“Do not stay here! Worst holiday ever for so many reasons.”

Robinson Crusoe Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Likuri Island
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Do not stay here! Worst holiday ever for so many reasons.”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Do not stay here unless you're looking for a holiday camp experience. Island is very small & there's nowhere you can go to escape the loud music & repetitive activities. On 1st day the lady receptionist asked what the limit was on my credit card (I'm not kidding - she actually did!) and was quite rude! Wanted to relax but that was impossible. Daytrippers come to the island 5 days a week, take all hammocks & beach space. Manager even admitted they pay more than actual guests when we told him we felt like 2nd class citizens as we were treated so differently. The other 2 days staff do repairs (painting, loud DIY). Still nowhere to sit & no peace anywhere! Tried to use pool but ladder was broken. Even children had difficulty getting in & out of it. Swam in the sea & found it dirty due to recent flooding. Our Bure Levu had no "ceiling fan": had a tiny, noisy portable fan screwed to the wall which moved no air & provided no cooling. Very limited choice of food, no alternative menu and no "room service". On the 1st day my partner stated (when asked) she could not eat red meat. Some of the nights red meat was the only option. Other nights the 2 options were both curry! There is a daily welcoming Kava ceremony where male staff make lecherous comments at female guests. At one point a family with 2 children got up & walked away they were so horrified. We refused to partake in this after the 1st night. After 3 days out of the 7 we had booked we both felt fed up & miserable. We got a partial refund from the owner who said he "didn't want us" there as he admitted "its not for you" (couples & anyone over 30 take note!) and we left. Getting off the island was the best part of the holiday.
Also, you cannot stay here for the advertised price as there is a compulsory meal plan which is almost as much as the cost of the accomodation (was actually more for us as the meal plan is per person) so bear that in mind when choosing accomodation. This place is not as cheap as advertised.
We were totally mis-sold our holiday. The facts as stated on the website we booked with did not match our experience. Some very crucial information was either missing or just plain wrong (i.e. no ceiling fan in room, no room service, photos of an enclosed bar and of a golf course on the island - neither of which are actually on the island, the main photo of the island made it look bigger and quieter than it really is). If this island had been advertised as only good for backpackers and divers then there would be no problem but the site did not make it clear that there is no room to have any other kind of experience here. His website still claims it is a family friendly experience. Strongly disagree with this based on our experience - don't waste your money, book somewhere else.

Room Tip: You don't want to go here. Honestly!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank m4pl3
rcisland, Owner at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
I am sorry these guests did not get what we do at Robinson & did not enjoy The Robinson Crusoe Experience however i feel the need to explain the negative comments as i looked after the guests myself . Firstly I had noticed the guests did not look happy and were not including themselves in any of our wonderful activities on day one & I had asked if all was alright the answer i received was YES I thought the same on day 2 I asked again YES was the answer but on day 3 they came to me with the complaints( by the way) the Author of the complaint did not say a word to me it was his wife stating that they had just come off a extended work posting in Hong Kong putting up with crowds & thought we would not be as busy as it was . I could feel the Island was not for them and made suggestions as to where was more for them I phoned the resort manager got the price they agreed so i refunded all remaining nights,organized a free transfer & pick up and phoned the manager / friend to see if they were enjoying their stay (they were) GREAT
Now for the complaints 1) Our beautiful Island paradise is 28 acres and the resort is on 2 and a beautiful beach surrounds the island (plenty of room for solitude). 2) The lectures comment is ICU BABY also for male guests made in fun enjoyed by most I am sorry if we offended. 3) Our website clearly states Golf is at Natodola at the world class VJ Sign course 5 mins from our Tuva River Jetty. 4) Our room rates are clearly stated & our Great Value Budget Packages are room only and a Value meal plan applies.5)Our Meal Plan MENU is on the website with daily meals however specials can be done if requested in this case if we did not we are sorry 6) The pool ladder was promptly repaired as part of our 2 day maintenance program the noise Well we let kids enjoy themselves.7) The fan is a 12 volt fan for after the midnight shutdown 240 volt stand fans are in all rooms for all other times.8) The guest never mentioned the credit card problem & i agree if this happened it is not acceptable However it has not happened before in the last 10 years .In closing i am sorry the guest did not enjoy our ( Down To Earth Culture Stay mixed with real local Fijian staff that have the attitude of ( COME AS A GUEST LEAVE AS PART OF OUR FAMILY) check FACE BOOK GROUPS this also is the attitude of the owners. Also our wonderful entertainment & activities free to all house guests

