“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Creve Coeur
Kansas City, Missouri
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I made a reservation to stay at the Hotel Extended Stay America on Lackland Road which is just down the street from the Craig road location. I made my reservation over a month in advance. On the day I was due to arrive at the hotel I was informed through a phone call that the hotel did not have enough rooms available for my party! At this point I was very irritated. The phone call came at 3:30 in the afternoon and I was about 45 minutes away from the hotel. She proceeded to tell me that they would be splitting my party up-one room would be at the Lackland location and the other room would be at the Craig road location. I became very irritated at this time-I had never even heard of a hotel trying to do such a thing before and that was not going to work for us. After several minutes of explaining why that was not going to work, I finally got her to find two rooms at the Craig location. This all would have been great..until a staff member at the Craig location called and said they were going to give the rooms away because we had not made a reservation at that hotel and there were guests showing up that needed the rooms! We were stuck in an accident on the highway at this point and had not yet arrived at the Craig location. The staff member said that she would call me back after speaking to her manager. I never received a call back. When I called the Craig hotel back to inquire about the situation I spoke to an even ruder staff member who claimed that she had no idea what I was talking about. She very rudely said that no reservation had been transferred to that hotel and demanded the reservation number. By this time I was seriously considering just staying at another hotel. I called the staff member at Lackland road who seemed exasperated with the situation and she said that she would call the Craig road hotel. Luckily they seemed to work it out and they had two rooms ready for us when we finally arrived.

While the hotel itself was not bad I would definitely not stay there again. The level of customer service and quality of professionalism was ridiculous!

Room Tip: Be aware of the continental breakfast-it was very sparse.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank richardson04
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that the original hotel that you had booked your reservations at was unable to accommodate your reservation and the hotel on Craig Road added to the confusion of having to be moved to a different hotel. I am going to follow up with both hotels to ensure that this type issue does not happen again in the future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tschwab@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Streator, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

The check-in process was not good because the night shift worker did not understand that I had a discount and since I was paying cash I wanted to make sure I was still getting the discount. Once the check-in situation was figured out that was that. I had to get my keys fixed all 3 nights because I could not get into my room. I just needed a cheap place to stay and I found it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the check in process was not good for you and that your key was not holding its program. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am personally going over all discount procedures with all of my front desk staff. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tschwab@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Wichita, Kansas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I checked out early this morning. My 3 months was up yesterday and I forgot let hotel know I was extending for another night. The front desk lady called and asked me rudely if I was checking out and I aked her if I can have another night and she hesitated and then said yes. (I have stayed with Extended Stay Hotel chains once every year on a monthly basis and I always get the best rate available) I was staying at the hotel on a monthly basis. Stayed over 3 months and needed just one more night on my stay and the hotel made me pay extra on that 1 extra day than my monthly rate. Made no sense, so I switched to a different hotel for the remainder of visit which is another 3 months. Will not be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: This is an "extended stay hotel" so rates are based on length of stay guaranteed. No con...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Erick S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
I recently received a copy of your review about our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I truly understand your aggravation and the inconvenience you experienced. The circumstances you have detailed are, of course, unacceptable and highly regrettable. It is our goal to provide a pleasant and relaxing environment where our guests can feel at home when they’re away from home. And we recognize that in order to achieve that goal, we must provide outstanding service.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

I am a travel nurse my company set me up in this place. This place is horrible. Blood stained sheets filthy cooking stove nasty stained blanket. It's suppose to be a newly remodeled room. The bathroom tub has chronic mold and mildew around it. I don't blame my agency for this it's just like anything else when making reservations you don't know what you got until you get there. I am not staying my agency is working on getting me OUT OF HERE ASAP. I do not recommend this place it's nasty and people are fighting down the hall and the whole place smells like a barn and I don't have that great of a sniffer so I can imagine what smells like for a person with a good nose.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank travel_rnfa
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Studio Plus St. Louis - Westport. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked a basic room at a Studio Plus in St. Louis, specifically non smoking for 3 nights roughly 5 days before the arrival date. While I'm driving to St. Louis I got several calls from Studio Plus. The first call said that they had changed my reservation to a sister property, Extended Stay America and gave me the address. No problem, I wrote down the address and reprogrammed the GPS. At that point I was still 400 miles away. An hour later I got a voice mail from the same person saying that they found someone checking out and moved me back to the StudioPlus site. I didn't trust this so I called and got some else at the property and that person said that no, this was not correct, I was still rebooked at the 2nd property. I confirmed that this was a non smoking room, guy says yes. OK, no problem. 7 hours later, roughly, I arrive at the property. Yes, they have my reservation but they don't have any non smoking rooms and none of the properties in their ENTIRE ST. LOUIS chain have non smoking rooms available..... so i calmly ask what they are going to do.... and the very nice counter lady says that there is nothing that they can do.... so I calmly ask to have her cancel my reservation and when she is done ask her for the internet key so that I can sit in their parking lot, at 7PM, and find another hotel to stay at. btw, I do roughly 150 nights per year in hotel stays... so much for this chain.... 2 strikes after a 550 mile drive means you lose...

Room Tip: stay at another chain
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark S
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Mark,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Studio Plus St. Louis - Westport. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I am eager to address your particular concern in this forum. Our hotel is a favorite accommodation for business and leisure travelers who are staying any number of nights. Occasionally, we get an influx of guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. In most cases, our reserve rooms are sufficient to absorb this increased demand. However, in very rare circumstances, like yours, we don't have the room types to accommodate every guest's preference. For that reason, we list your bed/smoking preference on your reservation but are unable to guarantee it. Of course, we will continue to make every effort in our power to honor your room preference.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that we were not able to accommodate you, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The only reason that I gave this facility a rating of "one" is that TripAdvisor does not allow a rating of "zero." The only word that comes to mind while staying at this facility is HORRIBLE!!! By the way, when I phoned the facility directly to inquire before booking online, I was told that the "front door" locks at 11pm -- what they failed to tell me is that the "back door" has NO locking mechanism on the door whatsoever (NOT even a latch is in place on that door)!

The ONLY good thing I can say is that the staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Yankee-Views
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

The service is great, the room is just the right size and is awesome. Great location. Desk people are helpful and friendly. There's a gas and convenience store near by, and so many sights to see.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BlueSkies2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creve Coeur
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Comfort Inn Westport
Comfort Inn Westport
#5 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Central

Been to Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road? Share your experiences!