“Everything and More”
Review of Wagon Wheel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuba
Wagon Wheel Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cuba
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our first stop on Route 66 and one not to be missed. Charming room, impeccable property, warm and welcoming staff. Absolutely loved it and will be a repeat customer. My only regret is not taking photographs to share.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Ideal for a romantic getaway with your someone special. We stayed in bungalow 24 with a queen bed & remarked several times how quaint & cozy it was! $68 a night gets you a queen bed, flat screen tv, bistro table & two chairs, sink & outdoor seating area. I have a horrible back & was quite comfortable on the bed. Unbelievable value for such a darling bungalow! Quiet location. Close to shopping & dining. We have been searching high & low for a romantic getaway that is affordable & close by & now we've found it!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Upon arrival, we were told that our air-conditioner was broken (in August), so we asked for a refund for our group. The owner refused. She would only refund our one room. As a result, we were forced to stay elsewhere and couldn't spend time together as a group like we had planned. I tried to reason with the owner but she grew very hostile, and finally shouted at me, "the air conditioner is going to cost me $6,000 to fix! (as if I care) I can't afford to refund those rooms!" I finally told her that if she would not refund our rooms, I would be forced to post a bad review on the internet. As soon as the words left my mouth, a powder keg exploded. She pointed at the door and shouted, "GET OUT! JUST GET OUT OF HERE!"
Shocked, I turned to leave, but the door opened and the owners friend stepped inside. The owner was still screaming at me to leave and this must have inspired her friend because he stepped towards me like he was going to physically remove me.
I went outside, got in my car, but it was too late. The fury had grown inside of me until I snapped. I got out of the car and told her friend to come outside and put his hands on me. My wife couldn't believe I was standing in the street calling this guy out, (because I'm not a hostile person by nature) so she went inside to see what was going on and the owner was on the phone calling the cops! LOL (I know...unreal, but true)
Our incident at the Wagon Wheel Motel was the most bizarre and infuriating thing that I have ever experienced as a customer anywhere in my life. If you risk staying at the Wagon Wheel, understand that there are no refunds, and if you attempt to obtain a refund for any reason (like if its August and the air-conditioner in your room is broken), you not only will fail to get your money back, but you might get screamed at and threatened with physical force. If that sounds like something you might enjoy, by all means book a room. If not, just stay in a cabin down by the river, or at the Super 8 where they have free breakfast :)
Seriously, the owner at the Wagon Wheel either needs to attend anger management courses or choose another line of work.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank sixdeep357
wagonette, Owner at Wagon Wheel Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

The air conditioner was struck by lightning the night before, not just broke. He was offered and given a full refund and also allowed to come back on the property to be with his group, none of which wanted to leave or a refund on his account. On his arrival he wanted someone else's room, even in his own group because he said he arrived first. He was obviously under the influence and threatening from the start, implying we had substandard air units, which is when the cost of the unit was mentioned. He was ranting at me in the office when I told him to leave, banging on the front door yelling at my friend etc.and making obscence jestures like a spoiled child, and that is when I called the police. We do not tolerate that type of behavior on our property and it was a very big consideration to allow him back to be with his group and only because one of them asked and said there would be no more problems.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have wanted to stay at the Wagon Wheel since its refurbishment and we were not disappointed. Our room was exceptionally clean, very comfortable, air conditioning worked perfectly, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I used the wifi without problem. Beautiful old neon sign is still working. Definitely call for a reservation, as they are typically full (we got the last vacancy). Our room was smaller than you might find in a typically chain, but that is typical of the time period in which the motel was built.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I found out about this place from a local diner. Extremely clean.... reasonable. .. beautifully maintained. .... not modernized completely but just enough "21st century" to make it pleasant. It's restored but it even still has the original glass door knobs on the original doors.

The place "......reeks with atmosphere!" The only thing it needs to make the "time travel" part complete would be if it had a Philco Predicta television that didn't work!

It's the oldest continually operating motel on the Historic Route 66 system. Good wifi. Strong signal and data streaming. Good enough for Netflix.

Another little charm is the neon sign. It faces the wrong direction. R66 was one-way (eastbound) in this area when it was built in the 1930s. If you're headed westbound it's easy to miss. Especially at dusk before the sign is turned on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our room was very comfortable although small, but it is true to the period it was built. Very charming and simple . Would highly recommend for Route 66 travelers. We loved the atmosphere and gift shop.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Traveled from Chicago to Cuba,Mo on Rt 66 to see the Rocking chair in Fanning.
We decided to stay here last minute with a budget set for our travels. It was a great choice. Affordable and the rooms are Nice,CLEAN,beds are comfortable and updated with some yesteryears entwined in the rooms and in the property.
We loved all of it!! rooms are not huge, bathrooms are not big, table, chairs and coffeepot in room. Enough space for 4.
We came for the experience of the history that still lives in the Wagon Wheel Cabin/Motel. If your a true 66er you will enjoy this charming place,
We stayed in room 12. She is green with envy and has cool headboards.
Highly suggested for 66ers. xoxo

Room Tip: Stayed in Rm 12, sits back off the main road Very quiet and peaceful A table w/2 chairs coffee p...