it.... not sure if they are all small like the one we got. But...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Moundville, MO
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Dirty! Dirty! Dirty! Room so small there was not room for a chair. Blankets old with cigarette burn holes in them. Comforters so old and dirty we didn't want them nor the blankets on the bed. We turned up the heat and used only the sheets. No chair to sit so we went to bed early and left early in the morning. Found a grasshopper in my bed. There was at least 3/4 inch space around the outside door. Weather stripping was gone. The room had a horrible odor. My husband and I both had stopped up heads all night. We slept very little. I had no idea there were such dirty hotel rooms for rent. We mistakenly booked through hotels.com. Never again! Don't stay here! It was football week-end and we paid $128 for one night. Not cheap price! Certainly not a good value!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple