“Robinson Crusoe Swamp”

Robinson Crusoe Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Likuri Island
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Well where do we start. Having researched places to stay, this island appeared to be "amazing". Their website talked the place up, reviews on TripAdvisor confirmed this, but we should have probably paid more attention to the negative comments.

Upon our return we read the "negative" feedback on here, and had to laugh as they were so true. The reply comments made by the owners were misleading and dismissive of peoples actual experience which is a shame as being ignorant to ones short comings won't improve the state of island and what it can offer for tourists.

Don't get me wrong, the island looks beautiful, both on the website and from the pictures we took. The fact is though that the island sits at the mouth of a dirty estuary a few hundred metres off shore in shallow mixed salty and fresh water. The beach is littered with moss and debre from recent floods. Swimming was not enjoyable as when you emerged from the lagoon, you looked like a swamp monster. It pays to wash your swimming attire straight away as the stench the following day is horrible. Snorkeling is impossible as visibility is at best non exsistent.

The resort is basic and mismashed.

There was little thought to the layout with bures scattered with service areas. Our room wasn't serviced once while we were there, but admittedly we declined it on the first day and didn't complain about it.

What we had booked and paid for was for a lodge, but were placed in a shack until we complained. Reading a previous review I think it was us that had them kicked out of the room - and for this I feel embarrassed... But if you paid more for 'luxury' you should expect that is what you would get.

The food was very average except when day visitors came and it improved slightly.

Overall for the price we paid it was okay.

Just don't expect crystal clear waters, a clean beach and amazing food.

In saying all of that the staff were awesome, very friendly, welcoming and genuinely appeared sad that we were leaving. They would be the only reason I would return.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank rayrangi
rcisland, Marketing representative at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

We are sorry that some of your time with us did not meet your expectations. Sadly we are not in control of Mother Nature and if the weather is inclement then the outcome for the island will be murky water, which you will experience around most islands on a bad day. We are situated near to a river mouth which can wash some debris along in nasty weather. All levels of our accommodation are traditionally themed and most will resemble traditional Bure's and certainly not shacks. Mostly guests are excited by the experience of the true Fijian feeling of our Island. We do however respect your feedback which management will also view and take on board.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife and I and our two teenage (15 & 17) children have just had 7 days on the island. We wanted an experience of Fiji, its people and some of its culture. We have been lucky enough over the years to stay in "name brand" 5 stars in various places and they offer the same flavour in different locations. RC island is beautiful, the food is authentic and excellent, the dance shows are extremely good and if you give the staff a chance they look after you ...and offer their friendship. We'll be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bugeye88
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We were in Fiji on a rugby tour U'14's we thought this would be a great experience for the boys as we were saying at the Naviti, to take them out to the islands. The brochure promises pristine water perfect for snorkling, but water was very brown and snorkling only done at high tide, they also advertised turtle viewing, no turtles in was a trick with a man hiding under a shell. Also advertised banana boat rides and tube rides they didnt exist either so with 14, 13 year old boys stuck on an island on a very hot day they couldn't even swim in the ocean it was so brown and the resort pool resembled a cess pit what to do when stuck there all day. We felt that at $100.00 per person as the boys were classified as adults, and I have to add that after pre paying for this all inclusive tour we were hit up at the wharf for another $10.00 per person we had 24 in our group for a petrol levy. We felt very ripped off and taken advantage of at the end of this long day.

DON'T GO, DON'T GO THIS PLACE IS A SHAM

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Humi268
rcisland, Owner at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

