Robinson Crusoe Island Resort
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Gecko's Resort(Sigatoka)
  • Pool
Tavarua Island Resort(Tavarua Island)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsday trippersnight tourfire showcaptain paulcombo tourcrabcoconut tree climbingjewellery makingkava ceremonycultural experiencefire walkingtraditional kavadrinking kavaplay volleyballshared facilitiesbuffet stylesnorkeling trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We did this tour for a full day .9 am until 10 pm , $209 each and my god was it amazing!!
We got picked up from our hotel by Oscar.....funniest guy ever.....Went on the boat to the Island, met some of the locals...Snorkled , ate ....danced. Leanred lots of histroy on Fiji and their way of life...

The food spread was out of this world and the fire walking and dancers were amazing. We had the best fun the best time.

This trip made our holiday ...as it was the first tour we did and we had rain the first two days we arrived...
The staff on this trip were all locals and amazingly friendly.
Only thing i would say about diving or swimming out far is be careful of the sea lice ..the hurt and itch :(

Room Tip: just book this trip.Best fun ever .True Fiji style
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Robinson Crusoe Island is the best holiday I have ever had! While the island is picturesque, the food is plentiful and delicious, and the activities are fantastic, it is the staff who really bring the island to life. I have never met a more delightful, charming and hilarious group of happy people. Everybody goes out of their way to know your name and make you feel welcome. I wish I could go back right now.

The resort is really a choose your own adventure. Whether you want to snooze/read in a beach hammock, go for a snorkel on the reef or beach, see the majestic sea turtle (so moving), go for a kayak or even fishing - or perhaps just having a beer or cocktail at the amazing Wreck Bar - Robinson Crusoe has you covered. Enjoy a relaxing break or an extreme sea adventure, it's up to you. I split my time between the two extremes, and it was the exact break I needed.

The traditional nature of the demonstrations is amazing! From the traditional fire-pit cooking and fire walking, the herbal medicine-man walk, to the thrilling dances and kava ceremonies, the Fijian people throw themselves into everything with a passion which fascinates and enchants.

It needs to be noted that this is not a 5-star resort. The drinks are cold, the coffee is hot, the ocean is crystal clear and there are electric lights, but this island is ruled by a traditional way-of-life. Some rooms have outside (but private) showers, the dorms have shared facilities, hot water is not always readily available - but in Fiji who needs hot showers? If you're looking for a pay-TV watching, room-service delivering, shopping-for-junk-you-don't-need holiday, maybe you'll be happier at a resort. But if you're looking for a pay-TV watching, room-service delivering, shopping-for-junk-you-don't-need holiday why leave home? On the other hand, if you're looking for an experience you'll never forget, in one of the most beautiful places in the world, with the most lovely people you'll ever meet, choose Robinson Crusoe Island.

Moce Sota-tale
I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChiefAngryCat
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say to"Zeflyingchef"stay at the Sheraton next time:(:(Robinson Crusoe Island have busted their banks to get the island how it is now.We have been staying and daily visiting for the last ten years.Your description of daily Cattle visitors is very insulting.The managers which we personally know have worked so hard over the years to improving this beautiful island for the benifit of backpackers,families,day trippers.The Island is not 5 star it's 10 star for what you get in true Fijian entertainment.I have nothing but praise for the owners of this beautiful Island that have opened it up for all to enjoy.I have said to many people which I advise to visit that it is the best day trip to take as the entertainment and activities are the best in Fiji.
We were quite aware before staying overnight of the wonderful bucket showers,our whole group loved everything.The Buffett is fantastic:):):)I love RCI and we will be back.The staff are so well organised with all aspects of their duties.Thanks again to the great managers(no names allowed) for our reserved tables on our day trip to celebrate our 40th Anniversary
Marg&Gaz Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
I see you baby

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank otanghunters
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My family and I spent a couples of night this October.

I am writing here a complete review so everyone knows for sure what they are in for.
We booked direct. No point booking online as it is not cheaper.
The pick up point can be arranged almost anywhere in town. Our pick up was from Denarau.
The pick up was on time and the ride was a luxury and modern coach.
After picking up a few more guest we were on our way. A tourist guide boarded the bus and the entertainment started. Ratu was her name and was very good at her job and the 45m journey to the pier a breeze.

We were then transferred to the ferry. Before boarding the night tour guest were charged a phony F$10 "fuel surcharge" which is by all mean an organized scam. Then again if you book your night tour in Denarau the tour is extremely cheap so in the end it is still allright.
We resident guest didn't have to pay for this fake charge. Fuel surcharge only applies to Airlines, ah ah ah, good scam i must say.
Anyhow we were then our way and greeted by the local staff who were full of action.
There's a cooler box on board the boat so one can enjoy a cold one on the way to the island which is a pleasant river cruise. The guys play music and sing. It's all very good but i would like to stress to the management that no one, and i mean including aussies as much as thick of a cattle class they can be, no one want to hear the staff trying to cheer them up by shouting the ridiculous anthem "Aussi Aussie Aussie oy oy oy !" Please for god sake guys STOP doing this !!! It is for one ridiculous, two it annoys everyone, three I can't stand being mistaken for a low class thick Aussie guy. It is insulting, please discontinue. Cheers much appreciated.
Once on the island you are greeted in the traditional pacific style. Very nice indeed.
The check in is fast, and we were soon in our rooms.
Now about the room, they are fine, but they do not bother letting anyone know that the bure levu has no hot shower. This is a no no in the hotelier business . They should make it clear that only the island lodges have such facilities.
The shower itself is ok and has that outdoor island feeling. Please do note the shower is not an ensuite but outside, although it is private. I only wish they would have a private path so one could walk naked to his bathroom and not having to dress up just to go take a pee.
When we were there, they had an obvious water shortage problem which was fixed on the next day, although it did repeat itself a few times during our stay. The staff did their best to fix this.
But at no time the manager came to have a chat with us about this issue.
We were told the dinner was served from 19h10 onward to 20h00. However by 19h15 a herd of starving Aussies cheap tourists already had ransacked the buffet and nothing was left.
After a struggle with the showers, we turned up for the buffet at 19h35 and found a devastated empty buffet.
None of the kitchen staff was going to replenish it, so i asked strongly and then they did put a bit of meat back in the dishes.
The advertised delicious buffet could have been nice, we wouldn't know. There was no sign of any desserts either.
I approached the staff about this empty buffet and yet again no manager came out to apologize.
Then the evening fire show started. It was brilliant and all the staff worked hard to give us a great show..Raru our guide was part of it too..this girl is good, really good..a gem..but then again the show was tainted with this stupid aussie oy oy thing...all the time...tss tss
The drinks at the bar are cheap and you can buy 5 for 28 F$, in short not much, and the rum is great. The bartender was good at his job too.

