“Wonderful Wedding Weekend”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We attended a beautiful wedding reception at the hotel - this was our reason for staying. There were two wedding receptions going on at the same time, I felt that staff did their best to accommodate both parties. There was a lot of noise and people mingling in the lobby/bar area from the weddings as described in the last review, but we were not bothered by it at all - I think this is to be expected when you are also a wedding venue.. Everyone was getting along just fine, we didn't have or witness any problems. The guests were a mix of young adults, families with children and ladies on a weekend getaway. After dancing all night, we were able to swim in the outdoor pool until midnight! Once we returned to our suite, no noise could be heard. The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. We had a Parlor Suite on the 5th floor which was a two-room suite with a private bedroom and a jacuzzi tub that fit one person. The king-sized bed had a memory foam mattress & feather pillows. We loved the architecture and charm this hotel offered. The hotel offered a ghost tour at 10pm (not sure if this was free?)

Being on the 5th (top) floor had extra perks like a nice meeting area with sofas and a large dining table. The wedding party booked the entire 5th floor and were able to have cocktails here in the evening and continental breakfast the following morning. (awesome perk!)

Property Info: There is a garden with gazebo and walking trails. Two pools - one inside, one outside with large separate jacuzzi. The indoor pool was kind of like a lazy river/lap pool that the kids seemed to enjoy. The spa looked very intriguing, though we did not visit it. They had a little cafe in the lobby and full service restaurant that offered dinner and a breakfast buffet.

We had a great time at this hotel and will definitely return. It is a wonderful wedding reception site if you are looking for one!

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor room with a jacuzzi! They said the most haunted rooms are on the 5th floor. :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed at the Elms several times in the past and Loved it! We were planning a family get away with the kids and grandkids, somewhere that has grounds to walk and play plus choice of swimming in or out. That would be the Elms. The prices are way higher than before the renovations which really wasn't that noticeable. The downstairs restaraunt was WAY overpriced and the food was not that good, with few choices. Breakfast used to be included with your stay but not now... Good breakfast buffet but $11.50 per person which is expensive when there are nine people in your party. They were having two weddings and the noise was horrible especially after the weddings were over and they all began to PARTY. They were running up and down all the floors and it was hard to get to and from our room or anywhere on the grounds. The hotel had to call in police for extra security. How comforting and relaxing is that especially having our grandchildren with us!!!!
We had 2 rooms and my daughter and her family had a horrible experience with some man passed out in front of their room door snoring loudly and they had to call front desk for help to remove this man. They got no rest and had two kids with them.
I'm very disappointed that such a nice historic hotel would allow this kind of behavior or these kind of guest stay at the hotel. People with no respect for historic Hotel should be allowed to stay there. Very upsetting! They cater to the weddings and not the other guest like us.
At checkout I ended up getting my daughters room for free but had to pay $25.10 in tax. Why pay tax if the room wasn't charged? They took $50.00 off our room per 2 nights and ended up giving us nine breakfast vouchers for my entire family.
They told me at checkout to try them again but during the week days when its quite, but most people work and can't stay unless its the weekend. Right? Not sure if I will ever go back or for sure take my family there. I'll have to find another historic place to take my family that has respect for all their guest. Somewhere that doesn't let their drunken wedding reception guest trash the place as they did on this weekend.
VERY SAD AND DISAPPOINTING!!! My kids and grandkids first time there and after me bragging about the place, I was embarrassed!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Almost mystical ambience, very relaxing, rooms clean and nicely appointed, most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. The grounds are beautiful and charming, croquet sets on the lawn, herb garden, sand volleyball court, pools indoor and out. Next time will try a spa package. Very genuinely nice and engaged employees, warm friendly atmosphere. You can't help but relax:) Wish the mineral waters were still available. Very interesting history, theater and walking tours. Hotel food is excellent, and good BBQ place just a short block away. This place is doing everything the right way, especially enjoyed the Keurig machines in the room:)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MParker573
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This unique structure rises out of the farmland of Missouri. A stark limestone building seems so out of place. Enter the impressive lobby along with Harry Truman and Jack Dempsey. You will be greeted by the staff with genurine country warmth. The staff from the front desk to housekeeping to the restaurant are supurb. The rooms are small, but warmly furnished in the style of the old classic hotels. A nice outdoor pool is surrounded by old trees. The grounds are manicured and provide an opportunity for a pleasant walk. There is not much to do in Excelsior Springs or even at the hotel so come prepared to relax--really relax. A unique indoor pool is a real lap pool. About 100 yards per lap, it is truly a NASCAR type lap pool. The most impressive part of The Elms is the dining room where a five-star chef prepares dinners you would expect to find in New York City, Chicago or San Francisco. The creativity and blending of new flavors are outstanding. Want a getaway that will turn off your fast forward? This is it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The only reason I'm writing this review is to get the attention of the hotel managment. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. I'm very happy with the quality of the hotel and the spa.
The staff needs some attention. We arrived on a friday around 12:00pm. We were greeted very kindly from the front desk. However, when we went to the spa to check in early before our 2:00 couples massage I was greeted by a very unpleasant individual. My wife and I came up to the counter to sign in and the women's response was," What do you Want!". We told her we would like to use the grotto before our massage. Her response," You'll have to wait, I'm busy". I about lost it. We looked at each other in disbelief. We sat down and waited for her to finish her conversation with the other employee behind the counter. The fact that I now know all about her disrespect for her husband, and "how dare he call me to help get the cattle in". I would have some conversations with your employees. It was very obvious she doesn't like her job. It was not the way I wanted to start a relaxing weekend. She finally got somebody to take us back to the Grotto. The Grotto and massage were awesome, and the staff were great. When it was time to check out. Same Crap! Made me not want to go back the next day. We didn't!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joseph414
Reviewed 11 July 2013

A class act in every regard. World class Spa!!! The staff is very professional and friendly. The newly remodeled hotel was beautiful and kept it's historic feel. The grounds were beautiful and keep imaculate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is truly a beautiful hotel. It feels light and fresh and the customer service is second to none. Amazing, you feel like everyone wants to please you. There aren't enough words to describe how awesome this place is. And I could go on and on about the spa. Their spa is so fantastic and has amazing amenities. We love the grotto. This is such a truly special and warm place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park
24 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!