First of all i am sorry this guest did not enjoy their day on Robinson Crusoe, however i would like to answer some of the negative comments. First of all our brochures clearly states that water sports and snorkeling are water and weather dependent unfortunately on this day according to the guest our water was not at its best. For this we apologies but snorkeling is only part of what we do on Robinson Crusoe, this guest made no mention of the fabulous day show which includes one and a half hours of Polynesian dancing, knife dancing and fire dancing and as we are blessed with the best dance group in Fiji and we are recognized by the other 12,000 guests we get per year as the best they have ever experienced. There was also no mention of coconut tree climbing and story, medicine man bush walk, crab racing, spectacular food consisting of Roast chicken, fish, ham, lovo vegetables and fresh salads. Unfortunately the extreme efforts of our 40 plus fijian staff of the day to ensure this guest had a great time it did not happen. In regards the fuel charge it clearly states on our brochure there is a FJ$10 fuel charge which is for boat fuel and diesel generator fuel and due to pricing fluctuations conflicting with brochure print times, it is sometimes impossible to add it to our brochure price. We were also told by the tour desk of where they booked this was clearly explained and they understood. As for our resort pool it is thoroughly cleaned, tested and sanitized daily to ensure that it is not a cess pit and turtle viewing is something that we have done on the island for 12 years, seen by 100,000 or more people that accepted in the spirit of which it is meant unfortunately this guest did not get it. I was also on duty that day and never received a complaint from this guest nor did we receive a complaint from the tour desk from where they booked but again we are sorry this guest did not enjoy their experience.

Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

This was my fourth trip to Rci this time with a friend and a baby. Staff remembered me an called me by name as they go off the boat at the jetty. Having not been for 18 months I was worried about coping with the baby with no hot water, no kettle and shared facilities. To my utter happiness my room now had its own private bathroom and kettle for boiling water. Staff happily led me into te kitchen to lend me a tub for bathing the baby which they let me keep the whole time. I had bites on my legs from a hotel in Suva and the management gave me her bottle of stingoes which helped straight away. Staff were great with my son, he disappeared quite often with the staff, Frances even babysitting on my last day so I could pack in peace (not that I wanted to). The staff brought out a mattress and blanket on the first night so he could lay safely asleep in the shop so I could stay out of my room while he slept.
The upgrades were fantastic. I couldn't believe how professional the rooms and ensuites were. Brilliant. I can't say enough positive things about Rci. The staff are still the best aspect, even with the big changes since the last time I was there. I have a wedding in Suva in late January but ill once again be going back for at least a week first.
Also my friend and all house guests were upgraded to bures for free as there was a large booking for the dorm for two of the nights we were there. Thanx again Wayne, kaz, sue, graham and staff. Can't wait to come back in January

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank denimw
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Spent four nights on the island which is a sand cay at the mouth of a river. Golden sand and palm trees but not a coral island with clear water and lots of fish life.

We were picked up by mini van from our Nadi hotel and transferred to a makeshift jetty on a river. No sign of any sea. We learned the jetty had been washed away in a big flood earlier in the year. We waited for about 20 minutes then two tour buses arrived to disgorge day visitors on a package. Crammed onto the boat obeying the guide instruction " bum to bum" and headed off down the river through the mangroves for about 25 minutes then out to the sea and the little island. First impressions very favorable. Long sandy beach. Coconut palms with hammocks and swing seats. Bar with a big deck and glimpses of huts in the trees.

The small group who were staying nights were taken to reception where check in was done. Valuables put into the safe there. Then off to see our hibiscus lodge. Very nice. Large with en suite bathroom and big deck looking towards the ocean. A bit noisy as the next building along was the generator shed but it doesn't run 24/7 so wasn't really a problem. Had a look at the more basic rooms with share ablutions. Ok but ours was better for not too much more cost overall.

The next four days were spent eating, sleeping, reading and relaxing. It did not take a long time to explore the island. We took out kayaks and headed towards the main reef before paddling back. Enjoyed the staff very much. They worked really hard to make sure people were ok but without being intrusive. A very good floor show after lunch on the day we arrived and games and singing in the evenings. I will always think of "Hey Soul Sister" as three guitars, four singers, wind in the palms and kava.

The resort is set up to give day tourists a taste of a tropical island and they do this well. I kept waiting for one of the staff to say "hi de hi". After the first day we tended to leave the main facilities to the day trippers and adjourn to our deck with a book. Or to the bed for a snooze. The visitors arrive about 11.00 and leave about 4.00. By the second day we were going down to the beach to wave them goodbye and reclaim our space. The third day was good. It rained all day. So hard that the 80 or so day trippers expected did not arrive because the excursion had to be cancelled. Everyone relaxed. Guests and staff.

