“needs a little tweaking”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I really want this hotel to succeed. My niece lives in this town and it could be a real draw for tourists and hopefully encourage business in the downtown area. However, this hotel could use a little improvement. Upon checkout the front desk told me I would be e-mailed an evaluation form. Since that hasn't happened, here it is. My mom and I stayed for 3 nights the week of 7-21. Staying at the same time we learned, were approx 180 people attending a liquid fertilizer conference. Let me say that every employee we encountered was kind and helpful and also appoligetic. Mind you, some of this may seem petty, but for the price they charge for a stay it's the little things that make you take notice. Our first morning there we went to the little coffee shop off the lobby. We were hoping for a vanilla chai tea. Informed that they were out of chai and vanilla and that the amount of people they have been serving were to blame. OK. So we went to the resaurant. My mom ordered scramble eggs. Ten minutes later they informed us they were out of eggs. Dissapointed my mom ordered pancakes. She asked me to go look at the serving trys out in the lobbly that had just catered to the fertilizer people. However the servers had just taken them in. Guess what, 5 min. after that we were informed that the truck came in and there were now eggs. My mom asked if they were the conference people leftovers and they said no, HMMM. That was the last time we ate there. Just one more note about the rest. On my last day, in the spa I was speaking with one of the conference coordinators and she asked if I had eaten in the rest. Told her my experience and she then said that the food was not good at the time they ate there. Also they never did get chai tea or vanilla in the 3 days we were there. Couldn't any one run to Walmart? The spa was wonderfu. We loved Amanda and Rachael who did our massage and facials. The jets in the hot tub in the grotto had no power at all. Although the grotto itself was very soothing. The outside pool was clean and enjoyable. Our room was beautiful. the bed had a tempupedic mattress. The room did smell though, and not a good smell. Almost as if there was a scent trying to cover up another scent. The air conditioner was loud but this I'm sure is becasue of the age of the hotel. WE want to make this an annual trip. I hope they learn to cater to not only big groups but families that like to come and stay now and then.

Room Tip: I have no idea. We stayed last year and this year and we have yet to find the perfect room. Last yea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank margaret a
There are newer reviews for The Elms Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This place was so quite and relaxing. I reccomend a 2 night stay with spa service and NO KIDS! Just mom and dad time, you know what I mean:-)
The grotto was awesome, the massage was great and the pool was fantastic! The room was far more than we anticipated. The casinos were closer than expected and the barbeque was tremendous. We went to the federal reserve museum and it was super cool. Live music and cheap drinks for night life and then to the casinos, what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: We used a groupon and got a great room and a massage for less than $300 bones. Highly recommended!
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We went to the Elms for a 55 yr old celebration. Two of my high school class mates and I went away for the weekend. It was a wonderful experience!! We stayed there and we were treated like royalty!! The Grotto was a new experience for all of us and it was terrific. The old hotel was clean and bright. It was updated a few years ago. The food at the restaurant was very good but service very slow the hotel still deserves 5 stars!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Wonderful getaway place.The best place for a very relaxing weekend escape.My wife and I love this place!!!!The community itself has interesting little places to go.The Wabash Bar-BQ is Great and is right next to the Elms.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Clean Hotel, staff was the nicest I've had, SPA was the best, Pool was clean & all the hot tubs were working, close to the Wabash. Didn't see any ghosts, the entire stay was a joy. Didn't want to leave.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We attended a beautiful wedding reception at the hotel - this was our reason for staying. There were two wedding receptions going on at the same time, I felt that staff did their best to accommodate both parties. There was a lot of noise and people mingling in the lobby/bar area from the weddings as described in the last review, but we were not bothered by it at all - I think this is to be expected when you are also a wedding venue.. Everyone was getting along just fine, we didn't have or witness any problems. The guests were a mix of young adults, families with children and ladies on a weekend getaway. After dancing all night, we were able to swim in the outdoor pool until midnight! Once we returned to our suite, no noise could be heard. The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. We had a Parlor Suite on the 5th floor which was a two-room suite with a private bedroom and a jacuzzi tub that fit one person. The king-sized bed had a memory foam mattress & feather pillows. We loved the architecture and charm this hotel offered. The hotel offered a ghost tour at 10pm (not sure if this was free?)

Being on the 5th (top) floor had extra perks like a nice meeting area with sofas and a large dining table. The wedding party booked the entire 5th floor and were able to have cocktails here in the evening and continental breakfast the following morning. (awesome perk!)

Property Info: There is a garden with gazebo and walking trails. Two pools - one inside, one outside with large separate jacuzzi. The indoor pool was kind of like a lazy river/lap pool that the kids seemed to enjoy. The spa looked very intriguing, though we did not visit it. They had a little cafe in the lobby and full service restaurant that offered dinner and a breakfast buffet.

We had a great time at this hotel and will definitely return. It is a wonderful wedding reception site if you are looking for one!

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor room with a jacuzzi! They said the most haunted rooms are on the 5th floor. :)
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed at the Elms several times in the past and Loved it! We were planning a family get away with the kids and grandkids, somewhere that has grounds to walk and play plus choice of swimming in or out. That would be the Elms. The prices are way higher than before the renovations which really wasn't that noticeable. The downstairs restaraunt was WAY overpriced and the food was not that good, with few choices. Breakfast used to be included with your stay but not now... Good breakfast buffet but $11.50 per person which is expensive when there are nine people in your party. They were having two weddings and the noise was horrible especially after the weddings were over and they all began to PARTY. They were running up and down all the floors and it was hard to get to and from our room or anywhere on the grounds. The hotel had to call in police for extra security. How comforting and relaxing is that especially having our grandchildren with us!!!!
We had 2 rooms and my daughter and her family had a horrible experience with some man passed out in front of their room door snoring loudly and they had to call front desk for help to remove this man. They got no rest and had two kids with them.
I'm very disappointed that such a nice historic hotel would allow this kind of behavior or these kind of guest stay at the hotel. People with no respect for historic Hotel should be allowed to stay there. Very upsetting! They cater to the weddings and not the other guest like us.
At checkout I ended up getting my daughters room for free but had to pay $25.10 in tax. Why pay tax if the room wasn't charged? They took $50.00 off our room per 2 nights and ended up giving us nine breakfast vouchers for my entire family.
They told me at checkout to try them again but during the week days when its quite, but most people work and can't stay unless its the weekend. Right? Not sure if I will ever go back or for sure take my family there. I'll have to find another historic place to take my family that has respect for all their guest. Somewhere that doesn't let their drunken wedding reception guest trash the place as they did on this weekend.
VERY SAD AND DISAPPOINTING!!! My kids and grandkids first time there and after me bragging about the place, I was embarrassed!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
#4 of 109 in Kansas City
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Quality Inn Kearney-Liberty

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!