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights. We had the most amazing 3 days!!! If you want somewhere to relax, chill out and make friends this is the island!!!!! Drinking coconuts, making cocunut jewelry theres EVERYTHING!!! Its rained a bit when we were on the island but that didnt dampen anyones spriit !! The show must go on!!! ANd the fire show did in the rain!!! The shows were incredible!! The staff on the island make you feel like a big family and are so friendly couldnt ask for more!!! They do welcome ceremonies for every new islander with their traditonal drink CAVA!!!! They then called us the cavaholics through our whole trip due too much cava drinking!! We also met some amazing people on the island too!! WE miss our Robinson Crusoe family!!!! BULAAA!!!!!!!! Vinaka

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank livvyandolly
Ndola, Zambia
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I have had the most amazing week - as a workaholic to not turn on a computer for a week says it all. I have never had such a wonderful relaxing time - and did 12 dives! The food was excellent, and the bed was very comfortable - I slept so well.The service and friendliness is second to none - this was genuine and the farewell hugs were sad. Between the dives the hardest decision was which hammock to chill out in! That's when not drinking green coconuts, island walking or making coconut jewellery. What was not highlighted is how good the diving is - only 5 minutes from the resort and I was diving with the great guys from Fiji Reef Dive in some excellent sites. i had my own room and ensuite, but the shared facilities were also spotless. As this is more towards the backpacker, you will need to bring a towel, but linen is supplied. The dancing and fir shows were really fun and of high quality. The kave ceremonies were also fun. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank bevcory
rcisland, Owner at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Thanks Bev for your review as i recall you came to our paradise for 2 nights and stayed & stayed & stayed ( we have just managed to scrape the reserved for Bev off the hammock under the coconut palm on the beach) . We are so happy you enjoyed what we have to offer on Robinson Crusoe & i also recon the diving on our reef is 2nd to none in fiji and so close .To finish we always have trouble say goodbye to new family so our fairwell (moce ) was very genuine and heart felt we hope to see you at our home again soon CHEERS
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 May 2011

If you are looking for somewhere to just kick back and relax, this is the place. If sometimes you want company and to meet new people, this is the place. The staff make the experience, there are wonderful and you feel like part of the family. There are island concerts which are fabulous entertainment and plenty of activities if you're wanting to keep busy. But if you just want to lie on the beach, read your book in a hammock or have an afternoon siesta this is the place to do it. We'll be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MadTraveller40
Groesbeek, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I have stayed here for 2 days through Feejee Experience and was the beginning of my experience. Nothing what I have seen furthermore is better then the fun I had on Robinson Crusoe Island! The staff was fantastic! Bula Maria! I miss you all!

Even the showers were awesomely inventive! Every cent was/is worth it and as soon as I have earned more I will be found over here!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Its great you had a good time for your short stay there is something about the feeling you get being part of Robinson Crusoe even though you stayed only 2 nights we think its a combo of the staff (family) the great culture and a beautiful Island i know you felt it & the FEEJEE X 2night add deal you were on is GOOOOOD value Please come back one day
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed for 6 nights and were not bored once, the island is beautiful but nothing compared to the staff who really make the place. The activities are free to join in for all those staying on the island and they are really worthwhile and the fire dancing is amazing! Everyone was so welcoming and we had the best time ever! I would go back this second if I could!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Most amazing 2 days spent in Fiji. I had 48 hours to spend in Fiji, and I chose to spend 2 days and 1 night on Robinson Crusoe Island. I am so happy with my choice. The staff were incredibly friendly, they all learned my name the morning I arrived and used it every time they saw me. I was upgraded to my own bure that had a shower and toilet connected to the main room. Ceiling fan provided a nice cool breeze in the warm weather.

I can't say enough about my experience, and the service of the staff. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
#3 of 9 in Sigatoka
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Robinson Crusoe Island Resort? Share your experiences!