“Needs new management”
Review of Cedar Stone Lodge

Cedar Stone Lodge
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I arrived on my scheduled day and time to any empty lodge to find an envelope with my room key and an apology that no-one was there at my arrival. I naively assumed someone would be there later and went to a wonderful bluegrass concert near by. I came back at 9 PM and was locked out of the building. I had to call a number on the door and then wait a half hour (sitting locked in my car- as the area is quite isolated) for a landscaper with a key to come let me in. I was traveling alone- and there was no one else in the building- including no staff. If I had known somewhere else to go, I would have left then. I spent the night in my room with a light on and my phone in hand- anxious at any creaking noise and hardly able to sleep. I sent in an evaluation with my concerns at not being notified beforehand there would be no-one else in the buillding. When I received a call back from the manager, instead of concern for what I went through, I was made to feel that:
1. I should have known "a lodge would have no staff in the building overnight"- I have stayed at many lodges and this has never been the case.
2. It was no big deal for a lone woman to be staying in an empty lodge-"no-one has ever complained about this before."
3. It was my own fault I got locked out- I was told I must have "hit the lock on the way out." If this were so it must be very flimsy, as all I did was walk out of the building.
The lodge looks like it could be a nice place, and the room was clean (although I agree with a prior reviewer that the sheets were threadbare). But clearly there is a serious problem with the present management.
I wish I had looked at Trip Advisor before my trio- it looks like there are several bed and breakfasts nearby where I would have a much more pleasant experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank A2journeys
CedarStoneLodge, Public Relations Manager at Cedar Stone Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

We are so sorry about your experience in 2012. We have changed our booking policies to cater specifically for events with ten or more people, and we have a new on-site manager. We do hope that you will consider Cedar Stone Lodge again in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

A group of friends have been reserving the Cedar Stone Lodge for several years. 2009 was our first experience there and the lodge was all newly renovated with beautiful new floors and a beautiful new kitchen. We were happy with our stay in 2010 and 2011, however, 2012 has been a disappointment. The refrigerator and ovens in the kitchen were especially filthy. We called to complain and two women did show up and made an attempt to clean it up, but the refrigerator and ovens really need a deep cleaning. We were also disappointed in the linens in our room. They were clean, but looked like they were ready for the "rag bag". The throw rugs by the tub and another by the sink looked like they had never been laundered or even shook out (two bobbie pins stuck in ours). I hope these issues are taken care of, I hate to see such a fun place go downhill so quickly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gail F

We are so sorry about your experience in 2012. We have a new on-site manager, and we do hope that you will consider Cedar Stone Lodge again in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I made a reservation for this place in January of 2012 for July 12 and 13, 2012. Several of my family members also reserved rooms at this lodge at the same time. We were planning a 40th birthday party for two people who were actually born on the same day and have not celebrated a birthday together since they were children. Last night, one week before our trip, they called one person in our party and cancelled all of our reservations. We had planned this trip for six months. We have young children, as do others in our party, and planned their activities, other trips, time off work, basically our entire summer around this trip only to have them call and tell us they had double booked the lodge. I guess they chose to allow others to keep their reservations and not us. We had 16 people coming to stay here and celebrate a momentous occasion. We had reservations with a local canoe rental company to float on the river. I guess that establishment will also miss out on our business. I would never try to reserve a room at this place again and I would never recommend a friend or family member do so either. I still, at this time, have not received a phone call from this business cancelling my reservation, even though we all made our reservations separately. This is the absolute most unprofessional way to run a business that I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Laura V

Reviewed 3 May 2010

My wife and I spent one night at Cedar Stone Lodge, a beautiful property set back from the main highway (MO-19) on a hill with expansive lawns and beautiful views of the surrounding rolling hills. The buildings and grounds are immaculate and very well maintained. The main lodge is very attractive and has eleven rooms of various sizes, a large commons area with a fireplace and TV, and a large modern, fully equipped kitchen. In addition there are four cabins and the bunkhouse, which is about a hundred yards away from the lodge and the cabins, providing a quiet, private space. The bunkhouse has two suites in a side-by-side duplex. Both have porches with a table, chairs, and a grill. Our bunkhouse suite had a bedroom with king bed, full bath, TV, and a kitchen (sink, refrigerator, microwave, dishes, and silverware). The bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of nice towels. The suite was tastefully decorated but small compared with most motel/hotel suites we’ve stayed in. There is an eating counter with two stools but no other chairs (though there’s space to move one in from the porch). We spent most of our late afternoon and evening on the porch enjoying the view. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay in the bunkhouse again.

This property is ideally suited to group events such as reunions and weddings. In addition to the common area in the lodge, there are various gathering places on the property, including a covered pavilion, decks, picnic tables, grills, at least one place for a bonfire, and playground equipment. The manager told us that typically groups rent the entire lodge for a weekend or longer and cook or engage caterers. If you’re not with a group for which food has been arranged and are staying for a one- or two- night stopover, note that Eminence is a very small town. (Cedar Point Lodge is just south of the edge of town.) There is a well-stocked grocery store but very few dining choices. Our carry-out pizza from Hideaway Pizza was excellent as was breakfast at Sarah’s Family Restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheLibrarian

We are so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at Cedar Stone Lodge. We have changed our booking policies to cater specifically for events with ten or more people, and we have a new on-site manager. We do hope that you will consider Cedar Stone Lodge again in the future.

Been to Cedar Stone Lodge? Share your experiences!