Was ready to leave the island. Glad we had booked the four nights and not three. Also glad we had booked four nights and not five.

The island itself is ordinary. Swimming ok at all tides but snorkeling not worth bringing the goggles. Food is adequate and plentiful without being memorable. Bar has a reasonable range and is not too overpriced. The discount drinks package was better value than buying one at a time as they would hold the bottle of wine with our name on it until finished. The staff made a great difference. They worked really hard to provide people with the best experience they could give. Without their efforts it would have been very flat.

Facilities are marginal to good and with all the idiosyncrasies that are standard in the tropics. Water that sometimes flows from the taps and sometimes doesn't. lights that sometimes work and sometimes don't. Creatures that run across the roofs or scuttle around on the deck.

Did we enjoy our time on the island. Yes - with reservations. Would we go back. Probably not. Would we recommend it to friends. Yes if they wanted a day trip out of their Nadi hotel. No if they wanted sun sand and swimming on a real tropical island

Room Tip: Get an en suite lodgeif you can afford it
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moggy38
rcisland, Owner at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

This guest obviously enjoyed their stay, i do recall their party of four and had a brief conversation with them in regards the enjoyment of their stay. Robinson Crusoe's snorkeling area is on our fringing reef and not off the island. We cater for this by taking guests on our custom built catamaran twice daily and snorkeling is usually enjoyed by all but is sea and weather dependent. Our jetty has been completed since this guests stay with new toilets and shelters, we are now gardening the area to bring it back to its former glory . Boat capacity is for 200 plus guests in 4 boats, they are all surveyed, have qualified captains and are well maintained the boat capacity is as per marine regulation. Very nice to hear the guest enjoyed our Hibiscus Lodge which is one of eight Bure's we have recently upgraded, they have been tasteful furnished in fijian island style some with garden ensuites which makes outdoor showering under the stars a enjoyable experience. We are sorry in regards the generator noise however we are about to take delivery of our new silent running generator which should fix this in the near future. The guests observation of our wonderful staff, some of which have been here since the resort was built 12 years ago and they have become a family and do spend a lot of time with guests who soon realize their personalities are very important to what we do here on Robinson Crusoe.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We read some reviews before to go there but we didn`t follow that, we had just 3 days left in our trip, we where in natadola beach that was really expensive and the shortest trip provided for the yellow boat Bulacombopass was 5 days long, than we were almost obliged to go there.
When we arrived the same thing that everybody though was that the sea wasn`t like in the pictures, the island is in front of a river estuary and the water is always BROWN....
We booked a package for two nights 2 night Cultural stay with different FREE ACTIVITIES included, we had to stay in the dorm but there was a school that had booked all the places available than they put us in a LODGE, beautiful, I mean, for sure I wouldn`t pay all those money for that accomodation but we had to stay in the dorm than we were lucky....the problem was that two new guests booked that accomodation and after 2 hours we had to move...UNBELIVABLE, it is suppose to be a good country for the Hospitality but this staff, if we call that in this way, was totally incompetent, they moved us to the smallest Bure at the end of the resort, just in front of a store room..
Because the resort is this, if you pay less you are a second level guest.
THE FREE ACTIVITIES are almost a fraud, fortunately we didn`t go there for those but the SEA KAYAKYNG is just a small ride in front of the island, with nothing to see (the water is completely brown), and turn around the island is almost impossible during the low tide, and during the high one there is too much current....
THE SNORKELING they just bring you one kilometer in front of the island, you put the mask hoping to see something but nothing, you are over a kind of rock, the only fish that sometime you can see is a small blue one, actually I don`t understand how they can call it Snorkeling, RIDICULOUS!!!
THE TREE CLIMBING AND JUICE TASTING is a guy that climbs a palm, he opens the cocos and you can drink, the activities is finished, is just 3 minutes long.
But the best is the food, the brochure said that they were famous for the food....Ok, maybe if somebody wants to be on a diet is the best place in the world, a lot of vegetables (the cheap ones, cabbages, carrots, onions) a lot of bread (that one that you can find in the supermarket for nothing, white sliced bread) and just a small portion of meat, is a buffet but when there is the meat there is a woman as well with a tea spoon giving portion to the people, don`t worries if she gives you a really small portion, is habits in the island (I think so) to do 3 or 4 trip there to take a normal portion....I had to make me full just with vegetables and bread!!!
And you have to pay the drink!!! The water is not supplied during the meals, is impossible I though, the should give us the water at least in the meals, but you will discover that the impossible things and the real things in this island are often the same thing.. ( the prices are 5$ for a bottle of water, 10$ for a Heiniken and 15$ for a Vonu).
A but different when is in program the day cruise to the island, the lunch is a bit bigger than usually, always cheap stuff like rice or pasta, potatoes and what else, but at least enought to call it a lunch, there was a nice show (a bit expensive if you think that you are paying more than 100 dollars each just for few hours trip a poor meal and nothing else), and a short walk in the jungle, 15 minutes long...
To conclude, we had the flight the last day at 8.00pm from nadi, we asked if they could bring us there and they said there was a boat at 4.30pm and than the bus, if we wanted we could take the lunch for the last day, the extra price was 20$ each!!!!! We said we didn`t want the lunch but they said that if we wanted leave at 4.30 we had to take it......we left at 9.00am!!!!
We went to the Yasawas as well, a real paradise and for the SAME MONEY!!!!!
Than, PLEASE, don`t waste your time and your money going to Robinson Crusoe, go to the Yasawas, the way the Fiji should be....