On the next morning this time we turned up for the 8 to 9 am breakfast...but by 6h50 the backpackers who stayed on the island already took everything....all that was left was a casserole of badly burned baked beans. After much complaining the staff put back some fresh fruits on the table. If you do ask they do, but if you don't they won't...and that's not good at all.

then it was time for the daily activities which you can only do with the annoying aussie cattle day tour....so not so good in the end.
I though of going to the water park for the morning, but then i realized that the water park in question was in fact a bunch of ridiculous floating inflatable dingy. And for this they murder you of F$ 40....i am sorry but this a complete joke.
I live in Vanuatu and the beach bar next to my house also has the same exact floating dingy's and they are of course free of charge, not mentioning only for kid use. These guys are dreaming...maybe for F$10 it could be worth a visit, but for F$40 they are taking the mickey really.
Seriously by then i was ready to pack up and leave.
But then it all changed for the best. Despite the arrival of another herd of day tour cheap and thick fat tourists, the entertainment the staff pulled was brilliant and all good fun.
To my surprise the lunch buffet was really superb and plenty full. Although still no desserts, no even a fruit...that's a no no Mr cheap skate manager.
The afternoon was pleasant and finally the day tour cattle's left the island, and since there was no night tour, the island was suddenly feeling deserted again. Oh boy i really enjoyed that.
The dinner was an intimate curry buffet with 3 kind of curries, naan, vegs rice, etc...really good.
What a change as compared to the crap we had on our first night.
After dinner, the staff sat down and played some tunes....this was really nice.
Unlike the managers who obviously couldn't give a toss about their guests, the staff is brilliant and the true driving engine of this resort.
At no time i saw any manager chatting with guests. The staff seem to think their manager is a nice guy, so i guess this count's for something. But If i was the owner, i'd be worried that he can't or wont handle guests issues, or doesn't even do any sort of socializing with the guests.
The resort beach is nice, white and clean. Don't expect to snorkel there though, there's not much to see. For this the resort will take you by boat to a snorkeling point. However on that day the weather didn't permit any snorkeling trip.
One can rent a jet ski but unfortunately the rates are aimed at the aussie fancy market, so way too expensive...F$120 for 15m...hello ?!!! Then again the jet skies belong to the same owner who manage the lousy floating dingy rubbish water park. No surprise there..another greedy operator.
On the other hand you can rent a kayak for free.
Never the less for me i was just happy drinking beer and lazying on the beach hammocks.
On our last day the breakfast was nice, and we even pancakes and soon enough it was time to head back to the mainland to continue our trip.
We could have stayed until 16h30 but we had to go.
Please note that you do pay F$ 79 for 3 meals a day. We paid F$ 158 for 2 days stay but if you choose to go on the early 9 am boat transfer you will not get refunded for the lunch you are not taking...and that is a bit of a scam really.
So there you go, in a nut shell yes the resort is pretty, the food can be really good, drinks are cheap, the staff is number one, the accommodations is nice and original, the transfers to the island are tip top.
On this note i find it surprising that should you wish to rent a car and elect to only take the ferry, the resort still charges you an hefty F$75 R/T....this should be complimentary for guest really, if not how on earth are you suppose to reach the resort ?!

Anyhow all good, it can be fun but but there is a but.
This resort would be miles better without the herd of cheap aussie tourist coming to invade daily this otherwise very nice island.
By all means the owners are greedy and decided to tap into the aussie cattle class market, and for this i will not return there.
Also the managers were no were to be seen so in my opinion, they just can't be bothered...as long as another fresh ship of stupid aussies is on it's way , what's the worries right ?

If you want to go there, do so baring all this in mind, and i would suggest you check when they have tours, because they don't always have so which is i guess a blessing, for the guest, staff and island itself.
Vinaka !!

Room Tip: Take an island lodge if not you won't have hot showers and fiji isn't always hot.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Zeflyingchef
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The staff here were very very friendly and so helpful. I was unfortunately eaten alive by insects and with over 60 bites on my lower legs I had an allergic reaction and needed to be brought back to the main land - on an unscheduled boat with the manager himself. He made me a Doctors appointment with his English speaking Doctor, personally drove me into town, showed me where the Doctors office was and dropped me off at the hotel I was staying at that night.
The second night of my stay at RCI was credited to the sister hotel in Nadi and I did not have to pay any extra. I was given a refund on my daily food payment at RCI and this paid for my meals in Nadi.

I would recommend this Resort to everyone and you can get involved as much or as little as you feel like. Well worth every penny.

PS Take the strongest insect repellent you can get your hands on.

Room Tip: All Hutts are fantastic, don't forget to turn on the insect power repellent power points. You have your own outdoor shower - very cool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo