“The Place to Stay in Columbia”
Review of The Tiger Hotel

The Tiger Hotel
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Alicante, Spain
“The Place to Stay in Columbia”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

First and foremost, if you're going to come to Columbia, stay at the Tiger. The location is the best in town since it's in the middle of downtown with all the best restaurants, bars, and the Mizzou campus, within walking distance. Inside, the hotel was absolutely gorgeous. I loved the fact they kept the old lamps from when the hotel was built in the twenties, especially in the large ballroom they have. At the same time, I was really impressed though that the rooms were very modern, we especially had too much fun playing with the electric blinds. The bathrooms were also huge and very, very nice. The atmosphere really can't be beat, you feel like you're really visiting somewhere special in Columbia, but also staying somewhere really fun.

That being said, they don't have a pool, but they do have a gym and great quick room service. We ate lunch at the cafe attached to the hotel, called the Velvet Cupcake, and it was delicious. The cafe is called the Velvet Cupcake because of the huge and amazing cupcakes they specialize in. We were sure to each get a different flavor of cupcake and taste many different ones. My favorite was definitely the tiramisu, although admittedly the red velvet was great too.

The staff was also very nice and friendly. I was relieved to find they had valet service, so no looking for a parking spot downtown.

All in all, I really enjoyed this hotel. It just can't be beat in Columbia, and I know this from experience. I'm looking forward to when I get to come back (and try more cupcakes of course).

Room Tip: The rooms at the very top on the 9th floor have the most spectacular views of Columbia.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmilyLynnK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Unfortunately we only were able to spend one night at The Tiger Hotel. What a great old hotel downtown Columbia, MO. The hotel was built in 1928, but all the room have very recently been completely renovated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful. Loved everything about it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The Tiger Hotel is in a great location for visiting University and the uptown area of Columbia, all within easy walking distance. The room we stayed in was on the top floor and very quiet. Although on the pricey side, I would stay there again. Valet parking is in a garage across the street. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.

The coffee shop on the ground floor is small and the pastry and coffee we had for breakfast was only so-so. Skip it and find something else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Recently stayed at the Tiger and can't say enough about the experience. The location is perfect whether visiting campus or staying for business purposes. You can actually park your car and walk to just about anywhere you want to go. Shopping, restaurants and nite life are all a few steps away. The staff and management made every moment special and really made us feel As if we were the only guest. The accommodations were excellent and I would compare our room to some of the suites we frequent in Las Vegas. The view was excellent and look forward to visiting after the new restaurant opens in October.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I typically stay at the x or z chain to get the points but I often make an exception in this town and stay at the Tiger. You can walk to most of the better places to eat or even to campus. Parking is on the street to or valet but I always find a spot very close. There is also a bar/restaurant on premise that is quite good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank XSmojo
Cincinnati
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our first stay while touring Univ of Missouri was great. On our second stay during the summer welcome program our stay was good. Our last stay while dropping our son off at college was not stellar whatsoever from cleanliness to service. We had our 15 year old daughter with us and she refuses to stay there again.

Firstly, upon pulling down the comforter, my daughter noticed brownish marks on the sheets and pillowcases. We called the front desk and they sent some sheets up. Notice I did not say they fixed the bed/problem. They handed me the sheets and left so that we had to change them ourselves and leave a pile of dirty sheets in the corner. (Marriott would never let a customer change the sheets!) Whatever, I did it even though it was midnight and I was beyond exhausted.

Secondly, when I woke up, there was a hunk of granola stuck to my leg. A) We had not eaten in the bed. B) I hadn't had granola or an oat of any kind. The optimist in me told my daughter that the brown marks on the sheet probably weren't blood, but I'm hoping that housekeeping was eating a granola bar while cleaning our room. While still kind of gross, that thought was better than other thoughts going through my mind.

The best attributes of this hotel is that it is newly renovated, thus, looks very fresh and clean. It is really, really close to the University. They have an amazing drink in the basement bar called Dirty Money - and I don't drink Gin, but it's worth it.

Our next stays are at the Wyngate and the Hilton Garden Inn in Columbia. We may be back to the Tiger Inn, but we're definitely exploring now.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kwilger
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I made the dreaded trek to Columbia to drop off our first born at College. The Tiger Hotel is a gem in downtown Columbia, close to anything on campus, and within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. Exceptionally clean with very large bathrooms! We forgot toothpaste and within minutes there was a knock on the door bringing it to us. Shortly after my son "wished' for some cold milk to have with an evening dessert, so he went down to inquire and they told him they would have some up to him. Sure enough, the second knock on the door was a chilled glass of milk! Exceptional service, would highly recommend, and am looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family