CLAUDIO & VALENTINA

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claudio B

This couple were known to the staff and were not happy from the moment they landed on Robinson Crusoe and if our staff with their courteous and must please attitude could not change their feelings towards the service that we tried to provide on upgrading accommodation at no charge.....still not happy.....Food, great buffets go back as many times as you like, roast ham, roast pork, roast beef, chicken, fish, lovo vegetables, fresh salads and fruits.....still not happy.....Bar prices cheaper than main land hotels, we are an island with no roads, we barge all produce in daily we have generated power, costing $1000 a week just to keep the beer cold.....still not happy.....snorkeling and water sports very much weather and sea conditions dependent, it rained the day before and unfortunately at certain tides of the day we get some fresh water run off. We did our best on this day.....still not happy.....the show, we do 5times per week with 25 performers and we are very proud of offering the best culture experience in Fiji. Our house guests get this show free twice in a two night stay, the value being $338. This guest paid $326 and was upgraded and also received 4extra meals and a lot more all this for less than the transfer to the Yasawa's.....still not happy....what can i say. however we take every complaint seriously and we will strive to keep even difficult guests happy

Reviewed 18 September 2012

A lovely little place with friendly staff (we really did feel like a part of the island family, they even made a birthday cake for my partner!), good food (buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner included in meal package and then bar/drinks at your own cost), clean and basic facilities and total peace of mind. We stayed for 6 nights, which might not be what you are after if you need an action packed holiday. But we were after a week of total relaxation, so for us this little lovely island gave us everything we needed. It's a small place, but it offers free kayaking, snorkelling, amazing dance shows and many laughs. Or you can just sit in one of the many hammocks and let the lovely island breeze rock you into complete relaxation mode.

You will have to accept that most things are run on Fiji time (meaning slightly after schedule sometimes), but that's part of the charm with being relaxed and on holiday!) We travelled as a couple for our first holiday together, but also saw a few guests travelling with kids and they absolutely loved it too, the staff are great with looking after the little ones whilst the parents relax.The mix of guests on the island ranging from couples, families and backpackers is great and contributes to the great atmosphere.

We will definitely go back at some point in the future, and maybe even bring some friends with us then!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Bure levu, which is a small hut for 2 ppl with double/king bed and we loved it. It...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
The Warwick Fiji
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 4 in Korolevu
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Robinson Crusoe Island Resort? Share your experiences!